PDA

View Full Version : Be aware

CHRI5
19-10-2009, 02:19 PM
A warning to what you post.

I was 'summoned' to a meeting with the district and group chair at the weekend because of a posting I put on here. Now the person that called in district did not see the post let alone the thread to which it was a part of, but was only going on what they had been told and then shown one post, they went to district.
In the meeting they had no idea to what the background was or that I was replying to prevoius post, or as I referred it, just hearing the last sentence of a phone call; not knowing was said prior or by the other person.
I won't go into anymore detail, but please be aware.

CHRI5

marcush
19-10-2009, 02:44 PM
ouch. I'm had something similar where I was just asked to take a post down as it may of affected something, so I'm careful when I do type just in case.

jelly
19-10-2009, 02:49 PM
You have to remember that this is a public forum - and anybody can read what you post here.

You might know some of the people that do post on here, but there are plenty of people that just lurk.

I do know that escouts posts have been mentioned during informal meetings by people in my district that don't actually post on here.

Alfbranch
19-10-2009, 02:54 PM
You have to remember that this is a public forum - and anybody can read what you post here.

You might know some of the people that do post on here, but there are plenty of people that just lurk.

I always post with this in mind

big chris
19-10-2009, 02:58 PM
it amazes me that people post things on here that i am certain they would not say to a person's face...

i hope i only post that which i would say in person...

i also get rather cross when an easily identifiable leader posts stuff about a kid in their group...

TRH
19-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Yip, always post as if you are saying to someone's face and always post realising that this is a public forum. If you fear criticisim then don't post or get another "friend" to post on your behalf. PM is a great tool for this.

chris@8th
19-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Yip, always post as if you are saying to someone's face

and then imagine that they are writing down what you are saying so it can be published in a local newsletter that will be supplied to all leaders, parents and YP.

I also try and post with that in mind

Bushfella
19-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I've fallen foul of this, accidentally though. I was having a real rant about an individual in an e-mail and sent it to the newsgroup rather than the e-mail address. As soon as I saw it my heart sank and I did everything I could and somehow it was removed within an hour of posting.

However, all the people who NEVER look at UKRS, had all read it and made sure that the subject of the tirade received a copy. I apologised profusely, but had to admit that I had written what I felt and that was a done deal.

Despite being quite outspoken, and for sure having wound a few people up. no-one has ever tried to gag me - though I do know of others who have been told to back off.

I do now remind people when I read them slating their peers. Group/ DC etc.. that they WILL get the message at some point down the line.

julian
19-10-2009, 05:42 PM
It's unfortunate that there is a class of person who will look to pull issues out of context and try to cause fire where there is only fuel and lots of hot air... oh well!

Incidentally... i'm safe in this respect as no-one from my organisation can use a computer...

(Sits back and awaits the tirade :) )

The sad thing is at next Area meeting, this will be brought up... out of context and i already know who will mention it... even though i am mentioning it here in the thread!!!

Such is life :)

RedCoat
19-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Com-poo-terr? ;)

julian
19-10-2009, 06:04 PM
See what i mean!!!

Hi Richard :)

Fiyero
19-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I have probably said too much about issues on here but it is often because I have seen it as a lose-lose situation. I could either post on here or talk to someone in the group who isn't directly involved and be seen as talking behind a person's back rather than semi-anonymously on here. I don't believe I have posted anything I wouldn't wish to be said publicly but it is easy to get carried away thinking it IS anonymous. My name and group is on every post I make!!

Magician
19-10-2009, 07:57 PM
People can be TRULY anonymous if they want. It is very easy to do and their are people on Escouts I would have a hard time tying to a person.

Penny E
19-10-2009, 08:58 PM
All the leaders in my Group and many, many people in my District know that I am registered on here. I refer them to posts on here frequently and I have publicised :escouts: whenever I can.

My legs are, of course, the talk of the District and even the County. :)

That means that I am cautious at all times in what I post here, as everyone should be on the internet. As GSL I have recourse to the private "GSLs Social Group" where I can seek advice on anything that should not be mentioned on a public forum.

If you want to discuss specific issues that should not be viewed in the public domain, create a Social Group for your area of interest, or join an existing Group.

Otherwise there is always a PM to a long-standing member or two ...

DC-LBL
20-10-2009, 11:31 AM
i thought the idea of the site was to share discuss and read others problems so you could relate them to yours.

So far i haven't seen anything that is questionable about what people have posted with regard others

CHRI5
20-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Of the post in question, 3 of the points were facts and I had informed those concerned about them previously. The fact of the matter was that on shown one snippet they went, in my opinion, over the top in their reaction and shouted about without checking into the background.

shiftypete
20-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Its like overhearing one part of a convesation and jumping to conclusions about what was being said and by whom

noodle-miner
20-10-2009, 11:51 AM
As I've always said:
If what I say can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you... I meant the other way!

CHRI5
20-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Isn't marriage like that?

noodle-miner
20-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Isn't marriage like that?

Too True!!

MikeJ
20-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I try not to post too much specific stuff on here, as had our district explorer leader come up to me once to say I googled something and one of the searches was you on this forum :o

DonTregartha
20-10-2009, 10:31 PM
i thought the idea of the site was to share discuss and read others problems so you could relate them to yours.

So far i haven't seen anything that is questionable about what people have posted with regard others

True, but some folks are just too darn touchy about certain topics.

My view, I keep it neutral, but if I am controversial, I am perfectly willing to voice my views face to face. Sometimes to my detriment, but I never believed in calling a spade a single handled excavation tool.

I have always made it quite clear WHO I am, WHERE I am and WHAT I think.

If that bothers the lurkers - good.

Dramatist
20-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Believe me, I have always been very aware. Occasionally, I have run a post past someone involved - the GSL or the DC before I have posted it.

Twice, when information was sensitive and I had issues about which I really needed help but did not (because of the chance of a YP or Adult being identified should a local lurker read the post) dare to use my usual ID - which is no cover at all, I have posted under the cover of an anonymous ID with no way of identifying me save for the writing style which one sharp :escouts: member spotted and PMd me to find out if he was right!

I never say anything on here about anybody that I would not say to their face and I never make any comment about my Group or District that I would not make at a Group or District Meeting. This is a forum with unrestricted public viewing access and forgetting that fact could be a very foolish mistake!

Mad dog
23-10-2009, 01:25 PM
As other's have said and I'm said many times before I would never say anything on here I not happy for Anyone, Anywhere, to read and indeed something I am not happy to justify etc.

The forum is an excellent resource but it is unrestricted public viewing (the same goes for Facebook and all that) and everyone should surely know that?

fmolesey
23-10-2009, 04:01 PM
The forum is an excellent resource but it is unrestricted public viewing (the same goes for Facebook and all that) and everyone should surely know that?

Facebook isn't unrestricted public viewing