PDA

View Full Version : Section Age Ranges!

GingerNinja
28-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Having seen some discussion in the Scout PL topic, I figured it'd make sense to make this... especially since I don't really get the age ranges.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it goes as follows:
Beavers 6-8
Cubs 8-10 1/2
Scouts 10 1/2-14
Explorers 14-18

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels they don't get enough time in Cubs and Scouts... but, having come from Guiding myself, it just seems like way too little time in them in comparison.

When I was in Guides (only finished 2003), it was as follows:
Rainbows 5-7
Brownies 7-10
Guides 10-14/16
Rangers 15-25 (I think, and I now know that's been rearranged to be "Senior Section")

Am I the only one who feels this may be a better structure? It allows a solid 3 years in Cubs, and at least 4 years in Scouts...

Could anybody give some full reasoning behind the slightly weird Scout ranges?

MikeJ
28-10-2009, 05:34 PM
When I was in Guides (only finished 2003), it was as follows:
Rainbows 5-7
Brownies 7-10
Guides 10-14/16
Rangers 15-25 (I think, and I now know that's been rearranged to be "Senior Section")

Am I the only one who feels this may be a better structure? It allows a solid 3 years in Cubs, and at least 4 years in Scouts...

The Mrs says this is the ranges (a couple of minor changes)
Rainbows 5-7
Brownies 7-10
Guides 10-14
Rangers 14-26
Senior Section is classed as being any member over 14 including young leaders on warrant programme and any young Guiders. The age limits are more open ended in Guiding too.

Nigel
28-10-2009, 06:42 PM
In 2 minds about this. I'd like to have the Cubs a full 3 years and would certainly welcome a change back to the old scout ages giving them longer in that section.
However I do think 5 is too young for Beavers

dannyweaver
28-10-2009, 06:45 PM
correct... except that you are forgetting the fifth and final section of Scouting - Network, which is for those aged 18-25.

aldamaster
28-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Yep agree 6 is plent early enough for our beavers i think!

Goose
we're always forgotten, danny

shiftypete
Am I the only one who feels this may be a better structure?
Possibly not but i'd imagine you will be in the minority, IMHO the beaver and Cub age ranges are just right as both are getting itchy feet towards the uper age range showign they are ready to move on to the next Section. I think the upper age rage of Scouts is the best compromise between having an effective Scout Troop and retaining the kids in Scouting past 14.

Not sure why you think them weird apart from not being used to them if you have come from a Guiding background. The Beaver and Cubs ages have been pretty much unchanged since each Section was started. The Scouts age and upwards have seen major changes over the decades for varying reasons.

wullie
28-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Thing is how many Ranger/Senior section Guide units are there? I know there are none in our Area so maybe guide age range for older girls isnt working. By 14 Scouts I help with are already looking to move as they get fed up with younger scouts.

julian
28-10-2009, 08:07 PM
B-PSA age ranges:
Beavers - 5/8
Wolf Cubs - 8/11
Scouts -11/15
Senior Scouts - 15/18
Rovers - 18/pine box (ditto for leaders)

We have a little leaway if a candidate has advanced quickly (typically a maximum of 6 months). Not having gone through lots of changes we don't suffer from the scouts falling off and can invest more time.

Just an observation...

marcush
28-10-2009, 08:31 PM
We have some rangers in the guide county that covers my area and yellow beavers area, but i know that rangers isn't as popular as explorers although the local one near to me is very popular as, as far as I know that is one that has quite a few guide units going upto it.

Aren't some groups joint with guides and some BGA's? Would be interesting to see how they run?

I like the age ranges apart from the cub/scout one where I think it should 10 or 11.

martin1981
28-10-2009, 08:48 PM
nope not anymore used to be joint Venture/Ranger unit option removed 2002ish, did look at the practicalities of setting up a "joint" unit and it is doable but probably more hassle than its worth.

khoomei
28-10-2009, 08:59 PM
correct... except that you are forgetting the fifth and final section of Scouting - Network, which is for those aged 18-25.
Fifth, but not final - Fellowship/SAS aged 18-box

nope not anymore used to be joint Venture/Ranger unit option removed 2002ish, did look at the practicalities of setting up a "joint" unit and it is doable but probably more hassle than its worth.

Joint Explorer/Ranger units are no allowed, but the younger sections can still be joint. Not heard of any recently except hospital groups (Great Ormond Street, Sheffield Childrens Hospital).

big chris
28-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Fifth, but not final - Fellowship/SAS aged 18-box.

not really a section... is it?

marcush
28-10-2009, 09:07 PM
i don't think it's a section chris more like a support group I'd say.

Stewart
28-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Our scout group is so big (the 14th biggest in England) we have split ours into younger and older. Here is our lineup

Beavers 6-8
Younger cubs 8-9 1/2
Older cubs (my section) 9 1/2 - 11
Younger Scouts 11-12 1/2
Older Scouts 12 1/2 - 14
Explorers 14 - 18
Networking 18 -25

We had to do this as our group is so big. We have 66 explorers and 70+ scouts

marcush
28-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Stewart that sounds awful, sorry but surely it's easier just for multiple of each section as they aren't really getting the age ranges and think they are moving way to often.

----------------
The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
---------------

Does anyone know if scoutlink still exists?

roger-uk
28-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Stewart that sounds awful, sorry but surely it's easier just for multiple of each section as they aren't really getting the age ranges and think they are moving way to often.

----------------
The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
---------------

Does anyone know if scoutlink still exists?

Yes and stll going strong. Just finished JOTI

:D

dannyweaver
28-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Too right Network is always forgotten! That's why I thought I'd stick up for us :thup:

And when we do get a mention, unfortunately there is often a misunderstanding... SAS/Fellowship is not a Scout section - it is a support function; a group of adults set up to support the sections which are those already mentioned - including Network!!! So Network is the fifth and final section!

marcush
28-10-2009, 09:39 PM
not that scoutlink, i ment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoutlink_%28The_Scout_Association%29

GingerNinja
10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Networkers, you weren't forgotten at all, I was just highlighting the younger... dare I say "core" sections! Network is a very logical start at 18 in my eyes, I was just wondering views on other parts! :o

The lower/upper packs/troops sounds like a handful, but how well would you say it works? It's an intriguing one, certainly...

dontkillbill
10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow wow wow..... All the sections are core!!! You can't have an uncore section. In many ways, network is where the leaders of tomorrow and new leaders are supported. So without network, I feel that scouting would be missing a vital component!

Goose
11-11-2009, 03:08 AM
definatly!! networks hardcore!
We're the leaders of tomorrow!!

TRH
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
In 2 minds about this. I'd like to have the Cubs a full 3 years and would certainly welcome a change back to the old scout ages giving them longer in that section.
However I do think 5 is too young for Beavers

And not forgetting the "Squirrels" which has started in Northern Ireland for the 4-6 age range

GingerNinja
11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Don't be offended by what I said on Network- I'm of Network age, I just don't have the time to be in Network, be an ASL, work and be a full time student! :o

Though, a thought I have just had- would the difference in age ranges be something to do with this "maturity gap" that we apparently get between boys and girls at the same age? Personally I don't see it, but it just came to me...

Neil Williams
11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Our scout group is so big (the 14th biggest in England) we have split ours into younger and older. Here is our lineup

Beavers 6-8
Younger cubs 8-9 1/2
Older cubs (my section) 9 1/2 - 11
Younger Scouts 11-12 1/2
Older Scouts 12 1/2 - 14
Explorers 14 - 18
Networking 18 -25

We had to do this as our group is so big. We have 66 explorers and 70+ scouts

Don't suppose you *had* to - couldn't you instead have run two identical Sections for each, so two Packs and two Troops? That's what my old Group did. We've considered it before when we've been at our biggest, but I was always against it as it doesn't offer the same experience as full-"width" sections do.

dannyweaver
11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Don't be offended by what I said on Network- I'm of Network age, I just don't have the time to be in Network, be an ASL, work and be a full time student! :o

GingerNinja, you might have seen the other thread about "coming of age" where the point I was trying to get at was the misunderstanding leading to under/non-promotion of Network. As you are of Network age but not a Network member, I'd be interested to hear why this is - I'm just exploring why some individuals such as yourself favour taking on adult roles, rather than (or as well as) taking part in Network.

Goose & Bill - totally agree with you!!! Of course Network is a core section - we are no different to Beavers, Cubs, Scouts or Explorers in that sense. Just better, of course. ;) Why else would some call it "Beavers for grown ups"?!?! It's all to do with this general mis-understanding about what Network is in many areas. Hence my current mini-campaign taking every opportunity I possibly can on these forums to correct people about certain Network myths.

rawz
11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=GingerNinja;145382]Don't be offended by what I said on Network- I'm of Network age, I just don't have the time to be in Network, be an ASL, work and be a full time student! :o QUOTE]

Strange.. i find I don't have enough time to be a full time student because of being an AESL, Network member, Network Chairman and an OH....

dannyweaver
11-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Strange.. i find I don't have enough time to be a full time student because of being an AESL, Network member, Network Chairman and an OH....

Love it!:bigsmiley