PDA

View Full Version : Permit holders and assessment camps

richardnhunt
04-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Dear all

After getting a flavour of practice elsewhere. One of my leadership team is going for his Night's Away permit and is running a camp to be assessed on it. Seems to be some confusion locally as to whether we need to have another permit holder present on the one night camp or not? He will have a decent, experienced team with him.

We want to make sure he is supported, but also not prevented from running "his camp" by having others their.

Thoughts appeciated

Rich

Gadgette
04-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Dear all

After getting a flavour of practice elsewhere. One of my leadership team is going for his Night's Away permit and is running a camp to be assessed on it. Seems to be some confusion locally as to whether we need to have another permit holder present on the one night camp or not? He will have a decent, experienced team with him.

We want to make sure he is supported, but also not prevented from running "his camp" by having others their.

Thoughts appeciated

Rich

Yes you definitely need a NAP holder all weekend. It's not "another" NAP holder because the person being assessed hasn't got his yet!

Mark W
04-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Talk to the Nights Away Assessor about exactly what they're expecting, too.
The SA states that a permit holder is to be present, to be responsible (that's the strict observation of the requirement).

Bushfella
04-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Where is he doing his camp?

If he is doing it on a small site where he is the only leader with a NAP, then he needs someone else. If he is doing it at a larger site with a Warden and the warden has an NAP, and is prepared to oversee the camp, then he can go on his own.

Mileage on this may vary around the country.

curtisuk
04-11-2009, 04:03 PM
as a NAA you need to have a leader that has a permit to be the permit holder while the leader been assest is doing the job of the permit holder and the NAA needs at the camp for a minimum of 50% of the camp.

PeterSheppard
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
If the NAA is there for the duration of the overnight aspect, then no extra permit holder is required, as the NAA must hold a permit for the category they are assessing! :thup:

shiftypete
04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
NAA needs at the camp for a minimum of 50% of the camp.
Really, says who and why? Surely they can assess the camp in less time than that, seems especially draconian if someone was running a week long camp as their assessment camp

curtisuk
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Really, says who and why? Surely they can assess the camp in less time than that, seems especially draconian if someone was running a week long camp as their assessment camp
most first time camps are for a weekend

shiftypete
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
So you actually mean the NAA needs to visit for a day then?

I would be very suprised if after a day visiting a camp a NAA couldn't tell if the NA permit applicant was running the camp satisfactorily or not. (obviously with the appropriate pre and post camp stuff as well)

Gadgette
04-11-2009, 08:14 PM
as a NAA you need to have a leader that has a permit to be the permit holder while the leader been assest is doing the job of the permit holder and the NAA needs at the camp for a minimum of 50% of the camp.

50% is that a local thing? In our area, the NAA can turn up at anytime during the weekend to inspect, ask questions, nosey around. I got told after a couple of hours of my NAA being on site that I'd passed the assessment. Is this 50% attendance from a NAA assessor in POR? If anything I think a spot check like this is more effective that the NAA being their 50% of the time as the person being assessed has to be on their game the whole time!

66FRAN
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I went along with another group back in May, as their leader was doing their assessment camp, and it could give me some experience.
the assessor was there all weekend!

curtisuk
04-11-2009, 10:01 PM
And please remember that even on nights away events where an assessment is taking place there needs to be a permit holder on site responsible for the event.

from Factsheet FS120802 - Nights Away Permit Scheme - Assessment Guide
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs120802.pdf

re the 50% I can't remember where it came from but was advised at a local meeting but I will be going to a NAA work shop in a couple of weeks so I will find out more if I remember.

Alfbranch
06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Seems to be some confusion locally as to whether we need to have another permit holder present on the one night camp or not?

Firstly the applicant needs a NAP on site for the event as per POR

The permit holder must be present overnight.

If this was not the case why would we ne a NAP at all?

The assesment should be based on how well the NAA knows the applicant and thier work not 50% of teh camp for instance as that could 4 days or more and thier is no way I am staying at someone elses camp that long.

Can you imagine the stress of being watched for days on a camp thats just silly.

The assesor may act as the NAP for a weekend to help the camp take place.