PDA

View Full Version : Network Meet Weekly???

petewill222
16-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I know this is going to be a question that can be answered a million different ways...

BUT

How do other Networks work... Do you meet Weekly, Fortnightly, Monthly, Quarterly??? Please let me know...

Basically our unit at the moment meets - 'when someone can be arsed to organise something' - and I'm considering organising Weekly Meetings, for a couple of reasons...

1) Explorers moving to Network are used to meeting weekly therefore kseeps there interest going...
2) Meeting 'when someone can be arsed to organise something' in my opinion doesn't work as a unit - as the movement forward on awards simply doesn't happen...

SO - what do you do??? How does your unit work???

Cheers

Peter1st/3rd
16-11-2009, 02:04 PM
We meet every 2-3 weeks ussually in the Pub! We try and get away a few weekends a year.

Very Socailly based .... trying to be more Scouting!

ianw
16-11-2009, 02:15 PM
We* meet weekly, as we sprung from a Venture unit that met weekly, and the arguement was that people wouldn't know which week was on or off if it was fortnightly, it's actually not that hard to do something every week, and becomes habitual, unlike once a fortnight or once every month. I.e. if it's Monday night, it must be Network.

Ian

* The Network I go down to as most are either my old Ventures or Explorers and are a sociable bunch, it's like a night out doing scouty stuff without the hassle of being in charge. I'm physically far to old to be in Network officially.

dannyweaver
16-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Most of our Networks in Derbyshire (including Lynx, the one I am part of) meet on a weekly basis. However, we now have a few - mainly the newer ones - where they meet perhaps once a month, or just in the holidays (due to members being away at uni).

I think any of these options can work (if you put the effort in) - you have to do whatever suits your members. Where your Network is big enough and has sufficient people that are able to come every week, a weekly meet can work very well. But if you have people working irregular shifts or away at uni, then maybe you need to be more flexible. But I don't believe there is any reason why a Network that only meets once a month can't be as active and successful as one that meets week in, week out.

Whatever you decide on, I think it is very important to have a decent programme planned and then put into action. Doing stuff as and when someone can be bothered to organise it won't work in the long run. People will drift away, and you will struggle to recruit/retain Explorers and other new members. If you put a decent programme in place however - whether that is weekly, monthly or whatever - and you will be able to attract people much more easily. Get everyone together to share ideas - and dish out the responsibilities for organising specific events/activities between you, so that it doesn't rely on one person. It is still a good idea to have one person co-ordinating overall - make sure that people don't forget what they have agreed to organise. Plan a few months ahead and make your programme known.

The other thing to say is that, as well as running your own Network programme, include any activities/events being run by others in your county, as well as the national events.

And finally... don't just meet in the pub! Get out there and do stuff. It really takes little effort (or expense) to put together a simple yet interesting programme if you sit down and have a proper think about it. Go to the pub after Network - rather than use it as you actual Network meeting. It annoys me a bit when I hear that some Networks only ever go to the pub, as this is not what it is all about and gives some justification to the largely misguided view that all Networkers do is go out and get drunk...

Remember - anyone can go to the pub, but not everyone is able to go/do hiking, climbing, sailing, gliding, backwoods cooking, geocaching, canoeing, abseiling, clay animations, rifle shooting, camping, silly wide games, make fires... you get the idea.

That is what makes Network unique, special, interesting, fun and exciting.

Goose
16-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Our network have a weekly meeting in the pub, which i think is good for new explorers to come and meet us in a relaxed environment
We also do other activities as and when the more active memebers have time to organise. Currently. only myself and 2/3 others ever seem to organise things but we all, either work nights or rota shifts so it can be difficult to get events organised
I've tried (and tried and tried) to get others to organise stuff but it just doesn't seem to happen. I've one or two who come to most, if not all our events but just don't want to take an active role in organisation. Very exasperating!

*kimmy*
16-11-2009, 03:07 PM
We meet every 2-3 weeks ussually in the Pub! We try and get away a few weekends a year.

Very Socailly based .... trying to be more Scouting!

Pisshead hehe!!! were my invite mr smallwood!!!

The other network in our part o county meets weekly and goes pub after meetings!! xx

rawz
16-11-2009, 03:30 PM
One network, that i am unable to attend most of the time, meet the 1st qnd 3rd tuesday in a month.

The other meets every 2 weeks, with unofficial meet ups of people in the pub.
As the chairman, i feel i should attend all meetings and have drinks bought for me in gratitude :beer:

Jay Biggs
16-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Chester (when i was a member) met every two weeks, with maybe a trip to a pub quizz somewhere in between... generally in-hut meetins are usually erserved for bbq's games nights or planning committee things...

Ker-stee
16-11-2009, 05:37 PM
My home Network meet weekly! :D

And we do lots of scouty related things!

Rainbow_Dave
16-11-2009, 09:44 PM
My Uni network have just decided to change from weekly to fortnightly (Not sure I agree to be honest on the basis of people not being able to work out what week its on) But we are just starting and the chair is 'fed up of having to run around organising each week' not that there particularly seems that much to organise most weeks and delegation to the members now we've got going is soon to happen.

My Home network however previously met every week, 1 was activities the other was a social one at the pub with some fellowship too. However the activities werent too popular because the majority of us spend our days program planning & running programmes in our sections so didnt want to have to do it yet again for ourselves.

Therefore we meet up every so often in a sociable sense at the pub, but every month we are service crew at the local campsite and regularly attend Network events as well as organising staff teams to help out at other events nationwide.

dannyweaver
17-11-2009, 10:17 AM
My Home network however previously met every week, 1 was activities the other was a social one at the pub with some fellowship too. However the activities werent too popular because the majority of us spend our days program planning & running programmes in our sections so didnt want to have to do it yet again for ourselves.

Therefore we meet up every so often in a sociable sense at the pub, but every month we are service crew at the local campsite and regularly attend Network events as well as organising staff teams to help out at other events nationwide.

Sounds like more of a Fellowship/SAS than a Network...

vulcan-network
17-11-2009, 12:03 PM
we meet weekly, we did talk about meeting fortnightly but the rpoblem is when the explorers come up they have to know what week we are there, and if we doing something outside we wouldnt be there for a month so we decided to meet weekly and always go to the pub afterwards. although only a few to and is only optional