PDA

View Full Version : Time to get Provisional Appointment

David D Miller
12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
How long should it take for a new leader to get a Provisional Appointment - starting the clock when their AA and CRB forms are accepted by their line manager?

And how long is it actually taking where you are? Where do you think the bottlenecks are, and what can we (collectively) do to speed things up?

DuncanHill
12-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I've got two leaders still on pre provisional from March - and a couple more whose forms I passed to district well before the summer holidays not even shewing as pre-provisional. We don't have a functioning Appointments Committee in the District.

karenseascouts
12-12-2009, 05:08 PM
My paperwork was completed in June last year, and I got my appointment in mid-November.... and that's after I had to have them look for it, and my interview was in late August.

Evil Akela
12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
There are 3 places that can be bottlenecks -
1) Getting references - if the Appt Secretary doesn't chase these, the Leader will be stuck on pre-provisional even if they have done everything else
2) Getting started training - I had this week a Leader who did his module 1 many months ago, who finally presented some validation, even though the TA has been chasing it since the summer and it still wasn't for module 1 but for mod 3! We haven't had a LTM/LTA for 2 years, until this summer and are chasing many Leaders.
3) Appointments committee - we haven't had a functioning Appt panel for some time, and at present are being helped by the County panel to push our Leaders through.
I think the only way to speed things up is to get the GSL to keep asking what is happening and ask what can they do to move things along.
The five months isn't meant to start ticking until the new Leader has seen the appt panel, but if you have a supportive team that can be the last step of getting a full appointment, by getting everything else moving whilst they wait.

martin1981
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
having had problems with my CSNC appointment earlier in the year taking over 6 months, the majority of the problems were some quirks in the mybackpack system which meant that the CRB which went in with the AA form wasn't attached to the CSNC application so blocked it going full until I rang up and got it unblocked.

Mark W
12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Got my woodbeads presented a year ago, some 6-8 months after Gilwell had sent them Still no appointment though (no card, no access on backpack), hey ho.

Airobat
12-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Mark. Your appointment is still provisional - your appointment secretary probably still needs to send the second part of your AA form to HQ. But I'll bet you know that already don't you?

DuncanHill
12-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Got my woodbeads presented a year ago, some 6-8 months after Gilwell had sent them Still no appointment though (no card, no access on backpack), hey ho.

Get onto Headquarters - they helped me after I raised the same problem I was having directly with Wayne on Escouts. The thread is at http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12090 and the email is appointment.process[AT]scout.org.uk

PeterSheppard
12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
How long should it take for a new leader to get a Provisional Appointment - starting the clock when their AA and CRB forms are accepted by their line manager?

And how long is it actually taking where you are? Where do you think the bottlenecks are, and what can we (collectively) do to speed things up?

I'm sure the question was how long for a provisional appointment, not how long for that to be converted into a full appointment! :confused:

So to answer your original question, it should take very little time, a pre-provisional can be done locally instantly.

For that to become provisional, the following needs to happen:
AA form completed
References received
Appointments advisory committee meet
CRB is sent to HQ, and initial check is received

All of which should be possible within a month, but it does depend on references coming back on time.

The biggest thing that could help the process along, is doing everything at the start, not waiting until one thing is received back before starting the next!

Mark W
12-12-2009, 11:50 PM
But I'll bet you know that already don't you?
Funny old thing, I was never sure how I could have a provisional appointment, yet have my woodbeads awarded. :confused:
As it happens, the Appointment Sec's also my own Chairman :cool:
Not that I've been mentioning it for a while .....
To be fair though, my form AA was originally to be "Group Manager", so I probably need to submit a real application, for a proper role. ;)

Admittedly, hijacking the thread from provisional to full appointment. Isn't ADD won...oh, tea time.

Airobat
13-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Funny old thing, I was never sure how I could have a provisional appointment, yet have my woodbeads awarded. :confused:

Different pieces of paper :tong: Or more seriously - the WB is not dependant on the appointment being full.

Mark W
13-12-2009, 08:45 AM
WB is not dependant on the appointment being full.
Ah ha. Time for action.

shiftypete
13-12-2009, 04:11 PM
The main stumbling block we are having in our District is the Appointments Committee interview as we are struggling to recruit enough people on to the Committee in order to have enough meetings to interview all the 'applicants'.