PDA

View Full Version : recommend me a new laptop please

tomahawk
24-05-2011, 11:41 AM
this one is on its last legs. My screen is dead again after small cub sized child knocked it off the sofa. My power cable is dodgy after slightly larger Scout sized child knocked it off the sofa. The battery is almost dead because its 6 years old and can only last 20 minutes off charge - on the sofa.

But I love my laptop... :( and Im very sad to have to give it up, but the repairs and replacements will cost me around £200 (cable £20, battery £50, screen £90 + labour). I think its time to upgrade.
I currently have a compaq presario v6000.

I use it for internet (a lot :o ) plus word processing, spreadsheets etc. I want a CD drive as I have software that I use regularly that is CD driven. I want long battery life - I like to sit on my sofa without wires dangling and presenting a trip hazard. I also take it here there and everywhere to governors/leaders/committee meetings, so its got to be portable.

it should have a really nice keyboard, not the horrible sticky keyboard that our netbook has.

ANd a decent sized screen as my eyes are old.

my budget is around £500.

Can you recommend something....?

Mallah
24-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Always a minefield given the thousands of variations out there. But putting your requirements and price into ebuyer you get these (http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&sort=custom&limit=10&store=5&cat=10&filterpricebands=[200+TO+499.99]&filterca140=17)

boomer_ie
24-05-2011, 12:20 PM
this one is on its last legs. My screen is dead again after small cub sized child knocked it off the sofa. My power cable is dodgy after slightly larger Scout sized child knocked it off the sofa. The battery is almost dead because its 6 years old and can only last 20 minutes off charge - on the sofa.

But I love my laptop... :( and Im very sad to have to give it up, but the repairs and replacements will cost me around £200 (cable £20, battery £50, screen £90 + labour). I think its time to upgrade.
I currently have a compaq presario v6000.

I use it for internet (a lot :o ) plus word processing, spreadsheets etc. I want a CD drive as I have software that I use regularly that is CD driven. I want long battery life - I like to sit on my sofa without wires dangling and presenting a trip hazard. I also take it here there and everywhere to governors/leaders/committee meetings, so its got to be portable.

it should have a really nice keyboard, not the horrible sticky keyboard that our netbook has.

ANd a decent sized screen as my eyes are old.

my budget is around £500.

Can you recommend something....?

Personally I would go with a Dell, I went with a laptop from a certain overpriced high street store the last time I changed and regretted it, nowhere near as good or as reliable as the Dell.

go to the Dell website and play around witht he specs / prices to find what suits you best.

martin1981
24-05-2011, 12:39 PM
recommend Dell, had one in my last job and it was built like a tank (dropped it several times) and battery lasted for 6/7 hours when new. not sure of the spec, but it appeared to be their standard office spec one with a normal strength battery.

David
24-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I would recommend laptops direct.
I got mine with £100 off as the box had been opened :)

The battery life isnt that good. But my brothers is. Im home on saturday o can check wat he has then.

the main thing with battery life is the screen. Look for and led one, they appear to give great battery life.

Scary Monster
24-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I had a Dell through most of my degree, which is still going reasonably strong 6 years on even though it's now in the hands of an 18 yr ol boy. My work machine is a Dell, now a year old with about 4 hours of battery life. Was 6 brand new, but is decreasing with age. Pretty resilient and hard to fault. Yes, it's currently booked into go for a rebuild, but that's a software problem, no fault of the laptop.

Phil_ASL
24-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Another vote for Dell here. Got a latitude for work and it is very good, much better than the Sony it replaced.

Prodigal Son
24-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Apple Macbook Air??

dual partition-able able to run windows

gregharewood
24-05-2011, 03:29 PM
It's above your price level, but I would recommend a MacBook. It depends a little on what software you have that you really need to work. MacBooks come with most stuff that most people need. If you have Windows on a machine with a transferable license, then add maybe £60 for a copy of Parallels to suck your current Windows machine onto the Mac.

Refurbs....

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Having said all of that, if I were you, I would seriously consider an iPad. You will need a machine to connect it to to sync some stuff, but that could be your existing machine - attached to an external screen and keyboard and with the power cable glued it! Basically, for £500, you get a rather plasticky laptop full of bloatware, not enough memory, that will last you two years, or you get a really nice iPad that is more portable, with cash left over for Pages word processor (£9), Numbers spready (£9), etc etc..

marcush
24-05-2011, 04:08 PM
May be worth looking at, which someone recommended to me was speedie (http://www.speedie.co.uk/)

Walsallwizard
24-05-2011, 07:18 PM
I got a Dell for work which is a great little machine but old, new battery though and I get 6-7 hrs use.

My own model is a Dell Inspion 1720, it weighs as much as a baby elephant but still on original battery and get a good 4+ hours on a 5 year old battery.

A few months back got Mrs Yorkielass a Packard Bell TX86 and it has proved to be a very good buy.

Depends how rigid your budget is.

Sub £500 Inspiron 15 Intel just a bit above would be Inspiron 15R

If you go for a dual core processor you could get a 17" screen for around £500