PDA

View Full Version : Spring Term Programmes

Penny E
13-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi All

As some of you will know, our Group is homeless. We are lucky enough to have the use of a hut at Phasels Wood campsite, but it is rather small for nearly 30 Scouts. The leadership team are two inexperienced people, plus a long-standing leader whose single greatest strength is outdoor stuff, so he is at his best in the summer and autumn terms.

The Troop had their first meeting back this week, and the leaders were rather depressed by the situation. They are struggling to work out how to keep the kids occupied in a fairly small space for the rest of the term until the light improves. They can only do so many trips to swimming pools, bowling alleys, etc.

I am going to get hold of programmes for this term from other Troops around our District, but if anyone has their programme on computer file, would you be willing to send it over to me to give us some more ideas?

I guess the best way of doing this is for you to PM me and I can then reply with my email address? If you have the prog on a website, could you post the link?

Thanks a million
Penny E

andrewt
13-01-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.plscouts.org.uk/index.php?module=prog&sec=scouts

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can also see the programme archive since term 1 2005.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Raksha
13-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Penny
Did the Troop register for the challenge100? we did this one night.
It did throw up that they had all forgotten how to map read! So we did a little bit on this last night and next week we are out in hte forest regardless of the weather, with torches, to put it into practise.
We are also doing a badge and uniform audit to see if they are due any badges or could do any.

wolfie
13-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Not sure our programme would help much, as lots is outside (map work, geo caching etc). but you might like to see the "Centenary Challenge" page on our website as I'm sure there are things you could perhaps use to make up some activities.

As a brain dump here are a few random suggestions from other sources:

Film Making
Does anyone have a video camera? Could they make a short film? So over a few weeks they decide who will do what, write script, act out and film. then have a "Premier" night where they all dress up to view (invite families if you want), screen film and eat lots of popcorn

Reach for the Sky!
With Scout staves and ropes, plus a limited amount of time, each Patrol must build a free standing structure which should be as tall as possible. After the time limit, the tallest structure wins, provided it stays upright for 3 minutes. Try adding a flag to be broken from the top, without pulling down the structure!

A Knotty Problem
Each Patrol has the same number of equal length ropes. The Patrol who can join them all together into the longest joined rope wins. The only complication is that every rope must be joined to the next rope using a different knot (each knot can only be used once in the chain), or if the same knot is used again, then that piece of rope must contain a unique knot or hitch.
For example a rope may have a reef knot at both ends, but only if it contains a sheep shank or bowline (which shortens the overall length!)

Newspaper Pioneering
Supply each patrol with a large amount of old newspaper and sellotape. Each patrol then has to construct the tallest free standing structure which will support an egg.
Set a sensible time limit to build the structure and whichever Patrols egg is the highest is the winner.
To add real excitement insist that all the eggs must stay aloft for three minutes and time all the Patrols at the same time!

Cross the ravine
Time: 15 - 30 minutes
Equipment: Tables and 1 or 2 chairs per team (Patrol)
Set up: For each team, place a table at each end of your hall.
The challenge: The centre of the hall (between the tables) is now a deep (preferably bottomless) pit.You have a supply of magic floating chairs (neatly supported by the floor in real life).
Stand each team on their table at one end of the hall.
Their task is to get your whole team from the starting table to the table at the other end.without any member of the team touching the floor.
Anyone who touches the floor must go back to the start table.
Hints: If you value your chairs, don't let the whole team stand on one chair at once!

Light the candle
Time: 15 - 30 minutes
Equipment: Candles
Garden canes
Rubber bands
Matches
Tapers, paper or equivalent
Set up: Stand each team behind a line at one end of the hall. Place an unlit candle at the other end of the hall.
The challenge: Without crossing the line in front of you, light the candle.

Give each patrol a postcard and ask them to cut it in such a way that it can be opened out to create an unbroken loop, which can pass over their bodies

A selection of ideas using old newspapers:-  Make sculptures from rolled, folded and crushed newspaper, held together using sticky tape.
 Using identical newspapers for each Patrol call for the first Patrol to find a photograph of a particular person, article, advertisement, answer to a crossword clue etc.
 Each Patrol is to create clothing for a member of their patrol using newspaper provided. Best-dressed Scout wins.
 Using newspapers only construct the tallest tower possible – provide patrols with elastic bands and sticky tape.
 Using newspapers only construct a rope that will hold together when stretched from its ends free of the ground.

 Provide each Patrol with a few old newspaper and see who can produce a paper rope which can be secured to an overhead branch, beam or what ever you have available and will support the weight of a Scout.

Hope there's a few there:bigsmiley to help

wolfie
13-01-2007, 06:58 PM
oh, and I meant to add these...

Quiz Night - with forfeits as funny or messy as you like

Patrol Fortunes - search forms as it's on here somewhere

Games Night - a few sets of scaletrix seems to work well. Organise competitions to find the champ

1st Aid - contact local St Johns to see if they can help

Raksha
13-01-2007, 07:00 PM
How about the Yes No game?

Penny E
13-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi All

Some great ideas - thank you. Keep them coming everyone!

We can do outdoor stuff given that Phasels is a brilliant place to meet, but the Leaders have just got the same cabin fever that I'm feeling at the moment. Given that they are (2 of 3) more inexperienced than I am, it is hard to look at 11 meetings with a cheery disposition in early January!

Hilary - I will email you about challenge100. Not being a Scout Leader, I didn't get that info.

Wolfie - how do I do Scalextric? I have the basic figure of eight, two track stuff for my own kids, and will willingly let it be used, but how does that turn into a Scout meeting? (Just call me stupid, if you wish!)

Penny E

Raksha
13-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Scalextric - just that and a stopwatch or two. TIme them, slowest without stopping, fastest without coming off the track, research Silverstone or one of the other tracks like Donnington, design a racing car, ooh oooh Pinewood racing, build a car!
Each patrol can be a racing team like Arrows, Ferrari,
MAke a grand prix circuit like monaco and build a tunnel for them to go through as well.
They can hold heats, and then the best drivers can be alonso or schumaker and have a proper race.
Winner gets fizzy drink and a little trophy?

Penny E
13-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Hilary

Are you available for bookings as a Children's Entertainer at Phasels Wood?

:D

You have email, by the way.

Pennyx

wolfie
13-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Scalextric - just that and a stopwatch or two. TIme them, slowest without stopping, fastest without coming off the track, research Silverstone or one of the other tracks like Donnington, design a racing car, ooh oooh Pinewood racing, build a car!
Each patrol can be a racing team like Arrows, Ferrari,
MAke a grand prix circuit like monaco and build a tunnel for them to go through as well.
They can hold heats, and then the best drivers can be alonso or schumaker and have a proper race.
Winner gets fizzy drink and a little trophy?

That's it, and even more than we do!!

We usually try and set a couple of tracks up for heats, have individual knock out and team races. It's amazing how competitive they get and cheer each other on. For losers we sometimes add a forfeit - just to keep them trying hard (e.g.having to sing a nursery rhyme - which makes them all cringe if they get it, sweeping the floor at the end of the meeting, standing on one leg for the next race...)

Create a scoreboard if you're doing teams - can always give winning Patrol a prize (in our case it would be something like getting to choose where the next camp is from a shortlist or where the Troop goes for an end of term event - like LaserForce, skiing etc)

For a whole night we combine with building cars from balsa (asking Scouts to bring in any suitable wheels e.g. lego or mechano.). Not allowed any propulsion but can add weights. Then roll them down a ramp (use any plank or tray or...) and see whose goes the furthest. Or you can turn that into a whole night anyway if you want them to paint the cars etc.

humpty
13-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Papiermashe. (or however you spell it). old newspaper in wallpaper paste. make models of camp sites hot air balloons a new scout hut.

Pm me your email addy and I will send you a copy of the spring term programme.

jshirra
14-01-2007, 09:12 AM
try the JIC for ready made, themed programme plans
try http://www.scouts.org.uk/jic/scouts/ for the latest!

HTH

Raksha
14-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi Penny
You got mail. Booking as a childrens entertainer? hmm a secondary career....

Penny E
16-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks very much for your help everyone

We've decided to do some Patrol Challenges this week, based on a whole range of ideas I've picked up from your posts.

Next week, like every week at this time of year, with this team, will be another Acting GSL's challenge. Still, that's next week's problem!

Penny E

pmccloskey
17-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I can totally understand where you are coming from. We have a scout hut that is ideal for cubs and beavers, however our scout troop is now up to 20 and last night we were playing running to the points of a ship (port, bow stern etc) when *smash* one of the scouts puts his hand through a window!!

Luckily he was fine and not a scratch on him but Im increasingly coming to the opinion we need to run all our activties outdoors!!

P

derekchambers
17-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi Penny
Did the Troop register for the challenge100? we did this one night.
It did throw up that they had all forgotten how to map read! So we did a little bit on this last night and next week we are out in hte forest regardless of the weather, with torches, to put it into practise.
We are also doing a badge and uniform audit to see if they are due any badges or could do any.

we registered for this but never got any email from them or anything

any ideas

Raksha
17-01-2007, 09:41 PM
we registered for this but never got any email from them or anything

any ideas
Try ringing them up? I found mine in my junk mail, only because I have altered my filter settings and am having to retrieve stuff on a daily basis at the moment. Can you still access the site with your log in? Does it show your patrols details?

Penny E
17-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I registered our Scout Troop, but the confirmation email refused to download for a couple of days!

Ring Gilwell is my suggestion Del.

P.S. pmccloskey - Oh! do I sympathise - same game, broken wrist with complications at Beavers last year. 32 page flippin' form. They knew the rules about not crashing into walls with their arms, but it still happened. One of those things I guess,