PDA

View Full Version : maximum size

derekchambers
14-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Hello

I have heard that the maximum size you can ahave for beavers is 24. is this correct

del

Richard
14-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Nope

The recommended size is 24

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/por/2006/3_7.htm#rule_3.7

The recommended maximum size for a Colony is 24 Beaver Scouts.

This number may be exceeded with the agreement of the Group Scout Leader.
When deciding on the Colony size, Leaders should take into account the leadership available and the capacity of the meeting venue and whether it might be more effective to run more than one Colony.

derekchambers
14-10-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks just what i was after to include in my RA

curtisuk
14-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I would also concider what affect you would have on cubs and scouts.

as they will be with beavers for 2 years and then anothe 2 with cubs and then a bottle neck could happen in scouts as the are there for 3-4 years.

derekchambers
14-10-2007, 08:16 PM

as they will be with beavers for 2 years and then anothe 2 with cubs and then a bottle neck could happen in scouts as the are there for 3-4 years.

i am trying not to think about it as it looks like two troops on the horizon

so our coloney will be 2 beavers, cubs 3 and scouts will then be 4 :bigsmiley

del

curtisuk
14-10-2007, 08:18 PM
i am trying not to think about it as it looks like two troops on the horizon

so our coloney will be 2 beavers, cubs 3 and scouts will then be 4 :bigsmiley

del
so long as you have thought it through.

RPeach
14-10-2007, 08:19 PM
We had a sudden influx about two months ago and now have adopted a Policy whereby we take a maximum of 20.

After this, a meeting will be held between the Colony Leaders to decide whether to increase this.

If we ever do decide to increase to 24, we will then follow TSA rules and, should a further increase be required, we will meet with the GSL.

20 is enough at the moment as if we go out, we would be without enough adult support (we have five Leaders and a couple of VERY willing parents)

Akela Ben
14-10-2007, 08:30 PM
My mum runs a Beaver colony and they have 28 Beavers, due to the high demand. But then she does have a big hall and plenty of help.

derekchambers
14-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Our hall couldnt take more than about 26 beavers any way and we are starting with 12 and am thinkig of limiting it to 20

Del

SusieQ
14-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Remember about the amount of help you can get, as when you are taking the Beavers out, the ratio is 1:6. I have a cut off at 12 at the moment as there is only my sister and myself running the section. Fingers crossed though as I think I might of 'converted' an unhappy Guide Leader to join our group :D

shiftypete
14-10-2007, 08:50 PM
We have limited our Colony to a maximum of 18 beavers due to the relatively small size of the hall we meet in (The cubs meet in the larger hall at the same time). Having said that we have not had anyone actually past the age of 6 on our waiting list for years.

Keith
14-10-2007, 09:42 PM
We consider 24 to be the maximum number we will take.

Testarossa
15-10-2007, 09:47 AM

This is where we are heading rapidly, having increased from 1 group in each section to 3 colonies, and 2 packs. Now looking at a second troop.:bigsmiley It is a nice problem to have.

derekchambers
15-10-2007, 09:55 AM
This is where we are heading rapidly, having increased from 1 group in each section to 3 colonies, and 2 packs. Now looking at a second troop.:bigsmiley It is a nice problem to have.

I guess so but leaders is always a BIG issue

del