PDA

View Full Version : Archery

AdrianP
15-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I've just been told that the archery instructor I was going to use at a camp next month is no longer available. This has reminded me that one of our own leaders wants to become an instrutor but when we looked we couldn't find any reasonable courses. There were very few around, most of them were during the week, very expensive or miles away.

Does aybody know of an archery instructor course running this spring or summer? Something prefereably within a couple of hours drive of Bath would be nice!

Also, if you're already qualified and not doing anything on 15th / 16th March, do you fancy a weekend in Bath?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Bushfella
15-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I have a GNAS Course running in May, but it is just off the M1 in West Yorkshire, so actually about, four and a bit hours from Bath on an average day.

Cost £95.

If you are interested PM me.(or anyone else).

Ewan Scott

ewanscott (at) BTinternet ( dot) com

Akela Ben
15-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Get in touch with your AAC Activities and tell him to organise a course for you and some others in your district. He should then have all the local GNAS contacts. The GNAS are more than happy to put you in touch with trainers, you just have to find somone to get up and be bothered to get it organised.

derekchambers
15-02-2008, 12:43 PM
have a cub hike on the saturday otherwise i might have said yes and jumped on the train

Biscit
15-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a GNAS Course running in May, but it is just off the M1 in West Yorkshire, so actually about, four and a bit hours from Bath on an average day.

Cost £95.

Ewan Scott

I would be interested, but getting married has put a crimp in free time I have to do this stuff!

big chris
15-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Cost £95.

Ewan Scott

£95 is a bargain. well worth the journey

big chris
15-02-2008, 01:04 PM
if archery is essential to the camp, i'll come up and do it.

i'm gnas etc and am used to doing it for beavers- adults.

i assume you have the equipment and it is decent quality, modern stuff?

i'll do it for fuel (probaby about 30 quid), tea and good biscuits. Ideally just on the one day, but two is manageable at a pinch.

tea would need to be delivered every hour minimum. that part is non-negotiable. :-)

derekchambers
15-02-2008, 01:06 PM
#95 is cheap my course was #150 although District paid

derekchambers
15-02-2008, 01:07 PM
i could do sunday for the same terms ads Big Chris (train fare and tea on the hour )

big chris
15-02-2008, 01:10 PM
there we go!

sorted...

i prefer saturday.

and you get the benefit of 2 methods... (well benefit...ish).

derek can undo all my mistakes!

AdrianP
15-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow, what a fantastic response! I look away for half a second and get 9 responses. Thanks everybody!

Chris / Derek - I will check the programme and be in touch. I'd imagine that we can move things around so that we only need one of you, but I'll let you know. We have access to kit which one of the local leaders owns and it's relatively new. Whilst archery isn't "essential" to camp we need a good activity to break up the weekend. The rest of the weekend will be camping skills training for our younger members but I like to include something exciting for them so they aren't working all weekend. We've normally done archery on this weekend as we can do it at the camp site without going off site.

Ewan - the course sounds interesting. Not sure about the distance but if it gets it done then we might be interested in places. Can you give me dates?

Thanks everybody,

Adrian

Bushfella
15-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Ewan - the course sounds interesting. Not sure about the distance but if it gets it done then we might be interested in places. Can you give me dates?

The course will be run by Mick Fitzpatrick, a GNAS County Coach, and assessed by Kath Fitzpatrick, one of the most respected coaches in the sport.

The course will take place at Clayton West Scout Hut, Wakefield Road, Clayton West, Huddersfield – about 10 minutes from the M1 J39/38. The course fee will be £95.

Dates are: Course A May 10th 11th May 17th 18th

Start Times are 09:00hrs Finish times 17:00hrs each day.

There are tea and coffee provided but you will need to bring your own lunch. There is a microwave and a cooker if required.

Accommodation is available - tent or hall floor :-) FOC.

Ewan Scott

big chris
15-02-2008, 04:35 PM
The course will be run by Mick Fitzpatrick, a GNAS County Coach, and assessed by Kath Fitzpatrick, one of the most respected coaches in the sport.

ooo! not only cheap but not run by the numpty who ground my will to live slowly into the ground

Bushfella
15-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I would be interested, but getting married has put a crimp in free time I have to do this stuff!

Go on Si, find the time, and perhaps you'll actually get to meet the old fool after all these years :-)

Ewan Scott