PDA

View Full Version : Where can I file ?

chilly
07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Any suggestions as to where I can put Excel Spreadsheets, Word docs or Access database files so all the leaders and helpers can access them - securely - of course.

At work we just use a shared network drive, but out here in the real world I don't seem to have one of those lying around.

What do other groups/units do?

Many thanks

Ann
DESA - Basildon

fmolesey
07-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hello Ann, welcome to Escouts.

Do you have a website? You could put them in a protected part of your site.

CambridgeSkip
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
We use google docs, whoever creates the document invites others to have access to it and they log in using their own google account username and pass word. Easy!

recneps
07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
put them on your webspace? Alternatively set up a joint hotmail account, people email their files as attachments to there, and then anyone who needs them can log in and find them.

jediwannabe
07-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Google docs works pretty well

big chris
07-08-2008, 05:22 PM
you have described a need for google apps pretty precisely.

David
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Any suggestions as to where I can put Excel Spreadsheets, Word docs or Access database files so all the leaders and helpers can access them - securely - of course.

At work we just use a shared network drive, but out here in the real world I don't seem to have one of those lying around.

What do other groups/units do?

Many thanks

Ann
DESA - Basildon

Securely, unless you have your own webserver that you spend a lot of time on it will never be secure.

If your scout hut is secure then you could have the details on a laptop and then passwords etc to make it more secure. It depends on what your storing and how often you need it in or out of scout hours.

Daniel
07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Just a general reminder.

Escouts and the Escouts Team CAN NOT be held liable for any Data Loss / Data theft of ANY information stored on the Escouts Server/s.

Security wise, a server is only ever as secure as the oldest outdated script on the server.