This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy

Thread: Narrow Boats

Thanks

Narrow Boats

Great article on page 55 of Scouting magazine, about taking Scouts on narrow boats!

As it mentions, Hillingdon Narrowboat Association operate three narrowboats, which accomodate between 8 and 12 people each. One of their boats has been specifically built for wheelchair users, with access lifts at the front and back of the boat, wheelchair friendly toilets and showers etc.

Our group has just got back from our summer camp, where we took all three boats North on the Grand Union for the week. We've done loads of weekend trips over the years, and also taken Beavers and Cubs on day trips along the canal.

If you're interested but don't have a qualified steerer, then they can be booked too. (I have an activity permit for narrow boats, and would happily steer for any gorups on here who would like to try it out).

If you've got any questions or would like to know more, then I'll do my best to help!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Great article on page 55 of Scouting magazine, about taking Scouts on narrow boats!

As it mentions, Hillingdon Narrowboat Association operate three narrowboats, which accomodate between 8 and 12 people each. One of their boats has been specifically built for wheelchair users, with access lifts at the front and back of the boat, wheelchair friendly toilets and showers etc.

Our group has just got back from our summer camp, where we took all three boats North on the Grand Union for the week. We've done loads of weekend trips over the years, and also taken Beavers and Cubs on day trips along the canal.

If you're interested but don't have a qualified steerer, then they can be booked too. (I have an activity permit for narrow boats, and would happily steer for any gorups on here who would like to try it out).

If you've got any questions or would like to know more, then I'll do my best to help!
    I'll second all of that!

We took the Cubs for an overnighter last year, had two boats for the weekend and split them into two groups (one group did Friday night/Saturday, and the other did Saturday night/Sunday - only problem is that muggins here had to do all the driving [of the minibus] back and forwards to Bracknell!).

But it was such a good trip that we are going again at the end of September!
    We are lucky in our group, in that we have 3 permit holders for narrowboats

At the moment the plan for the Scouts next summer, is to do a split week camp, half on narrowboats for half the week, the rest camping and then swap over. I might even put in for a tranfer of sections
    Peter

CSL - 2nd Bracknell - Scouting for North & East Bracknell - www.2ndbracknell.co.uk

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Might Take you up on that Alec, Possibly YSP Summer Trip?...

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post

Chris Neal
    County NYR - Wiltshire
    County Network Rep - Wiltshire
    Wiltshire County Network Exec
    Wiltshire County Exec
    Melksham scout Group - ASL
    54th Greenwich - ASL
    Member of The Council of The Scout Association
    British Youth Council - Scout Association Deligate
    Young Spokesperson (YSP)
    Scouting Young Campaigner (SYC)

Thanks
    Deal. Pick some weekends and I'll check boat availability!

Thanks
    Why not set a real challenge - The four counties in one week!!!

It is possible!!! I know because I did it last year!!!

P
    No longer the Scout Leader - 3rd Colwyn Bay (Old Colwyn) Scout Group

Thanks
    Hi Guys

I can also personally vouch for the "wow" factor in a Narrow Boat camp.
    My Explorers really had a great time on board "Dicks Folly" moored at Hunton Bridge (Nr Abbotts Langley) Herts - Run by the South West Herts Narrowboat Project team

We took a long leisurely trip south on the Grand Union turning at approx half way.

You need a couple of trained helmsmen though.

check out this link for more details

http://www.swhertsnarrowboat.org.uk/

Cheers all

Rich G.I.T
    Everest Explorers - Enfield

Thanks
    Can we have a YSP trip?!

I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks

Narrowboats

Hi Alec

We have a 48 footer on the River Wissey here in Norfolk. Contributions to our running costs are all that are needed. Fitted for ten 'not too biggies' and two leaders. Rivers are somewhat different to canals and it's much quieter.

Let me know if any interest

Steve

Thanks
    I'm also a qualified Steerer for HNA, and will be doing a trip next month with my troop.

Be warned, it's not cheap. £300 for a weekend's hire at 2010 rates, for 11/12 berth. Click Here for more details.
    MatSav

GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I