This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Thanks

contacting european scouts

Hey Guys I am trying to make a contact with some scouts from Northern Italy as this is where we think we would like to go for our summer trip next year.
    The idea is to meet with a different troop, making friends borrowing there equipment so that we dont have to travel alot of gear there, using there local knowl;dge and may be getting there advise on accomodation etc. In return we would offer to do exactly the same for them in the future.
    Can anyone suggest how I would go about making links and contacting another group to try to arrange such a thing.
    many thanks
    rick

Account Closed
    Thanks
    THIS WEEKEND: Log onto JOTI - Jamboree on the Internet - http://www.joti.org/en/index.html - It's a great chance to make direct contact with leaders in other countries! JOTI runs throughout the 48 hours of the 17th & 18th (next Sat & Sun).

Thanks
    If all else fails contack Gilwell and get the number for the international links/postbox service, a lady claled Joan Walker she co-ordinates international contacts between scout groups.... and if you go via her you know you are going to be twinned with an official scout group.

She put our group incontact witha group in Brisbane
    Being a Scout leader is a constant reminder why some animals eat their young.

www.JaysBigAdventure.co.uk
    Follow the adventure on Facebook ~*~ Follow the adventure on Twitter!
    Can I meet one representative of EVERY Scout Group in the UK?

It's only one hour a week HONEST!
    )J(

Thanks
    thanks guys, I think joti is the place to start then, unless there is anyone on here

Thanks
    I am from Tuscany, so the southern part of Northern Italy or the Northern part of Central Italy according to the point of view.

Best option is to contact thru the "international relations office (I suppose that something with this name exists) of your HQ the international Office of the main Italian scoutings associations:
    CNGEI (non denominational), WOSM and WAGGS affiliated
    AGESCI (Roman Catholic), WOSM and WAGGS affiliated
    FSI (Roman Catholic) non WOSM and non WAGGS affiliated.

Contacts thru HQs are the best choice rather than direct ones.

HTH
    Fighting Snake
    http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5281&dateline=1254129  672

Providing fine scouting on both sides of the Adriatic Sea since 1999

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSnake View Post
    ....Contacts thru HQs are the best choice rather than direct ones.
    Sorry, I disagree with that. I don't believe in talking to the monkey when I can get hold of the Organ Grinder direct. I would always try to make the contact first and only then go through the 'official channels' if needs be for legal reasons or whatever. If there is no need then cutting out the 'official channels' can do away with a lot of 'red tape'.

Thanks
    hi, many years ago preinternet it was aggreed by wosm that national associations wouldnt respond to unsolicited mail. The rule still applies and having done some work for a group a few years ago most associations still apply the same principle to email as well as post.

Thanks
    Actually there is no red tape involved in this kind of international contact protocol. It's pretty quick, indeed (BTDT)
    It's just a way to make sure that both parts are genuine scouts and it's a group initiative not one from single people.
    Fighting Snake
    http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5281&dateline=1254129  672

Providing fine scouting on both sides of the Adriatic Sea since 1999

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1981 View Post
    hi, many years ago preinternet it was aggreed by wosm that national associations wouldnt respond to unsolicited mail. The rule still applies and having done some work for a group a few years ago most associations still apply the same principle to email as well as post.
    I think what Jonathan is suggesting is direct contact with international groups that you have connected with in some fashion, not going to a specific national association and trying to start contact there.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by funky_rick View Post
    H
    The idea is to meet with a different troop, making friends borrowing there equipment so that we dont have to travel alot of gear there, using there local knowl;dge and may be getting there advise on accomodation etc. In return we would offer to do exactly the same for them in the future.
    rick
    Nick - once you have made contact then before you go 2 far down the road in the planning - be aware that there are funds available for "youth" organised exchanges / activities between 2 or more european groups (grants are applicable for those aged14+ only - our group have had the benefit of this a few times....and even with Cubs/Scout & Explorers involved it is a useful "top-up".) The "host" group gets a generous allowance for hosting plus some costs towards planning meetings recce visits etc.

Hope that helps. BTW - Grants are not allowed if you have already started the planning process!! [It's designed to involve the YP in the process!!].

Chris
    Chris Shaw
    UK - Salisbury City ESU Asst Leader
    Austria - Linz 12 CaEx Leader
    austroairscout (at) gmail (dot) com
    International Commissioner - Upper Austria
    internationales@ooe.pfadfinder.at

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    Sorry, I disagree with that. I don't believe in talking to the monkey when I can get hold of the Organ Grinder direct. I would always try to make the contact first and only then go through the 'official channels' if needs be for legal reasons or whatever. If there is no need then cutting out the 'official channels' can do away with a lot of 'red tape'.
    My OH has always done the direct approach, due to HQ being too slow to get back with Groups in the area that she was interested in (taken about 6 months plus for replies in some cases).
    What she did was to use google, and look for Groups in the area, and then approached the Groups that way - has had a good response doing it that way.
    Dave Stockford
    Holy Trinity Cubs - Yeovil District
    Southern Stars SASU

Thanks
    ok well apart from Google searching what is the best way to get a contact for the direct approach then ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Biggs View Post
    If all else fails contack Gilwell and get the number for the international links/postbox service, a lady claled Joan Walker she co-ordinates international contacts between scout groups.... and if you go via her you know you are going to be twinned with an official scout group.

She put our group incontact witha group in Brisbane
    Rick see above... this way you are sure to be put in contact with an official group
    Being a Scout leader is a constant reminder why some animals eat their young.

www.JaysBigAdventure.co.uk
    Follow the adventure on Facebook ~*~ Follow the adventure on Twitter!
    Can I meet one representative of EVERY Scout Group in the UK?

It's only one hour a week HONEST!
    )J(