This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Help With A Tilley Stormlight

Hey all,

I've recently inherited an X246B Tilley Stormlight, it looks to be in good condition however I have never used one before so I really wouldn't know

Can anybody give me an idea of what I need to do to make sure it's all in working order, how to keep it maintained, etc?

Thanks,
    Jo

Thanks

Could try the Tilley web site

http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/

You may be able to get parts and instructions there.

Thanks
    First...

Take the gallery, chimney and mantle off the lamp.

Put some paraffin in the tank.

If the tank leaks - dump it.

Leave the tank overnight to establish whether it is sound or not. DO NOT pressurise it at this stage.

Once you are happy that the tank does not leak.

Try pumping it up with a few strokes, with the **** tap CLOSED - just a few though.

The pump should be firm and even. Not loose, gritty or clunky. If it is loose, gritty or clunky, strip the pump down and identify why. It may just need a new cup washer, it may need a new assembly.

If the pump is good, then after just a few strokes with the **** tap closed, as few as five, inspect the seal around the valve at the top of the tank - this is where they usually leak.

If it leaks, release the pressure and replace the seal.

If it doesn't leak, open the **** and when you have pressure in the tank, there should be a seepage of fuel from the top of the feed pipe. This seepage should vary as you turn the stop ****.

There isn't a great deal that can go wrong with the gallery, just keep it clean. Refit the gallery, a new mantle and the chimney.

If you do strip the lamp down, it is worth checking that the "cleaning needle" and spring inside the fuel tube are working and not gunged up.

You set the mantle exactly as you would for a gas lamp, - tying it in place and then letting it burn without any fuel flowing.

To light...

You need the lighting wick, which you soak in meths, light and clamp onto the fuel tube to pre-heat the fuel to turn it from a liquid to a vapour.

Once the meths has almost burned out you start pumping to build pressure, and when you turn the stop **** on, so long as your pre-heater is still burning, you will have a brilliant white light.

Parts are readily available on Ebay or from http://www.base-camp.co.uk

If it leaks, don't use it till you repair the leak.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.denbydaleactiveyouth.org.uk

Thanks
    Wow, thanks!

The lamp was given to me with a bit of fuel in although I figured it's probably best to empty it and fill it with new as I don't know how long it's been sitting (although we are definitely talking years). I'd hopefully have realised by now if it was leaking, so I think I'm set with that, I've just ordered a mantle and a meths clippy thingy (I believe that is the technical term ).

Fuel-wise, are there different kinds of paraffin and if so, which should I use and where would I buy it? (Now I just feel really, really dense!)

Thanks,
    Jo

Thanks
    You don't want to bother yourself with dirty old paraffin lamps ...

Send it to me I'll dispose of it safely

Garages sell paraffin, anything will do.

Andy
    Scout Leader
    St Luke's (Maidstone) Scout Troop
    NSRA RCO
    District Nights Away Advisor

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post

oh no you wont .......
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post

Well... I suppose a Scout is to be trusted so I'm sure you're right, I'll send it straight to you

To be honest, I'm fairly suprised it's in such good shape. I'm pretty sure it's been left to gather dust after a local group disbanded about 5 years ago but it's still in the original box with all the bits for it. Hopefully I won't break it now

Do they give off a lot of light?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
    Do they give off a lot of light?
    Yes, if in good order they are far better than any gas lamp I've encountered. I've got two - one is pretty bright, one is more knackered so is dimmer, but both are better than gas lamps of a similar size.

Though I admit I've been using rechargeable LED lanterns more of late - but these don't have the same calming hiss and don't give off any heat to warm a freezing cold mess tent.

Neil

Thanks
    They are a fantastic bit of kit...

I know I'm a bit old school when it comes down to things like paraffin lamps and primus stoves and stuff, but in my opinion you can't beat them (as long as you dont have to carry them far!!)

The light is a lovely warming light that you certainly don't get from gas or indeed battery. They also give off a fair amount of heat too - so be careful when handling them after use.

The inside of the globe can get quite dirty without you realising and that affects the amount of light, a quick wipe over with kitchen paper will get them sorted.

The mantle is prone to disintegrating if you are too rough once they are burnt in. They are worth getting a few off evilbay just in case.
    Scout Leader
    St Luke's (Maidstone) Scout Troop
    NSRA RCO
    District Nights Away Advisor

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    I like Tilley lamps - better light than gas, keep your mess-tent warm, cheaper to run (in the long run) than gas, sturdily built, and Tilley lamps don't go bang! as easily as gas lamps do.

Thanks
    I agree with the above points, but try and find someone that is able to light them successfully. We have about 4 people in our group.

Thanks
    Might be obvious but to err on the side of safety, make sure you follow the above procedure outside! My secondary school was built on the site of a house that burned to the ground after they tried lighting one inside!
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Canada View Post
    Might be obvious but to err on the side of safety, make sure you follow the above procedure outside! My secondary school was built on the site of a house that burned to the ground after they tried lighting one inside!
    Valid point. If you mess up slightly when lighting (e.g. try to turn on the paraffin flow before it's hot enough), they can flare quite nicely - fine if you're outside (but don't light one with your face above it!) but not if something flammable e.g. a tent is above.

Neil

Thanks
    Tilleys are great!

<<<<<<

The only gas lamp I've found which gives comparable light is a Bullfinch.

I've got three of my own - one I bought new 15 years ago (see avatar pic), a much older one I bought for £2 (just needed a mantle), which has given about 5 or 6 years good service but now needs attention, and a third that I was given, which had been in someone's shed for years. This one also needs attention.

Additionally, the group has a few Tilleys and three Bi-Aladins (same principal, different manufacturer), none of which have been used for years, and which I'd like to revive at some point in the future.

For convenience, we've also got a couple of Piezzo ignition gas lamps, but nothing beats a Tilley!
    Howard
    Joined as a Cub in 1980
    ACSL 1991 to 2000
    CSL 2000 to 2009
    Acting GSL 2002 to 2010
    SL 2008 to 2011
    GSL 2010 onwards. To retirement?!
    www.evingtonscouts.org.uk
    @19thLeicester
    19th Leicester (Evington) Scout Group

Thanks
    I have a range of Tilleys, some working, some being restored when Scouting allows, I also have Bialladin/ Vapalux, Coleman, and a brand spanking new petromax that will probably never see fuel its so smart.

In the piezo ignition, I have a Coleman petrol lantern which gives off a fantastic light, when it doesn't blow away the mantle on ignition!

(I also have a range of pressure and atmospheric stoves I just need somewhere to display them as SWMBO won't allow them in the house!)
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.denbydaleactiveyouth.org.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast