This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Thanks

Chinese New Year ideas!

Apart from a Chinese cooking competition, and launching cheap sky lanterns, which we're doing, has anyone got any Chinese New Year ideas?

Thanks
    You could make masks?

How about a game based on Chinese Dragons? - a relay race by patrol where they all have to stay in the formation of a Chinese Dragon, swapping the front of the dragon on each lap? If you were to do this, you could have them try moving different objects from one container to another with chopsticks?
    Graham

10th Airedale__(formerly of)__2nd Holme Valley

http://twitter.com/10thairedale
    http://tenthairedalescouts.terapad.com/
    ------------------------------------
    I think my friend is addicted to brake fluid, but he says he can stop anytime...

Unless otherwise stated any views expressed are my own and not that of any association I am connected with.

Thanks
    A couple of years ago I called in to the local take away and bought a big selection of dishes. The Scouts just lined up in an endless queue sampling the different dishes. Very successful evening - unfortunately I blew 1/2 the term's budget in one night!

Nick

Thanks
    ahhhh! Games night, sort of thing.....

That's got me thinking. Thanks very much.

Thanks
    We have dowloaded some small chinese dragon clip art and we have had the beavers and cubs colouring them in, glueing the bits together and adding straws. The cubs were seen doing a puppet show activity with the. All good fun.

I think the download came from ichild.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Billericay and Wickford District in Essex
    Thanks

Tigers

How about making Tigers (for the new year's symbol) or some games and activities based upon the other 11 animal symbols?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year (other websites have similar information)

Can be extended onto which animals are endangered?
    Where they live in the world? plus other links into the Global zone.

Creative links: similar to the previous comments

If you have an oven, could always make these:
    http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....206/Recipe.cfm
    John Hanson
    GSL (Acting) 1st Great Burstead
    Billericay and Wickford District, Essex

http://bwscouts.fotopic.net
    http://www.youtube.com/bwscouts

Thanks
    Its a tradition in Chinese culture to give a red coloured / paper envelope with some money (real or "play") in it to friends and relations to wish them "Good Luck for the New Year". with a golden chinese good luck symbol written on the envelope.

{Anyone who wants the envelope pattern and scoutified play 'good luck' money PM me and I'll dig them out of my archive HDD's}.

I have done this a number of times over the years and it's always worked well - in fact so well (as we dropped one off at each chinese takeaway in town) that I am now on their mail lists and we/I get cards / calendars and even some free meal vouchers.

another idea - works great with Cubs and Scouts - make a dragon out of cardboard/paper / tinsel etc... and then perform a chinese dragon dance!!
    Chris Shaw
    UK - Salisbury City ESU Asst Leader
    Austria - Linz 12 CaEx Leader
    austroairscout (at) gmail (dot) com
    International Commissioner - Upper Austria
    internationales@ooe.pfadfinder.at

Thanks
    We made red envelopes with Beavers and they counted out 8p each from my change jar to put in it for luck.

Thanks
    We held our's last night (I know it's early, but....)

My beavers made chinese dragons, which we've put up on the walls around the hut. I got egg fried rice, noodles, mini pancake rolls & some fortune cookies, which we gave out just before the end of the night. We sat down and read out the messages inside.

The sky lanterns are great, but be careful as we nearly had a nasty accident with some we lit at the hut. One went over the neighbours fence and refused to float away, just hovered in their garden . The Beavers & Cubs thought it was great, trying to blow it up in the air, but us leaders were hoping it wouldn't cause any danage to the neighbours house or gardens. Once it did go up, it soon disapeared out of sight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    We held our's last night (I know it's early, but....)

The sky lanterns are great, but be careful as we nearly had a nasty accident with some we lit at the hut. One went over the neighbours fence and refused to float away, just hovered in their garden . The Beavers & Cubs thought it was great, trying to blow it up in the air, but us leaders were hoping it wouldn't cause any danage to the neighbours house or gardens. Once it did go up, it soon disapeared out of sight.
    Please note that as of Jan this year the Air Navation Order 2010 specifically introduced a clause that now prohibits these! It is now against the law to fly them!! [But not sell them!!]

EDITED Mar 2010: In the above paragraph I gave some erroneous info based on technical advice I had received - apologies to all!
    a) The Air Navigation Order is actually dated 2009 although introduced in Jan 2010
    b) It's not against the law to fly them unless it's near airfields and CAA advice is not to - due to potential dangers of burning barns, fields and the danger to livestock ingesting the wires/bamboo slivers that could end up in silage.

You have been warned. The new CCTV's in the sky will be tracking you soon! [Just in case you missed that one as well].
    Last edited by Chris Shaw; 06-03-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Corrected original Advice offered.
    Chris Shaw
    UK - Salisbury City ESU Asst Leader
    Austria - Linz 12 CaEx Leader
    austroairscout (at) gmail (dot) com
    International Commissioner - Upper Austria
    internationales@ooe.pfadfinder.at

Thanks
    We just did our first cubs sleepover with a Chinese New Year theme.

I used 2 powerpoints that I could send you if you like - one was the story of the great race which decides which animals made it into the Chinese zodia. The other is about Chinese dragons.

I also downloaded and showed the Cubs a video of a chinese dragon dance to illustrate what it was, and then we made 2 Chinese dragons.

Large box and long sheet of fabric - decorate each of them seperately and then staple them together. 11 children under each and then dance to the conga around the hall - was great fun!

We also had a chopstick relay where they sat on the floor in teams and had to pick up a grape with chopsticks and feed it to the person behind; chinese word searches and puzzles too.

We also translated all their names into Chinese (look online for a names translator); and a kind parent gave them all the red envelopes with a small money gift and a Chinese sweet in.
    Last edited by Raksha W; 29-01-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: adding more

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
    Please note that as of Jan this year the Air Navation Order 2010 specifically introduced a clause that now prohibits these! It is now against the law to fly them!! [But not sell them!!]

You have been warned. The new CCTV's in the sky will be tracking you soon! [Just in case you missed that one as well].
    Oh well , I'd best destroy the evidence pretty pronto then. I hear lighting them and floating them away works well..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post

Hi,

Can you point me in the direction of said clause please? I frequent a fireworks forum being a bit of a fireworks fanatic and have mentioned this but no-one on there is aware of such a ban (including several suppliers of the lanterns).

One member informs me that CAP736 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP736.PDF does ban them but only within certain distances of airfields not a countrywide ban.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks
    http://www.instructables.com/id/10-m...-air-balloons/

I'm within a few hundred yards of an airport, but you can tether them. Unless they escape :- (

Thanks
    I'm running a chinese new year night this coming friday.

so far planned i have: chinese lanterns, fortune cookies, chinese sweets, chopstick games.

i thought about doing origami tigers but im not sure.

need to plan for next half term though so might have to get them doing some programme brainstorming!
    Dave Moorcroft

SL - 1st Englefield Green Scout Group, Surrey
    Chair - Scout Delegation to the British Youth Council

Scouting, Studenthood and Stage Management - visit my blog