This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS phones

ACSL
    Thanks

GPS phones

I am looking at getting a new phone with GPS. I would like one on Pay As You Go, preferably for less than £150. I have been looking at the Nokia 5230 but the reviews seem to suggest it is not very reliable and I don't like the lack of Wifi.

Can anyone suggest any possibilities?

Also, does it cost anything to use the GPS? ie. data charges.

Thanks
    I have the Nokia E71 which has now got the free nokia maps and gps for ever! It is actually really good, i dont know if you could use it for walking in the hills etc, but very good around towns/cities for walking or driving!

I am on contract so get unlimited internet, but it would probably cost to go on the internet if it was pay as you go i think. I have a £20 a month contract with 3, which is 300 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet/e-mails.
    Alex Hampson

Currently looking to join a group as a leader

1st Woodford & 6th Bramhall Scout Group

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

ACSL
    Thanks
    That looks like a good phone, but a bit expensive for me right now.

It does cost to use the internet on PAYG but some things I have read seem to suggest you don't need to use the internet for the GPS to work. This is what I am trying to verify.

Thanks
    I have an MWG Zinc 2. It has sirf 111 gps, wifi, bluetooth, camera and is a pocket pc.

I have it on T Mobile 20 per month unlimited web access UK.

Very good phone, replaced battery after two years, £12.

I have Mem Map france at 1;25k and have put my fugawi 1;50k too.

Info here
    http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=161302

Thanks
    HTC Hero for me, would not have anything else...
    YiS

Ian Cocklin
    6th Falmouth Sea Scouts
    Cornwall

Find us on Facebook too here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrad View Post
    I am looking at getting a new phone with GPS. I would like one on Pay As You Go, preferably for less than £150. I have been looking at the Nokia 5230 but the reviews seem to suggest it is not very reliable and I don't like the lack of Wifi.

Can anyone suggest any possibilities?

Also, does it cost anything to use the GPS? ie. data charges.
    Mine is rather old now but is an unlocked Orange SPV M700 it uses Memory Map OS maps and is great - providing you have enough power - I have extended battery and also take the normal one.

It is a pocket PC and will run TomTom etc too.

Someone else mentions the HTC - this is an HTC inside but dont know the name but is HTC 3600 I think.

It cost me £80 second hand.

Dave

Thanks
    There's a big GPS review in the latest Bushcraft And Survival Skills magazine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrad View Post
    That looks like a good phone, but a bit expensive for me right now.

It does cost to use the internet on PAYG but some things I have read seem to suggest you don't need to use the internet for the GPS to work. This is what I am trying to verify.
    To answer you specific question then phones with GPS do not need a phone signal to work, they operate just like any GPS device and so there is no cost.
    There is something called AGPS (assisted GPS) where it can locate your position based on signal strength from local transmitters (so works better in built up areas than rural) plus signal from satellites. This does incur a cost, but if you want to play with things like Google Latitude so that your friends can see where you are, and you them, then this is what you will need to turn on. Frankly it's a bit of a gimmick that doesn't appear to be catching on.

Thanks
    I have a Nokia 5800 and it doesn't let me use the GPS without an internet connection.

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    I've just got the HTC Legend but I wont be using the GPS, got a TomTom for that but a work colleague has the Sony Ericsson X10 and reckons it the dogs b.. wedding tackle
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

And there we have it. We are Scouts, regardless of race , creed, colour or sexuality... If we can agree on that, then what more do we need? 5/4/2014
    The term "youth led movement" is a misnomer. We are a movement led for youth. - Ewan Scott 28/10/2012
    Mek tae not war - Ancient Black Country saying

Thanks
    Sony Ericsson X10,, good phone, but I still think that the HTC range are more customizable, I am able to run Google Maps Navigation using VanillaEclair 3.0 ROM, and it works great.
    YiS

Ian Cocklin
    6th Falmouth Sea Scouts
    Cornwall

Find us on Facebook too here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fmolesey View Post
    I have a Nokia 5800 and it doesn't let me use the GPS without an internet connection.
    Ye i have the E71 as mentioned before and when you use the maps/gps it asks if you want to go online, if you dont go online it doesn't work!

I get unlimited tinterweb so it's not a problem but pretty sure you do need an internet connection.
    Alex Hampson

Currently looking to join a group as a leader

1st Woodford & 6th Bramhall Scout Group

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

ACSL
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm not sure about Nokias but it seems that phones using google maps download the maps on the fly, using 3g and therefore costing money. I thought it was possible to download all the maps for Nokia/Ovi maps and so it never cost anything to use but I am still not certain about this.

I am hoping to get to the shop tomorrow, see if they can provide a clearer answer.

I am now looking at the Motorola DEXT and the Samsung S5620 so if anyone knows if they are any good it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Scout Leader
    Thanks
    I would like to correct fmoseley I have the Nokia 5800 and the GPS does work off-line. You can set it to only connect when you require it, all you need is to be connected to your or in my case the O2 network to work. You only have to have a sim card in the phone and the phone switched on, this does not involve being connected to the internet and you are not paying for any calls either. If you buy the Nokia 5800 you get Nokia Maps Free too so no need to install third party software, the phone comes with WiFi and email installed with many more apps.
    Last edited by toprow; 02-06-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Don't forget while GPS is nice on phones it will drain the battery so plan to use it long while away from a power source.
    I used to use GPS software many years ago on my phones before GPS became built into the phone, thats when I was heavily into the Windows Mobile scene. Had fun being one of the first out side of TomTom to test their application on non touchscreen smartphones as a beta tester.
    19th Thornhill SL Scouts
    Itchen North District

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast