This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Thanks

Question Group Scout Leaders' Management Style

Has anyone advice for me on how to survive being micro-managed out of existence? I have held different roles over the past 15 years (Cub Leader, Scouter in Charge, Assistant Beaver Leader); completed my training for all these roles and have enjoyed being involved with the group, parents and the local community. Our Group has just amalgamated with another local Group and our new GSL (with 25+ years experience in the District) is driving me to distraction: calling planning meetings every couple of weeks, attending every section meeting, querying every little expenditure (craft resources, a new Games Book, etc) from section funds. I feel I can't be trusted to organise and run the programmes any more, I have bit my lips, counted to 10 and practised yoga breathing - but the idea of returning to a new term in September is becoming unbearable.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    What role do you currently hold? If you're a Section leader, tell your GSL that you feel you're being micromanaged. A good GSL should not be micromanaging you.
    Chris Hawes, ASL and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group; Webmaster, Watford North Scout District.
    Blogger, be.PREPARED and web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Thanks
    Unfortunately this sort of 'manager' is all too prevalent in scouting and life in general.

He/she needs to learn to let go.

Why did their group have to merge with yours?

Did all the leaders walk?

I think you're going to have to speak to this person and ask they back off.

Just because they're the line manager doesn't mean they're 'right'

If not speak to your DC. If you don't know your DC personally, you should do.

Every leader should be on terms with the DC.

On the other hand - if you've been used to a 'missing' GSL and this one is a bit too hands on...

I visit section meetings to lend a hand but not all the time.

Don't confuse involvement with micromanagement, though I suspect you are right here.

Don Tregartha
    Group Chair and Webmaster
    1st Wing Scouts

Check out our responsive Joomla web site www.wingscouts.co.uk one site fits all...

Thanks
    Do they know you? You say the Groups merged - is this therefore a completely new person to your Group set-up?

Maybe they are just taking a bit of time to get to know how you operate - maybe the trust isn't there yet. I would set aside some time to get to know him, tell him you are capable of running your own section and lay down the boundaries.

I never attend a section meeting unless I am invited or I have something specific to do, and I never query finance within a section. But that's just me - I have a very good relationship with my section leaders, I know they know what they are doing, so in turn, I know I don't need to get too involved.

And maybe there is a little of what Don alludes to - are you just too used to not having a GSL at all?

Bob

Thanks
    Different GSL's will have very different ways of working, and it can be hard for a Section Leader to cope with changes to what you are used to. Different Section Leaders will have very different ways of working, and it can be hard for a GSL to cope with change.

You and your GSL need to sit down and work out what each of you expects from the other. Take time to explain what works best for you, and what sort of support you need from him. He may well be used to working in a very different way to what you have been used to, and you will both need to adapt and adjust.

Talk to your sectional ADC as well - they are there to support you too, and may have advice about the best way of dealing with your new GSL.

Try to agree (at Exec, not Leaders' meetings) financial procedures and guidelines for sectional spending. Sections do need some discretion and flexibility in how they spend, but the Exec needs to be confident that funds are being used properly and to know just where the money goes.

Like so much in Scouting it's about balance and give-and-take between people with different experiences and expectations. Good luck!

Thanks
    Just tell your GSL how you feel, and explain (politely) - that they aren't there to control you, they are there to help and guide you.
    If he/she is a good GSL, they will try and make sure you (one of the most important people in Scouting) - is being supported correctly. If they don't try and alter their style, or they are stubborn and rude - go to your DC and explain the whole situation.
    All of the opinions in this post are one's own, and do not reflect any organisation(s), person(s), or other entity(s).

Thanks

Minority Voice

...or the other point of view "I've just had to amalgamate an intransigent group into ours. I've got 25+ years experience in the District and their attitude is driving me to distraction: to try and smooth the amalgamation and help all the adults get to know each other I've called several planning meetings that are poorly attended; I've given up precious spare time to attend their section meetings, to better understand their way of working and see what problems they have and how I can help; I'm concerned about how to allocate funds equitably so although I've queried how they allocate expenditure from section funds, I'm not getting very far. I feel they don't trust me to manage the amalgamation and run the new Group, I have bit my lips, counted to 10 and practised yoga breathing - but the idea of returning to a new term in September is becoming unbearable....."
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ...or the other point of view "I've just had to amalgamate an intransigent group into ours. I've got 25+ years experience in the District and their attitude is driving me to distraction: to try and smooth the amalgamation and help all the adults get to know each other I've called several planning meetings that are poorly attended; I've given up precious spare time to attend their section meetings, to better understand their way of working and see what problems they have and how I can help; I'm concerned about how to allocate funds equitably so although I've queried how they allocate expenditure from section funds, I'm not getting very far. I feel they don't trust me to manage the amalgamation and run the new Group, I have bit my lips, counted to 10 and practised yoga breathing - but the idea of returning to a new term in September is becoming unbearable....."
    I was trying not to say that

Thanks
    You can't resolve conflict without dialogue and the sooner it happens the better. Ask to have a meeting in a neutral place. Discuss your concerns but accept that there are two points of view. Remember that working relationships evolve as the people involved get used to each other.

Just for interest, are you merging with them or are they merging with you? And how did this come about?