This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Assistant Scout Leader BoroGrecian's Avatar
    Thanks

uniform problems

a simple question...why is the SA uniform so appaling in quality? I have just had to buy a new shirt because my previous one (a so called female fit...I have yet to work out what female it fitted!) had started to fall apart at the seems (It has been re sewn twice) and it was less than two years old with not much wear (certinally nothing heavy duty)

The activity trousers are frankly a strange fit (the female ones anyway) and I have all but given up on those and now wear a pair of RN no 4 trousers instead.

I do happen to think that when worn properly the SA uniform is quite smart so the look of it isn't a problem, it's the quality which is proving to be my bug bare.
    1st Pinhoe (Exeter) Scouts ASL
    TS Exeter Sea Cadets & Royal Marines Cadets -Unit First Aid and Training Support Officer

Thanks
    Strange my shirt has stood up to 9 years of hard use with only a few slight stains to show for it.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Friday ESU & ABSL and Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.co.uk

Bookings Secretary - Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BoroGrecian View Post
    ...it was less than two years old with not much wear (certinally nothing heavy duty)
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Strange my shirt has stood up to 9 years of hard use with only a few slight stains to show for it.
    But doesn't that prove the point? - the newer shirts have nowhere near the quality of the older ones.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    But doesn't that prove the point? - the newer shirts have nowhere near the quality of the older ones.
    Exactly, also Sea Scout blue shirts are thinner and ladies Sea Scout shirts seem very poor. I bought a man's shirt but it's nowhere near the quality of the beige shirts.

Thanks
    No matter what size shirt I've tried the arms have always been too short on them for me- so either I have freaky long arms or the long sleeves are too short!

Thanks
    i dont have an issue with the quality, but the fit is bizarre, arms to short, and sizes are weird, one size to small next size could fit 3 people in it
    and ive never found a pair of sa trousers that fit, although i think theyre trying to change that

edit, sorry just realised your sea scout, my issues with the beige leaders shirts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joannacparker View Post
    No matter what size shirt I've tried the arms have always been too short on them for me- so either I have freaky long arms or the long sleeves are too short!
    Oh my shirt sleeves are always too long maybe I have freaky short arms but then I am only 5ft

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Just wondering if we're comparing apples and pears anyway? We've noticed that the "sold under licence" uniforms from other manufacturers sold at local school uniform shops (including when we had one, a local Scout shop), are a different fit, and far lower quality than the "original/official" ones bought direct from Lancing.

"Always check the label"
    Area Scout Network Commissioner/AAC Explorers - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    agree, mine only needed replacing in 2007 (having been brought in 2001) because it went in the wash with a red scout t-shirt which leached and give it nice "red" strips!

due to an expanding waist line, I have had three pairs of the smart trousers and the actual quality is fine but I have short legs so a pain to keep turning up the legs. They also tend to need washing or at very least ironing after each use, because they crease very easily but no more than some of the suits i wear for work.
    Martin Whelan

Assistant Scout Leader BoroGrecian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutandproud View Post
    i dont have an issue with the quality, but the fit is bizarre, arms to short, and sizes are weird, one size to small next size could fit 3 people in it
    and ive never found a pair of sa trousers that fit, although i think theyre trying to change that

edit, sorry just realised your sea scout, my issues with the beige leaders shirts
    No regular scouting (Sea and Marine Cadets however) so my problem has been with the beige shirts as well.
    1st Pinhoe (Exeter) Scouts ASL
    TS Exeter Sea Cadets & Royal Marines Cadets -Unit First Aid and Training Support Officer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BoroGrecian View Post
    The activity trousers are frankly a strange fit (the female ones anyway) and I have all but given up on those and now wear a pair of RN no 4 trousers instead.
    The activity trousers have just been redesigned.

Has anybody tried them, are they any good?

(Mine will be special order when I next need some, but that's a different story.)

Robert