This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Now I would travel to see Ewan do the can can in a TU Tu
    I shall reserve your tickets!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.denbydaleactiveyouth.org.uk

Thanks

Talking

I was very lucky to be involved in the recent Tynemouth Gang Show. This was my first Gang show (Never got the chance to be involved as a Youth Member) and I am still in awe of the work that goes into putting on the show and the commitment from the cast and crew. It's been a great way to meet people from all across the District. I can't help but laugh when I think of the cast running from portacabins to the stage door in the snow dressed in nothing but their ballet costumes.

Anyway, our show was a really good mix of traditional Ralph Reader numbers, Show tunes and more up to date songs and sketches. All the cast seemed to feature in roughly the same number of sketches or songs with parts geared towards the different sections and even the leaders. A highlight for many from the feedback I received was the Explorers performing songs from 'Our House' - the musical based on songs of Madness.

If you want more information on our recent show here's a link to the website:
    http://www.tynemouthscouts.org.uk/gangshow/index.htm.

There's a few photos that give an idea of the different material we covered in the Show.

I don't think I've had so much fun in a long time and the week of performances was hard work but very rewarding. I'm waiting delivery of the DVD and along with my Explorers, I can't wait for the next Gang Show in 2012!

Putting on a show like this seems to be the kind of tonic that our District Needs. Another wise leader pointed out to me that normally when we meet as a District, we're competing group against group for trophies but with Gang Show a large proportion of the District from all ages are pulling together in the same direction and it helps to remind us that we share the same goals and one of our biggest strengths is people!

I've really had my eyes opened as to what a fantastic Experience a Gang Show is when you're on the stage rather than watching from the Audience...

I wish you the best of luck!
    Ben Hudson
    ESL - Wallsend Explorers :: Tynemouth District :: Northumberland County
    UKCAUL - 22nd WSJ :: Northumberland Unit

Thanks

' Tynemouth are Tops Most Certainly '

You are most certainly right Ben, David's Shows at Tynemouth are always worth waiting for.

There has been a Great Gang Show Tradition in the 'Newcastle Area' going right back to the days of their First Producer Ted Potts.

It was Ted's sister Nellie Potts who ran Her own 'Dancing School' in Newcastle that gave Gang Shows in that area a 'Great Tradition' of 'Ballet'....!!??

The 1956 London Gang Show contained a piece called 'Madame Tite' which was repeated in 1957 in Birmingham at the Jamboree Show and by the North Yorkshire Scouts as part of their Jamboree Act.

The is a ' Ballet Scene' in the 1937 'Gang Show Film'

Although the Tradition has been ditched by many shows.

Good recent examples have been Harpenden in 2002 and Exeter in 2007.

Martin's Shows in North Devon and Graham & Co in Thurrock are great,great Shows,along with Inverness and Clyde.

John Master's Corby Gang Shows were the very,very best although unknown by many.

Bring Back 'Screamline' Please.

I spoke with Scott earlier in the week and the Tynemouth DVD should be ready any day now.

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Stu.. View Post
    Bring Back 'Screamline' Please.
    Dr.Stu..
    If only! Too much politics and people not wishing to play nicely together I'm afraid!
    Nick Wood
    Group Scout Leader
    1st Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle St. Andrews Porthill Scout Group Est. 1908

1st Porthill Scout Group's Web Site

1st Porthill on Twitter

Thanks

Gang Show material

Sorry I've only just seen this.
    I've recently retired and finally got around to putting material that I've written on a website. www.crisolin.com I'm happy for leaders to use any items with just a simple acknowledgement.
    There is also a page on Scoutbase which I'm told is about to be updated (Not before time). Good luck
    Colin Siequien

1st Halton
    Thanks
    Lets see, from the few shows i took part in some of the memorable sketchs:

Ostrich Song (2/3 men in ostrich & rider outfits (think 1 might have been Akela@4th ....can't remember what they sang thou)
    "If i were not upon the stage" - 6 different singers singing about thier jobs whist avoiding the flailing actions of the other singers
    Drums Alone.....bunch of cubs/scouts whinging about doing the washing up and turning it into a drumming sequence with pots and pans...my favorite
    Anything with crowd participation!

Thanks
    I went to exeter gangshow this year and had a great time as well as ending up highly embarassed as I was sat in a row surrounded by leaders and former gangshow cast so come crest the wave I was the only one in the row not doing the actions! However, this hasn't stopped me in saying I will go back next year.

They have the majority of there set online on youtube which included songs from glee, take that and other big artists as well as some older numbers and traditionals such as my red scarf and crest of the wave.

Having done ten years of youth theatre classics are always a safe bet such as lion king, cats, chitty chitty bang bang and mary poppins just to name a few but then I am old enough to know those films/musicals. Really and truly you got to think about the cast and their ages e.g. les miserables would be ideal if you had confident guides, senior section/young leaders who can sing where as disney under the sea would be more suitable for the younger ones.

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

They also did a wet weather camping sketch, with inspection.

Can't find the link but if you search exeter gang show 2011 it should come up.
    Last edited by happyabbie; 04-07-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    Biggleswade do a big Scout and Guide Gangshow. The last one was very well recieved. I haven't ever been to one, but I know both the local Scout DC and the Guide Divison Commissioner raved about it!

Not sure who you would get in touch with though (but I'm sure someone will be on here somewhere!)

AM

Thanks

' Waiting With Baited Breath........

Although only a third of the Gang Shows in the Uk were represented at the Gang Show Conference in Birmingham I think there is enough of a drive to encourage others who wish to stage Shows and indeed to find new material and to promote new young Directors and Producers.

The Exeter Show is a case in point as the Shows are Produced in turn by two highly gifted Young Leaders.

Luke T's item in this years Chester Show is a stand alone example of creative talent.

There are a number of interesting Gang Shows towards the end of the year.....

For those waiting for public displays of Ewan in his tutu....

I fear that like most men these performances are kept for those moments of private tension release....

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Dr.Stu..;238262]Although only a third of the Gang Shows in the Uk were represented at the Gang Show Conference in Birmingham I think there is enough of a drive to encourage others who wish to stage Shows and indeed to find new material and to promote new young Directors and Producers.

The Exeter Show is a case in point as the Shows are Produced in turn by two highly gifted Young Leaders........"

Exeter one is under new producers this coming year, but I shall still be there just got ask my adopted brother for the dates and to get my ticket me.

Just means I got hang around for him afterwards if hes helping again but I am looking forward to it.

I believe that those who were running it had come up through gangshow themselves so from the videos I have seen I can see why they were so good.
    Last edited by happyabbie; 11-07-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Crest of a wave and Flying High are the main ones I can remember....

We also had a floral dance (Terry Wogan stylee) because I was a token cornish maid in the group at the time... (1st Osterley!) something with lots of Elizabethan costumes, a short pantomime where I was dressed as a prince (!) and had to kiss the rather hairy lipped princess, a "ballet", a western, a ventriloquist with a (real) cub on his knee (his own son, no yellow card issues !) and a cool light display like star wars.... go for it!

2 kids, 1 house, non-scouty husband, BSL, ACSL, and 1 full time job!! If I can do it why can't everybody else?!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12