This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    ooo... hadn't thought about it from that slant... have left message on GSL's answerphone to see how he felt things went on thurs and if he has any cunning plans...

2 kids, 1 house, non-scouty husband, BSL, ACSL, and 1 full time job!! If I can do it why can't everybody else?!?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Are you saying that you had 6 adults, 4 of whom stayed in the kitchen, including the GSL, for virtually the whole meeting?
    I am sorry to say - what is wrong with that,,, it depends on the circumstances? What if the GSL was talking to the BSL for the whole time - an ideal time to do it when there are other adults in the hall.

I am a BSL, and DBSL - yet some meetings I am in the kitchen making coffee, talking to one of my ABSL's and then the other in confidence.... it depends on the situation and the reason....

I have a great parent rota... 2 or 3 ask to stay each week... I make sure these parents have something to do and the kids are happy... this may mean I am redundant - I do the prep, make coffee, tidy up - and step in when/if needed....

First impressions from an outside - I am not with the Beavers.... but I do know what is going on....
    Heron
    Parent - ex Beaver Leader, District Beaver Leader, TA and ESL

Renouf Design
    Explore the New Forest

Thanks
    I understand that and have indeed done it myself on the odd occasion. But from Tazmania's post I took it that it was the BSL, GSL and 2 parent helpers that were in the kitchen for the whole meeting (together with an Explorer (YL?)).

I can understand that the GSL & BSL may have things to talk about that could conceivably take the whole meeting, but I don't understand why the parent helpers were there as well - unless they were attempting to persuade them to take up an appointment!

Obviously it is difficult/impossible to judge this situation wthout being on the ground, but to my way of thinking something is not right here.
    Peter

CSL - 2nd Bracknell - Scouting for North & East Bracknell - www.2ndbracknell.co.uk

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

North Ockendon (Home). Kingston Upon Thames (Term)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I understand that and have indeed done it myself on the odd occasion. But from Tazmania's post I took it that it was the BSL, GSL and 2 parent helpers that were in the kitchen for the whole meeting (together with an Explorer (YL?)).

I can understand that the GSL & BSL may have things to talk about that could conceivably take the whole meeting, but I don't understand why the parent helpers were there as well - unless they were attempting to persuade them to take up an appointment!

Obviously it is difficult/impossible to judge this situation wthout being on the ground, but to my way of thinking something is not right here.
    As much as I can see what you are saying:

There's offically only two leaders, and surely the GSL and BSL could arrange a talk outside colony meetings.

and from what has been said by Tazmania they where just playing about.
    Marcus Humphrey

HERE BE SCOUTS providing custom maps, visualisations and routing

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmania View Post
    .... stayed in the kitchen, making drinks, frying prawn crackers (!) and tidying up mess after chopstick relay.

We sent the children into kitchen for drinks, fortune cookies and prawn cracker tasting after doing dragon dance activity so we could set up the craft base in peace. Last 15 mins they made chinese hats and new year cards and then BSL came back to do closing ceremony.

But why call yourself BSL if you don't want to be working with the Beavers for the whole session???
    [b]
    ----------------
    Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn or have missed something but from this post it would appear that those in the kitchen were contributing to and interacting with the Beavers for at least part of the meeting and hopefully they did the clearing up as well ....
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scouts

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by astwood7 View Post
    Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn or have missed something but from this post it would appear that those in the kitchen were contributing to and interacting with the Beavers for at least part of the meeting and hopefully they did the clearing up as well ....
    Nothing wrong with discussions in the kitchen, or with having one base involving food in the kitchen providing the safety of the YP isn't compromised. However if you read back through the thread you will see the Op was left completely alone with the Beavers the week before, while the others went off to drink coffee and it appears not for the first time. Also that badge records are not being kept up to date and little programme planning has been done. Other parents are apparently complaining too. I think I would be asking questions too in these circumstances.

Thanks
    I would agree with lots of people on here and say contact the ADC Beavers asap; that's what they're there for surely?
    Rachel - BSL 1st Heath Hayes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    I think I would be asking questions too in these circumstances.
    Yes, there would appear to be a need to ask questions but also a need to stick to facts that back up the concerns - complaining about leaders being in the kitchen preparing and running a base for the beavers is not going to help the case ....
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scouts

Thanks
    Sorry - this week was actually an improvement as normally I end up running everything...

And now I have a choice to make as my hubby has changed his work patterns - do I quit Cubs and concentrate all my efforts on Beavers or leave Beavers to fizzle out on its own and potentially undo all the good work that Akela and myself did last year...My son will leave Beavers to start Cubs after Easter, so the Mum in me wants to let him develop on his own, but I love doing Cubs and know that Akela and Mrs Akela want to ease off a bit and let us youngsters do more, which will be harder with only 1 other leader...

But we'll see what GSL / Akela says tonight

2 kids, 1 house, non-scouty husband, BSL, ACSL, and 1 full time job!! If I can do it why can't everybody else?!?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmania View Post
    Sorry - this week was actually an improvement as normally I end up running everything...

And now I have a choice to make as my hubby has changed his work patterns - do I quit Cubs and concentrate all my efforts on Beavers or leave Beavers to fizzle out on its own and potentially undo all the good work that Akela and myself did last year...My son will leave Beavers to start Cubs after Easter, so the Mum in me wants to let him develop on his own, but I love doing Cubs and know that Akela and Mrs Akela want to ease off a bit and let us youngsters do more, which will be harder with only 1 other leader...

But we'll see what GSL / Akela says tonight
    Thats a tough decision and only one you can make. The only section I was in with my sons was Beavers and when they left I did feel more relaxed.

I would go with whatever gut feeling you have as to what you want to do.
    Roger Woods
    Cub Scout Leader, Pegasus Pack,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton
    www.sawley-scouts.org.uk

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    Country coordinator - Scoutlink
    Radio amateur (G8XAN)

Member of the BBBS

The Bring Bushfella Back Society. Join if you think he should stay. http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/thre...ng-Cold-Turkey

Thanks
    Right update time!

Archery sorted, now being run monthly at another site with PLENTY of room! (Thanks Sticker!)

It's going so well that we are going to have an archery themed (Robin Hood of course!) sleepover at the hq where we are having the archery!

GSL has helped them get heads round groups finance system - monthly subs, section keeps £1.50 per child, group gets the rest for capitation etc. and he is coming down every month to chase subs, sort out "Give it a go" (subsidised by County Council for people on low income) payments and do fire drills!

Section nights are still a bit sketchy but the kids are happier when BSL ISN'T in the hall!!! YLs are being allowed to do more and came up with a great set of rules with the kids, which they used in a game later.

I am IC badges now and keeping the records upto date, also doing parent letters and linking with district/county... But they run the activities and get crafts etc ready. SO we're getting there.

I'm still helping in both sections at mo, as older son is happy to entertain himself for 2 hours and they both enjoy coming to cubs (because of this half term's food theme?!)

So it might just work...

Thanks
    all gone t/u again this week... wasn't really anyone's fault, HQ was being used for a district meet after beavers and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, which distracted the kids and made the behaviour a bit wobbly, but as we had planned to go out following a trail for half an hour round the local neighbourhood, so we had extra YLs in yellow tabards and the kids really enjoyed getting out for the 1st time this year, following chalk arrows and spotting "hidden treasure" (CDs tied to trees!)

Problem came when we got back - DC had come to present 3 bronze awards (that took some sorting!) and people had started arriving for 7 o clock meeting so were sort of milling around outside and drifting into the kitchen, where our parent helper was trying to cook pancakes!

BL was so out of breath after our (not even half mile) walk, he had to sit down and be revived with coffee, so he was out of the picture and his wife (ABSL) and son (YL) sort of drifted off, leaving me to organise serving of pancakes, which quickly got delegated to BL, drinks for hot children and a game to fill the 5 mins before closing ceremony and badges.... DC asked me who's in charge. I said BL.

He then asked BL and Mrs BL who's in charge and they both said ME!!!! SO what's going on?!? His name is on all the paperwork and letters etc but, to all intents and purposes, me and the YLs run the programme, with a LOT of help from Akela, who is supposed to be doing scout shop... DC looked bemused. I feel USED!

Thanks
    Tazmania,

You, apparently walk like a duck, and talk like a duck, therefore you must be a duck.

Stop pfaffing about. If they both say that you are in charge, then get the change of role sorted out... but beware that you may be left holding the baby.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.denbydaleactiveyouth.org.uk

Thanks
    Well hopefully the DC will now have a word with your GSL along the lines of "your BSL doesn't seem to think he's in charge, do you think you need to have a discussion with him about his role and responsibilities?"

I can't see how anyone can say (even if they think) you are in charge as you are "just" a parent helper.

I don't blame the DC for being bemused, what will test his qualities is what he does next.
    Last edited by Kastor; 11-03-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    looks like you have to officialy take on role of BL and actualy take control of the colony and leadership team,

.. or walk away.
    You don't stop playing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop playing.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast