This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question One for all you clever people out there!

We currently have young lad with complex needs who joined Beavers in Sept last year and is only really now starting to settle into a good routine and engage in everything (developmental delay, which has caused behaviour issues at school but, so far, we have yet to see any real evidence at Beavers)

He does not have any specific diagnosis but (with my professional hat on), he does have some movement coordination problems, language/communication difficulties and is very delayed with reading and writing so needs extra help with any paper based tasks.

He is really starting to thrive with us and his stepdad is having to stay to help him less and less, but he will be 8 in May and I am worried he will get lost at cubs as it is a very physical, rough and tumble group.

Can we hang on to him until after the holidays, so he can at least go on a sleepover with us, and go up with another child, or does he HAVE to go up at 8?

2 kids, 1 house, non-scouty husband, BSL, ACSL, and 1 full time job!! If I can do it why can't everybody else?!?

North Ockendon (Home). Kingston Upon Thames (Term)
    Thanks
    I'm sure it says in POR, someone who knows POR better than me will most probably quote it, but I think if you have approval of DC or GSL (it's one of them, think it's DC) then he can stay on for up to a year.

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

3.11 (b)
    Flexibility for Individual Members
    When necessary, due to a young person’s special needs, the District Commissioner may, on the recommendation of the Assistant County Commissioner (Special Needs) or County Adviser, permit a young person to be in a Section outside of the normal age range. This permission should be logged on a simple form and be subject to annual review.
    A factsheet and supporting forms are available from the Scout Information Centre.
    Marcus Humphrey

HERE BE SCOUTS providing custom maps, visualisations and routing

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    You can keep him longer with approval from the DC

A few years ago we asked our DC to allow a YP with CP to do so, but our DC said no.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

Thanks
    You can hold on to him, I am sure someone will come and quote POR but I have held a few back after 8th Birthday for different reasons.
    Just keep the Cub Leader & GSL in the picture.

Well done on bringing this young person on and helping him develop in Beavers, hope sleepover goes well.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Nicole

ADC Cub Scouts

GSL 2nd Langham

Thanks
    You can keep him until he is 8 and a half without anyone's permission, beyond that you need to seek the DCs permission as others have said.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Friday ESU & ABSL and Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.co.uk

Bookings Secretary - Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I had a similar Beaver and it was lovely to see him thrive We kept him until he was 8 and half as per POR and the only reason I didn't keep him after that was he was so much bigger than the rest. We've had similar situations in all three sections, and I find after that extra half a year, you can sometimes have a child you are afraid will genuinly hurt some of the smaller ones in any games that are a bit rough and tumble, our one Cub we had for instance was a good head taller than the rest of the cubs by the time he was 11 and we had quite a young pack.

Caron (Sunshine)
    More Roles in Group and Area than is strictly healthy!!!

FLAGS Active Support Member

Thanks
    Between you, the CSL and his parents you can choose his moving up date anytime up to 8 1/2 years without involving anybody else. Delayed development, a sleepover, and moving on with another kid all sound like excellent reasons for using that 6 month flexibility.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    It's pretty common for kids to only move section at the end of term, which is why the standard age ranges have flexibility on them. If he's 8 in May then you can easily keep him (as others have said) until the end of term and you wouldn't be doing anything unusual in the slightest.

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    I have had a similar position myself, the core age for Cubs is 8 years so you have some lee way yet. The people you need to be talking to thought is your GSL, CSL and the Parents, the need to involve the DC is when you have a plan in place .
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

And there we have it. We are Scouts, regardless of race , creed, colour or sexuality... If we can agree on that, then what more do we need? 5/4/2014
    The term "youth led movement" is a misnomer. We are a movement led for youth. - Ewan Scott 28/10/2012
    Mek tae not war - Ancient Black Country saying

Thanks
    We have a beaver that is 9 at the moment.
    With the permission of the dc as they have learning difficulties, this gets reviewed fairly regularly
    when they are ready to move up they will

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dasy2k1; 19-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL 123rd Manchester
    MANSSAGO
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    We had a beaver who stayed until he was nearly nine, at which point he decided he didn't want to be a beaver anymore. None of the other beavers made any comment about it, they just accepted that he was one of them. It suited everyone concerned and nobody had a problem with it. We are here, after all, to help all children have fun & reach their full potential.

Thanks
    See, you are all brilliant at wording sensible answers!! Parents haven't said anything yet, just forward planning...

2 kids, 1 house, non-scouty husband, BSL, ACSL, and 1 full time job!! If I can do it why can't everybody else?!?

North Ockendon (Home). Kingston Upon Thames (Term)
    Thanks
    it is good that you are forward planning, so if parents ask, you then have the stuff and can hopefully start the ball rolling sooner rather than later if you need to.
    Marcus Humphrey

HERE BE SCOUTS providing custom maps, visualisations and routing

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Having had a child that has held back due to their development delays, I would say speak to the parents before you do anything else. My son was held back for nearly months in Cubs and as his 11th Birthday approached he asked why was he the only cub in year 6? All of the others in the pack were in years 3-4. As a result he left Cubs not wanting to join Scouts. At no stage were we consulted over the situation and at the time I was a BSL and my husband a senior committee member, every time either of us mentioned it the subject was changed.

6 months later, after his sister joined another Group, he decided he wanted to join that Group where he is doing really well. So a happy ending. But if only someone had have spoken to us in the old Group.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Having had a child that has held back due to their development delays, I would say speak to the parents before you do anything else. My son was held back for nearly months in Cubs and as his 11th Birthday approached he asked why was he the only cub in year 6? All of the others in the pack were in years 3-4.
    Completely right that parents (and at Cub age the Cub) must be part of that discussion - in my reply to the OP I said "Between you, the CSL and his parents you can choose his moving up date anytime up to 8 1/2 years without involving anybody else." I'd suggest though that in your son's case it's not the 'holding back until his 11th birthday approached' which is questionable, it's the lack of involvement of him or his parents in the discussion, and the fact that he was left isolated from his mates. It's not uncommon that we have Cubs not going up until their 11th birthday approaches, and at the other end we have Cubs going up a few months after their 10th birthday - the key driver in that is that retention through the transition to Scouts is much better if Cubs go up in gangs. In a few weeks time we'll have 5 Cubs, with nearly six months between their ages, go up together - the odd timing is all down to discussions with the SL and the kids about what's going to work best to get all 5 of them moved on.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast