This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Thanks

Scout Talent Show

I'm helping to organise a fundraising talent show for my district. Unfortunately, at our first rehearsal/audition this morning, turnout was poor but we've got plans to overcome that.

Has anyone done anything like this before, and has anyone got ideas how to involve all sections. People have come along to audition, but we want to try and 'group' them together, rather than just have lots of individual acts, particularly for the younger sections.

I'm completely out of my depth here, and just so glad there is a very talented musician helping to organise it too! Any advice, ideas etc much appreciated.
    Jamie
    ACSL - 5th Darlington Scout Group
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group
    Events Officer - Lancaster University SSAGO

Thanks
    Ask every section in every group to sort out atleast one act - it could be the Beavers doing a campfire song.

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

Dont forget Dramatist is in your District so try to utilise his talents.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Ask every section in every group to sort out atleast one act - it could be the Beavers doing a campfire song.

Dont forget Dramatist is in your District so try to utilise his talents.
    Unfortunately he hasn't replied to my pm, or DC's email. DC is going to phone I think

Getting every group invovled is something we discussed this morning. Out of 13 groups and 2 units, only 2 of the groups turned up, and both units. Even then, though, there was still only 7 people!!!
    It is obvious that the groups aren't going to come to the district, so we are going to take the district to the groups, if that makes sense
    Jamie

Thanks
    Do you have to audition? Why not just get sections/yp to sign up and allocate slots for the talent show from that. It doesnt matter how bad an act is, its just a bit of fun to get the district together.

Talk with GSLs and Section leaders - you might be able to go down to each section at each group and run a programme to put together some acts.
    Keith "Hawkeye"

Thanks
    Audition is probably the wrong word. This workshop we had this morning was more just an opportunity to meet those who want to perform and give them a chance to, say, play with other musicians etc etc

We are hopefully going out to each of the sections, emails to gsl's went out tonight
    Jamie

Thanks
    Hi all

what would be the issues with opening auditions like these to all young people in a given area? Could it act as a basis for recruiting?

Y.I.S. Tony

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjam View Post
    Audition is probably the wrong word. This workshop we had this morning was more just an opportunity to meet those who want to perform and give them a chance to, say, play with other musicians etc etc

We are hopefully going out to each of the sections, emails to gsl's went out tonight
    Providing that the word has got out (if it hasn't then you will find out when you visit the Groups); then in your second sentence there could be an answer.
    'those who want to perform' it could be that many do not.

Our County have a Gang Show so it is not a talent show or competetive - and everytime County send info about it we give handouts to EVERY Scout (I think Cubs do the same), we discuss what the show is like etc, and as yet we have had no Cub or Scout from our Group go to the open sessions. I do know that some of them can play instruments, dance, sing in choirs, act with school or the local AM Dram Groups - but they will not go to this and you can't make them.

I have even offered to take Scouts to the actual show so they can see what fun it is - and none have taken me up on it - although the Beavers and Cubs do go.

Thanks

' Leading His Scouts a Merry Dance........

Hello Jamie and Greetings from Sunny London.

I have just returned to London from the North Jamie where I saw quite a number of Gang Shows......

Near to you are the Middlesbrough and Northallerton Gang Shows that are two of the Best Gang Shows in the World.....

Dave at the Stafford Gang Show was one of Ralph's London Gang Show Boy Scouts from 1960 and is a mind of information on these things.....

Jamie do say when your Show is being Performed I would love to come and see it.

' Jamie you will find the People in the North very friendly although they do put on some funny accents at different times.....although I expect they speak in quite normal voices at home.......'

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    Thanks all for replying

Both the dc and I agree that we don't want this to be a gang show. What we want is a fundraising show that lets everyone have a go who wants to and is just good fun. This year is the first year, so it isn't going to be a big lavish production.

I believe there have been communication problems, with the message either getting stuck with either the gsl's or section leaders, which is why we are wanting to go around all sections, run some activities, talk to parents and hopefully get people to take part

The show is hopefully going to be at the end of April, depending on the availability of the hall
    Jamie

New Beaver Scout Leader vgreenwood's Avatar
    Thanks
    how about a rip off of Britains got Talent (sorry if you're a great fan) but really there are some terrible acts and some brilliant acts.

The judges can sit with clipboards - someone who has difficulty with lines and there can be an Ant and Dec.

Contestants : there can be some talented acts of a variety of skills but those really wanting to play around without loosing face can do a parady of the less talented acts. some temper tantrums and bad singing, silly hairstyles .... sound familier?
    In addition there are places for backing singers / choir / dancers / musicians (who could be pretending) for those wanting to do a good turn but not up to solo
    then the contestants sometimes have parents/supporters which you can show waiting in the "wings".

Thanks
    Thanks for that vikki, I quite like the sound of that, although we'll hopefully be able to sell tickets to parents, so they'll be in the audience
    Jamie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Stu.. View Post
    Hello Jamie and Greetings from Sunny London.

I have just returned to London from the North Jamie where I saw quite a number of Gang Shows......

Near to you are the Middlesbrough and Northallerton Gang Shows that are two of the Best Gang Shows in the World.....

Dave at the Stafford Gang Show was one of Ralph's London Gang Show Boy Scouts from 1960 and is a mind of information on these things.....

Jamie do say when your Show is being Performed I would love to come and see it.

' Jamie you will find the People in the North very friendly although they do put on some funny accents at different times.....although I expect they speak in quite normal voices at home.......'

Dr.Stu..
    Middlesbrough Gang Show is on this April at the Middlesbrough Theatre Dr Stu
    Keith "Hawkeye"

Thanks
    Just found out that Jonathan has been in hospital with life threatening Pnumonia so he isnt going to be back Scouting for a while.
    Keith "Hawkeye"

District Web-master Chopwell's yeti's Avatar
    Blaydon (Holiday Time) Middlesbrough (Term Time)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Middlesbrough Gang Show is on this April at the Middlesbrough Theatre Dr Stu
    Indeed it is, 10-14th. Should be a great show, the sets are looking amazing.

You could also try and get an award or trophy made to award to the winners.

Thanks
    Keith "Hawkeye"