This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awards

Thanks

Awards

Am I the only one totally demotivated by our Awards process? I tried raising some suggestions with Richard Butler Chair of the Awards Board but he wont deal with any nominations unless they are made via a CC.

He would not even raise them with the CC.

So why are only "management initated and approved" candidates getting higher awards? In our county this equates with District and County service only (we have not had a Group based person get a higher award in the two years our CC has been in post).

Is it not time for a system where any Group can nominate good candidates?

Thanks
    Evidently a problem with your County as our DCs ask regularly at District Team & GSLs meetings for any nominations for awards and get queried by the CC if they have no nominations.

In our Group & Unit alone we have Leaders with a Silver Acorn, Bar to the Medal of Merit, Medal of Merit and at least two Chief Scout’s Commendations for Good Service and only one of these Leaders has ever held a District appointment.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Friday ESU & ABSL and Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.co.uk

Bookings Secretary - Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Can you not raise them through the county?

Thanks
    The form is on the website at http://www.scouts.org.uk/documents/A...rd%20Mar10.doc fill it in and draft a citation for awards above commendation and hand it to your GSL, DC, District Chair, District Sec if they have any sense they will be grateful someone has done the difficult part.

Thanks
    I'm not bothered by awards - we are all in it (surely?) because we enjoy seeing YP develop.

Barney

Thanks
    I feel that some Scouters offer 'above and beyond' and this should be recognised. They don't do it because they want an award, in fact, quite a number of them don't even feel that what they do is 'above and beyond' but outsiders can see the difference.
    I get an attack of the warm fuzzys when a YP or a parent says thank you. I had the same feeling when I got an award (which I didn't expect or know about). I felt it was TSA saying thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airobat View Post
    I feel that some Scouters offer 'above and beyond' and this should be recognised. They don't do it because they want an award, in fact, quite a number of them don't even feel that what they do is 'above and beyond' but outsiders can see the difference.
    I get an attack of the warm fuzzys when a YP or a parent says thank you. I had the same feeling when I got an award (which I didn't expect or know about). I felt it was TSA saying thanks.
    I totally agree.

2 years ago, My husband (SL) and I were nominated for a "Pride in Harborough Award" which is initiated by the local paper. It wasn't the fact that we won it that counted for anything, it was the fact that 2 of the Scouts in our section felt they should nominate us. That meant so much.

It's the same with the Scouting Awards. It isn't the actual receipt of them that matters, but the fact that someone felt you deserved one and took the time to apply. It makes the receiver feel valued.

County rarely see what is going on at Group level. The County is a big place and to know every Leader and what they do must be almost impossible unless they are gobby and outspoken like me

The Leaders need to be speaking up and saying, "Hey, did you know this Leader does this that and the other? Did you know they put in all this without much thanks? Can you apply for this please as I feel they deserve it?"

Which makes me think...........I know someone who should get an award...........I'm off to have a look

Thanks
    Scally, you already raised it directly with Wayne. http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/threads/21278-Awards Why raise it again?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    Am I the only one totally demotivated by our Awards process? I tried raising some suggestions with Richard Butler Chair of the Awards Board but he wont deal with any nominations unless they are made via a CC. He would not even raise them with the CC. So why are only "management initated and approved" candidates getting higher awards? In our county this equates with District and County service only (we have not had a Group based person get a higher award in the two years our CC has been in post). Is it not time for a system where any Group can nominate good candidates?
    This is not the first time that you have brought this subject up if I remember correctly. I am not suprised that the Chair of the Awards Board would not discuss the matter with you. If he did then he would be inundated with personal requests. The awards board is there to ensure that Awards Nationally are of a similar standard when the citations are taken into account. I'm glad that he wouldn't raise it with the CC as it is not his position to do so. If you feel that there is a problem with your CC confirming a DCs nomination for an award then you need to take that up with the CCs manager. I believe that previously you have suggested that someone who put in a lot of effort on one or two projects over a short period is equally as deserving as someone who has done so for 20-30 years. I appreciate that Good Service Awards are for Good Service, but you have got to put some sort of specification on the award in terms of what sort of time period. For instance why would someone with 5 years service be deserving say a Silver Acorn over someone with 25 years? Not an easy question to answer I think. A manager has to approve them as they have to try to work to a National Standard. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Leader or Assistant making a suggestion to the DC and even helping the DC write the citation. The DC needs to approve it then the CC needs to approve it and put on a recomendation. So a Group can nominate - you just do it through the proper channels. As far as Distreict and County personnel getting the higher awards - it is possible that they are the ones with a longer period of good service and is certainly more noticable to the DC & CC. If someone is in a Group and they are not seen then the only people who can nominate are those who know the good work they are doing. The DC is not a mind reader. I also appreciate that some DCs and CCs are more pro-active in this area, but for what it is worth in my District there are more people with both Medal of Merit or Silver Acorn in Groups than there are at District level, and hopefully there will be a few more announced next week.

Thanks
    I've got a couple of awards...

I wonder, what motivates people more, a thank you and a small gift from the Group once a year, or an award presented by someone they never see... Let me think... Bit of a no brainer, really.

Anyone can recommend nominations for Awards to the DC. So, why not make the suggestions to your DC and see what happens?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.denbydaleactiveyouth.org.uk

Thanks
    I was given a bottle of wine and a thank you card by a grateful Mum yesterday for giving her daughter a fantastic time at BS. She is moving up to CS after Easter & I was very happy with that & the thank yous from the other parents. Made me feel warm & fuzzy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    Scally, you already raised it directly with Wayne. http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/threads/21278-Awards Why raise it again?
    Dear Gooders, cause nothings changed! 5 more District folk have just got awards and none from any of the 15 Grousp in our District.

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I've got a couple of awards...

I wonder, what motivates people more, a thank you and a small gift from the Group once a year, or an award presented by someone they never see... Let me think... Bit of a no brainer, really.

Anyone can recommend nominations for Awards to the DC. So, why not make the suggestions to your DC and see what happens?
    Hi,already done. He agreed to support but if its gone into the County theres no award made this year (again) as ours have just been announced

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    This is not the first time that you have brought this subject up if I remember correctly. I am not suprised that the Chair of the Awards Board would not discuss the matter with you. If he did then he would be inundated with personal requests. The awards board is there to ensure that Awards Nationally are of a similar standard when the citations are taken into account. I'm glad that he wouldn't raise it with the CC as it is not his position to do so. If you feel that there is a problem with your CC confirming a DCs nomination for an award then you need to take that up with the CCs manager. I believe that previously you have suggested that someone who put in a lot of effort on one or two projects over a short period is equally as deserving as someone who has done so for 20-30 years. I appreciate that Good Service Awards are for Good Service, but you have got to put some sort of specification on the award in terms of what sort of time period. For instance why would someone with 5 years service be deserving say a Silver Acorn over someone with 25 years? Not an easy question to answer I think. A manager has to approve them as they have to try to work to a National Standard. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Leader or Assistant making a suggestion to the DC and even helping the DC write the citation. The DC needs to approve it then the CC needs to approve it and put on a recomendation. So a Group can nominate - you just do it through the proper channels. As far as Distreict and County personnel getting the higher awards - it is possible that they are the ones with a longer period of good service and is certainly more noticable to the DC & CC. If someone is in a Group and they are not seen then the only people who can nominate are those who know the good work they are doing. The DC is not a mind reader. I also appreciate that some DCs and CCs are more pro-active in this area, but for what it is worth in my District there are more people with both Medal of Merit or Silver Acorn in Groups than there are at District level, and hopefully there will be a few more announced next week.
    Yes I raised it before (and nothing changed) but I did not make the other suggestion that you refer to!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    Am I the only one totally demotivated by our Awards process? I tried raising some suggestions with Richard Butler Chair of the Awards Board but he wont deal with any nominations unless they are made via a CC.

He would not even raise them with the CC.

So why are only "management initated and approved" candidates getting higher awards? In our county this equates with District and County service only (we have not had a Group based person get a higher award in the two years our CC has been in post).

Is it not time for a system where any Group can nominate good candidates?
    Hi (sorry still don't know your name)

I've done 35 years as warranted leader and have not a single scout association award, am I worried, No, not in the least it really doesn't matter. I have a Jack Petchy Award which is nice and an empty can of Evo Stick which I consider to be priceless. If you are only in it to benefit young people why do these awards matter so much to you ?

Y.I.S. Tony

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    Hi (sorry still don't know your name)

I've done 35 years as warranted leader and have not a single scout association award, am I worried, No, not in the least it really doesn't matter. I have a Jack Petchy Award which is nice and an empty can of Evo Stick which I consider to be priceless. If you are only in it to benefit young people why do these awards matter so much to you ?

Y.I.S. Tony
    If they don't matter then why have them?

I think what Scally is trying to say is he knows lots of people who deserve the awards but because they are at Group level they don't get them. The same is true in my District, there haven't been awards for non-District appontments for years.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    If they don't matter then why have them?

I think what Scally is trying to say is he knows lots of people who deserve the awards but because they are at Group level they don't get them. The same is true in my District, there haven't been awards for non-District appontments for years.
    Hi Kastor

Just an idea why don't you get the group together and make an award to those you think deserve it. My group did this for me five years ago I got a lovely watch and a sat nav from them (because I rarely know where I am or what time it is) it meant a lot to me.

Y.I.S. Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast