This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Oh we often thnk would be easier not to cook on wood every Summer camp. Last year tried to do breakfast on gas and evening meals on wood. feed back from scouts "Can we cook all on wood again next year" so as its their camp they get a big say in what happens. We tend to do a Jamboree once every 4 or 5 years and the only negative that every comes back is fact they can't cook on wood fires. Maybe its the fact they all come from a rural area or maybe just a bunch of pyro's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Sayers View Post
    thanks everybody - Advice has been most useful. Had meeting with the PL's last night and final programme (subject to usual last minute changes by the leader !!!!) has been put together.

One final question anyone know what sort of wood supply they have on camp. We prefer (Insist really) to cook all meals etc on wood fires and site has said no problem, but we have been on camp before having been told that only to find a wood pile that would barely keep a fire in for an hour let alone Scouts Patrol cooking for a week - plus the usual nightly fire etc. My thoughts are just how much wood could they have unless its all pallets. Ah maybe a programme activity collecting drift wood - ho ho
    When last we went to the Isle of Man we got in touch with a local firewood supplier (via the local Group I believe) and had a trailer load of seasoned firewood delivered at the beginning of the week. A call to the centre might get you a local contact.

Stephen
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    Hi

Couple of quick questions:

Is the zip wire and high ropes a Creepy Valley activity ad have you managed to sort our your wood supplier

Thanks
    Yes we are using Creepy Valley activity - why should I worry about that ??? - got all the risk assesments done and approval from local scouting so hope you are not about to deliver bad news.
    Wood supply - still working on it. The site contact is currently away so awaiting a response. They have said have plenty of wood on site but I get feeling it will be pallets etc which as we all know create plenty of flame and sparks but not a lot of long term cooking heat.

Thanks
    Tried posting earlier but it doesn't appear to have worked. So once again.....

No problem with Creepy Valley, I was just going to suggest it to you. Definitely 10 out of 10.

If you are still looking for activities have you considered Les Mielles. Haven't been for a while but last time we went there, everyone had a good time. http://www.lesmielles.net/87-activity-centre.html

If you are interested in a bush /survival type activity, there's a guy who does a very interesting activity, based on foraging and fire lighting etc

What type of wood are you looking for?

Thanks
    any decent wood - not the pallets etc often found on sites. We like to do main cooking on wood fires so small logs or similar would be ideal so some heat in embers of fire for longer.
    We looked a Les Mielles - got mixed reports so thought a couple of leaders might wizz out early in week to check it over. Bush Survival activity sounds interesting although we have done quite a bit always good to get new ideas and different viewpoint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123