This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy

Thread: Problem Solving

Thanks

Problem Solving

Hi I hope you guys can help. We are doing the creativity challenge badge at the moment and im looking for some ideas for a problem solving night. Basically i want it to be fun for them yet also challenge their brain matter. We have a fairly young cub pack at the moment with the majority of the cubs being 8 and a few that are 9. We have about 15 scouts week on week so something that can get split into 3 teams would be great. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Thanks
    Code breaking, think I may have some I can email if you want

Minefield game - make a grid on the floor with masking tape, 4 squares by 10. There is one safe route across the minefield, which the cubs have to discover one row at a time. The other cubs need to remember which squares are unsafe

Will add any more if I think of any
    Jamie
    ACSL - 5th Darlington Scout Group
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group
    Events Officer - Lancaster University SSAGO

Thanks
    How about making tissue paper hot air balloons, or live yoghurt, tye die tshirts, tower building. Challenges could be : pick up a mug with a balloon, or build a contraption to transport an egg over a distance or to survive a drop from a height.

CSL (+...)
    Thanks
    We did a crystal maze night for this (and enough of them had seen it to understand) - in sixes go through 4 zones with 3 bases in each. Crystals awarded for completing tasks and a prize for the most crystals at the end of the night. I've attached the instructions for the base leaders.

Crystal maze instructions.docx

Thanks
    Thanks very much for the ideas everyone Jamie I have pmd you my email address

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjam View Post
    Minefield game - make a grid on the floor with masking tape, 4 squares by 10. There is one safe route across the minefield, which the cubs have to discover one row at a time. The other cubs need to remember which squares are unsafe
    I like the sound of this game Jamie; would you elaborate on the game or point me somewhere I can find more info?
    Questions include:
    1) How do you identify the safe route vs the mines? - and who tells them when they have been blown up??
    2) How do the Cubs play the game? - one at a time until blown up??

Thanks
    Martin
    Martin (CSL)

Thanks
    Eskibrew - when I've played minefield, I draw the minefield in advance on paper and then they go across 1 at a time and then the leader or whoever's running the game shouts boom or suchlike when they hit a mine. They then go to the back and the next one goes so the others have to watch constantly to see where the mines are and try to remember. The first one across wins. It's up to you whether they're out as soon as they're blown up or whether they just go to the back.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Beaver View Post
    Eskibrew - when I've played minefield, I draw the minefield in advance on paper and then they go across 1 at a time and then the leader or whoever's running the game shouts boom or suchlike when they hit a mine. They then go to the back and the next one goes so the others have to watch constantly to see where the mines are and try to remember. The first one across wins. It's up to you whether they're out as soon as they're blown up or whether they just go to the back.

Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks, that's great. I think I'll give this a go on Tuesday
    Martin (CSL)

Thanks
    I put together a list a near impossible situations for our cubs, which had a really easy solution if they thought about it. Give them a measure of rope, a chairs, a tennis ball and sheet of paper. The instruction is "using any of the equipment in front of you cross from one side of the hall to the other without touching the floor in the middle".
    They were very ingenious and after a while they managed to get one cub from one side to the other using the tennis ball and sheet of paper; the rope was then thrown across and used to pull the bench into the middle while the other chair was used as a stepping stone to bridge the gap.
    Imagine their faces when our YL walked around the outside of the hall.

The way we give instructions can always be manipulated.
    I was told it was only an hour a week....

Thanks
    Ok, I did the minesweeper game last night and it was a storming success

I made a grid on the floor with masking tape (6 squares wide by 10 squares long). It took them quite a few goes to get the idea but then some of them would scoot across the known good squares so fast I had trouble keeping an eye on them and the solution at the same time to ensure they did not step on a mine.

I dug an old snare drum out of the attic and whacked that with my hand when they trod on a mine - it made a very loud bang - some were a bit nervous at stepping on the squares

Anyway, we played it for 15 minutes and they only got across once but loved it and want to play again next week. I was surprised that they found it more fun than the activity which was constructing team catapults using a clothes peg, lolly stick and lego... they did enjoy that too though and I was surprised how far some of the catapults could throw the plasticine "rocks".
    Martin (CSL)