This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks

Gaining your training has never been easier . . .

This page puts a diverse range of training methods right at your fingertips.
    From this page you can download, watch and interact with the training method of your choice. One of the key principles of the Adult Training Scheme is flexibility and fundamental to this, is giving you – the learner - the opportunity to learn at a convenient time and place for you. So why not make the most of it?

https://scouts.org.uk/learnersresources/

Training Methods

01 Essential information Video Downloads E-learningIntroductionEssential information Fundamentals of Scouting Fundamentals of Scouting Structure and Support Structure and Support SafetySafetyChild Protection Policy Child Protection Policy Summary02 Personal Learning Plan Adult’s Personal File03 Tools for the Job (Section Leaders) E-learningIntroductionSections and ceremoniesRoles and responsibilitiesGames and activitiesPost module quizNetwork review update 04 Tools for the Job (Managers) E-learningIntroductionScouting Sections Roles and responsibilitiesPolicy and guidance mechanisms Post module quizNetwork review update05 Fundamental Values of Scouting E-learningIntroductionPurpose principles and methodsReligious policyConclusion06 Changes in Scouting Video download (30 Mb) 07 Valuing Diversity Video download (60 Mb) 12 Providing a Balanced Programme E-learningNavigationPre-module quiz OverviewThe bigger picture Zones and methods Making it happen Ideas and involvement Recognising achievement Planning a programme and checking it MentoringPost-module quiz ConclusionNetwork review update13 Growing the Movement (Section Leaders) Workbook14 Young People Today Workbook15 Challenging BehaviourWorkbook24 Managing AdultsWorkbook25 Assessing LearningAssessing learning workbookActivity assessors workbookScout show assessors workbook26 Supporting Adults Workbook27 Instructing Practical Skills Guide - coming soon 28 FacilitatingGuide29 PresentingGuide31 Planning a Learning ExperienceGuide32 Delivering a Learning ExperienceGuide33 Planning a Learning ProvisionGuideWorkbook34 Managing a Learning ProvisionGuide - coming soon WorkbookOngoing Learning - Mixed Scouting Workbook
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    SL & AGSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    Webmaster of
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk

Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    This is a great page, but I am a little diappointed that it hasn't been updated since the intriduction of the new badges last year.

Thanks
    I would hope that that it takes a little more than a few nights in front of the computer to become a scout leader!!!!!!!

NEXT we'll be having virtual meetings and virtual games!!!!

I'm all for moving scouting forward but.....................

Thanks
    I think that is a little unfair. Much of the information you gain from the training sessions are there, and you can't exactly cheat the system. You have to know the answers to be able to answer the questions at the end of some of the modules. On the others, the modules still need to be validated, and I doubt you could do it all in a few nights anyway.

So does it make any difference how I gained my knowledge? Whether it was at a training session, via the internet, or past experience? I think having the info available on the internet is a great leap in the right direction for all us full time workers with kids and a section to run!

Thanks
    It is online learning not online module validation it is just to help people learn so they can then validate modules

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Friday ESU & ABSL and Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.co.uk

Bookings Secretary - Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    is that what I should be doing now, instead of chatting on Escouts?
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple - Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavydavy View Post
    I would hope that that it takes a little more than a few nights in front of the computer to become a scout leader!!!!!!!
    As someone who frankly wasted much time getting told how to suck eggs at countless Leadership training sessions, and wasted a whole 2 weekends doing my second woodbadge getting told absolutely nothing new, I strongly support the method where:

People are evaluated and given only the training they need in modular form. Then they are validated on it.

Modern life means that many people cant give up the same time for training, and but using flexible methods it allows them to do the training and become a leader.

The videos and e-learning are one tool that its used, courses are still there, and some of the modules can only be done on courses.

NEXT we'll be having virtual meetings and virtual games!!!!

I'm all for moving scouting forward but.....................
    How about www.virtualscouts.org.uk , its an initiative of Scottish Scouting . I didnt set it up to wind you up honest

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    It is online learning not online module validation it is just to help people learn so they can then validate modules
    I figured that would be the case - being in a similar position to Richard, I have a lot of experience under my belt, and find training modules often a waste of my time, in all fairness. The ability to glance through a module at whatever time suits me, to see if there's anything I need to know before being validated is very useful!

The only question I have regarding this is how will I be validated? Training isn't exactly efficient around where I'm from, so I don't really know the procedure - will the trainer quiz me when I tell her I've read the online module?
    Ryan Gillies
    SL, 1st Giffard Park, Milton Keynes Great Ouse
    ESL (YL), Viper Unit, Milton Keynes Great Ouse

Thanks
    You'll be validated by meeting the validation requirements of the modules

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Friday ESU & ABSL and Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.co.uk

Bookings Secretary - Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Escouts Award Team Member marcus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Great idea in theory, but this involves a Training Advisor actually doing the assessment instead of just putting you through the modules as they always have.

It seems in some counties that they basically still do the old scheme, just organise it with the new module names
    Chaos, Panic, Disorder... My Work Here Is Done

Marcus Coupe

SSAGO|Western Lakes District

(Please note that these responses are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of any of the institutions to which I am linked)

Leader in Charge / SL derekchambers's Avatar
    Thanks
    that's a useful resource for helping leaders do there training and preparing them for the practical side - lets face it though doing training courses and workbooks is totally different from frontline scouting. frontline scouting can be different from group to group as well depending on the type of kids you get
    Derek Chambers,
    Scout Leader - Acting Cub leader
    ADC Scouts

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
    http://www.9thMuswellHill.co.uk

http://www.wordpressthemesandhosting.com/

Thanks
    I agree my experiences on the old training system were similar and i ended up helping the training because sometimes my experiences seemed greater..but i do online training as part of my work as well and as with scouts my concern is not the training module or the resources used to complete this (research is a good thing) but it is how it is validated, you cannot beat practical experience and in my area we seem to struggle for leader trainers/assessors

Thanks
    A small point - anybody who is module 25 (Assessing Learning) validated can assess - it does not have to be a TA.
    Our County runs open evenings where anybody can turn up and discuss training and/or be assessed. These started because there was a shortage of TAs.
    I have found that one of the problems is that there are training type things happening but they aren't being communicated - if leaders don't know that they are happening then they don't look out for them - catch 22.
    I also have to agree with several of the comments made earlier about previous training not being taken into account. If you are going through training and you think that you can validate a module without attending the training then ask to be validated. The worst that can happen is that you discover that you didn't know as much as you thought and you have to take the module. The best is that you sit down with someone for a while, have a nice chat and pick up extra info and contacts.
    Last edited by Airobat; 16-04-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    I think the site is a great idea but i can't access any of the E-learning stuff. I get the main interface page but i get no information and it won't play anything. Anyone else have this problem?
    What do you care what other people think! - Richard P. Feynman

A person needs only three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If either doesn't work, use the hammer.

http://www.sugs.co.uk

Thanks
    Any information for leaders anywhere is a good thing. Old farts like me need to keep themselves up to date and relavent or should we all be working out off Scouting for Boys.
    But please try and remember that "Book sense without common sense is usually nonsense"
    The best training module in the world are the kids. If it works they let you know and if it doesn't they let you know even quicker.
    Having over tewnty years experience as a scout leader I can tell you things that went well then don't now but some things still do and much of what is basic scouting hasn't changed much over the years.