This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Red face Nights away permit assessment while at camp

Hello all,

Anyone had the "pleasant" experience of night’s away assessment while at camp & what can I expect?

I am "helping out" for the second time on a cub camp this weekend. I was with the group on a district camp last year. I have shiny new wood beads that I got at the start of the year, done the night’s away course (last year), read the rather large but very helpful "nights away" folder. Also lucky to have a really experienced team around me to "show me the ropes".

Having had a good part in the team (with planning process, program & menu creation and pre-site visit, equipment prep etc) I am still a little nervous as been assessed for a night’s away permit at camp

Thanks
    dont worry, take everything in your stride, and use the team around you!
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple - Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    just run the camp... if you're doing it right... sorted. if you're doing it wrong.... you'll get tips for the future. We used to be inspected every camp (well... ish).

It's a shame that has gone, poor camping techniques picked up at least one mentalist and had him thrown out. (cf. dunblane massacre report)

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Just do it and remember, it's the kids who matter!

I lament the passing of the day that, if you camped on somebody else's patch, the local DCs inspection was a foregone expectation - in fact, we are camping in Yorkshire in the summer and I have specificically invited the local DC to come whenever she wishes (and if she doesn't turn up for at least our BBQ and campfire on the last night, I will be most disappointed!). It's the same sort of idea - just get on with it and give the kids a good time. - You'll be fine!

Thanks
    Having been on the other side of the fence, and done quite a number of NA assessments, I've always tried to make it a positive experience. The NA scheme is meant to be an enabler, so allowing you to dothings that you are capable of and not restricting any further than you need to be.

On an assessment I'd expect the camp to be well run, with the right people in the leader team to ensure that everything goes smoothly. You don't need to know everything, or do everything, you're merely a manager that ensures that it all gets done on time, safely, and in a pleasant and enjoyable manner.

Don't worry about making mistakes, we've all done that and learnt from it.

and as for the days when we had DC visits, they were a waste of time. In the years I went to camp we only ever had 1 visit. All the other times the DC either didn't bother or couldn't find the field we were in. The old scheme meant that if a problem was found during the inspection then it was too late, the camp had already happened. At least now everyone gets proper training and assessment before they go.

Adrian

Thanks
    When I was originally "done" it composed of the assessor turning up at some point during the camp, having a look around, chatting for a while, filling in his report and then moving on to the next inspection.

Only tip -offer them a cup of tea when they arrive.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    if you need to be reminded of the importance of tea, you do not deserve a permit

Thanks
    At the last count we only have two people in our district who have their nights away permits. Me and the Explorer Scout Leader. Due to district "Politics" our nights away adviser has resigned. Our DC is also stepping down next month. We don't have an ADC Scouts either. Depending on who the new DC is I was going to Volunteer for the ADC and Nights Away Adviser, can you do both?

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    There's no reason why you can't be an ADC and a NA adviser, lots of people are. They are both DC appointments though so it'll be up to the new DC.

Adrian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    At the last count we only have two people in our district who have their nights away permits. Me and the Explorer Scout Leader. Due to district "Politics" our nights away adviser has resigned. Our DC is also stepping down next month. We don't have an ADC Scouts either. Depending on who the new DC is I was going to Volunteer for the ADC and Nights Away Adviser, can you do both?
    only 2??!

have you looked at minimum standards for scouting recently?

I'd suggest that you must have a load of sections that must be closed

Thanks
    On our last district weekend camp our Group had more campers than the rest of the district put together. We had me, GSL, CSL, couple of ACSL's, BSL, ABSL and a few parents + a load of Cubs and Scouts

Stop Press, sorry 3 NA Permits in district

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    On our last district weekend camp our Group had more campers than the rest of the district put together.
    On that line our district cub camp is only being supported by 3 packs out of about 12, which will mean that our own cub camp that weekend with 41 kids will probably be twice the size of the district camp.

Yes, I know we should be supporting it, but if we did we'd end up picking up the pieces of the mess it always end up being and for once the cub leaders have decided to do their own thing.

Adrian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    only 2??!

have you looked at minimum standards for scouting recently?

I'd suggest that you must have a load of sections that must be closed
    Is their a requirement for NA permits per campers

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Thanks
    Is their a requirement for NA permits per campers
    No, but there's a requirement that sections should run nights away event.

From POR:

The minimum standard for a Cub Scout Pack is:

Operation overseen by a Warranted Leader (Rule 3.8c)

Two adults present (Rule 3.8d)

The delivery of an appropriate Balanced Programme (Rule 3.8j)

The opportunity for each Cub Scout to attend a nights away experience every year (Rule 3.8k)

If a Pack fails to reach the minimum standard for 2 consecutive years, the District Commissioner, with the approval of the District Executive Committee, may close it. If it fails to reach the minimum standard for 3 consecutive years, it must be closed.

The same is there for Scouts. Most people choose to ignore that bit of POR when it's convenient to them. It's a shame, the kids would get a much better scouting experience if they went away as part of their programme.

Adrian
    Last edited by AdrianP; 21-05-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Revised quotes

Thanks
    If I remember from my assessment correctly - I emailed the NA advisor before the camp with copies of all my paperwork including some risk assessments... He was so pleased I'd done this it seemed to put him in a positive frame of mind before the inspection - Although there were a couple of things that he pointed out could be done better on the day - it was all constructive... In fact I think his biggest moan was that our Cubs hadn't managed to erect their tents in an exactly straight line! If that's all he had to worry about - it can't be bad!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast