This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Youth Edition of the Scouting Mag (Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

18 28.13%
  • Good

16 25.00%
  • Average

14 21.88%
  • Could be better

16 25.00%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    I still haven't seen my copy yet.
    I don't read mags on line.
    It's a mighty fine (if contraversial) effort, Don. The YP have quite clearly put heart and soul into it - even if we don't all appreciate the layout and some of the content (or lack of it), we can only admire what they have achieved.

Thanks
    A few more bits and pieces…

Young Leaders:
    I’m afraid I don’t yet receive the magazine as a Young Leader (although this will soon be the case, as Young Leaders begin to have similar benefits to adult Leaders; to offer them more support, and hopefully encourage them to stay on). Our copies (as editors) have been sent from Gilwell today, but I usually read my dad’s issue.

Comfort zones (regarding topics):
    Obviously there are hundreds of controversial topics affecting young people. A couple of others that I think are important range from immigration (where close friends at school get deported), mental health issues (as around one in four suffer from these), and perhaps a closer focus on disability awareness. However, the topics chosen were broader, and likely to affect the majority, if not all, of the young people in Scouting.

Short articles:
    This is not intended as an excuse, but I can offer the reasoning behind it. Take for example, ‘A Relevant Movement’, it is made up of sections on Marching, Badges, Uniform, St George’s Day, and others. Each of these topics could have been a 4-5 page article, but due to the restraints of an 84 page magazine, it was decided to culminate all into one. ‘Welcome to Our World’ is another example of this, where you could write books on each issue discussed. Hopefully we achieved an overview?

My Scouting vision:
    (without sounding awfully cheesy)
    Reading back through this topic, there’s a lot of ‘you’ and ‘us’ from both sides! As focused on in the magazine itself, children speaking to adults and adults speaking to children can often pose problems (I see teachers at school who have no idea how to communicate with certain year groups, for example). Any of these problems can be overcome, and I would like to think that there is no real generation-gap! In bridging the ‘gap’, we’re all part of the same team? In this issue, we communicated to Leaders some of our thoughts, but what is equally important in my eyes, is that Leaders communicate their expertise and experience to young people, as the Leaders of the future. Communication in Scouting needs to be a two-way thing! As a whole movement, I think we’re nearly there!

Don’t think I’ve missed any of the major questions that are still unanswered, but I’ll keep checking back!

Thanks
    Only one of my team has their copy yet.

Still not got mine

Don Tregartha
    Group Chair and Webmaster
    1st Wing Scouts

Check out our responsive Joomla web site www.wingscouts.co.uk one site fits all...

Thanks
    I've had a good look through the magazine, and I would comment that:

I liked most of the new layout. One or two things go against my journalistic background and training as bad style, but overall, I liked 90% of the layout - it was fun and vibrant and reflected the authors, if not the audience.

Id love to see each section take over the mag once in a while, because it was very explorer/scout centric, with the other two sections not really getting the same proportion of information. But I did notice lots of cute Beavers illustrating the articles.... Hey, a Beaver Mag could include free glitter

That said, it has inspired me to start researching an article myself.

I think the overall message that came across is that the older scouts dont think we understand them. Maybe they are right, and as such, I think the whole teenaged angst thing actually works on one level...i hear the voices screaming in the wilderness. However, on the other level, it shows that the communication gap goes both ways...do you not think that we leaders were
    confronted with drugs and peer pressure and all the rest? We still remember ...we were teenagers once too, and many of us have our own teens to tell us every day that we just dont get it.

But I think this is part of the charm - it reopens the debate, it allows us all to communicate better with our young people, to gain some insight into the fact theat their anxiety is very very similar to what we felt at their age. A timely reminder - their wants and fears and needs and concerns are not so different to ours.

I find it quite reassuring. I think we are harvesting a damn fine crop of young people, who are self aware and smart and funny and quirky. Exactly what I want to see
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    I've had a good look through the magazine, and I would comment that:
    I noticed a snippet from a Beaver Scout from my very own district! Well done them!

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorers Scout Commissioner

5-7th September 2014 - for all Explorers and Network
    Discos, fancy dress, karaoke, games, camp fire, stuff, and all day Saturday at Thorpe Park
    http://www.summitnetwork.org.uk/tpc
    http://www.facebook.com/themeparkcamp
    http://www.twitter.com/themeparkcamp

Thanks
    I must say, I think it is a major triumph of design over substance. I am not a teenager (ha!), but I liked the design - it was fresh and showed the fun side of Scouting, which is what we are all about. But it did make some articles difficult to read, e.g. p39 or p10/11 has so much "stuff" on the page I couldn't concentrate on the actual argument!

However, credit has to go to the 9 young people who obviously put an incredible amount of effort into producing a magazine. And they volunteered their time... so if we are critical of it being the same as all the other Scouting Magazines lately, why are we paying the Scouting team wages??!!!!!

Bob

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    I have just discovered that the whole magazine is not online.
    I was going to email the link to JAD's quiz to friends who don't have Scouting magazine, but have discovered that it is not in the online version. Now will have to scan it and email it that way. I am sure that in the past JAD has been in the online version.

Thanks
    Reading back through this topic, there’s a lot of ‘you’ and ‘us’ from both sides!
    Ho yes. Really got on my wick. There was a general theme of the old "We are young and you are old. We like marge and you like butter type of message.

I speak to my Scouts and Explorers as I would to almost any other person. I don't try to be their age, but I hopefully try to empathise with them and I can laugh with them and joke with them and we share experiences.

When I talk about Scouting with them I talk about us, about we, not you or I.

I ask, what do WE want to do next. Not what do YOU want to do next. When I'm giving a general row it is about OUR behaviour, not THEIR behaviour.

Quite frankly, if my Scouts had written so publicly in this manner I would have given serious consideration to resigning. Of course, I am well aware that the printed word does not always come across as intended, especially in today's soundbite world. Nonetheless, we should be bridging the divide, not defining it.

Perhaps its just me.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk
    www.whitleybeaumont.co.uk

Thanks
    This is getting very annoying.

Everyone seems to have their copy except us chickens in Wing.

Perhaps the postie is holding them back as revenge for the Scout's Christmas Post.

In desperation I was going to follow the link but that this seems to have been taken out of the thread.

Someone PM it if it's out for copyright reasons.

(Or is this a conspiracy to shut me up!!)

Don Tregartha
    Group Chair and Webmaster
    1st Wing Scouts

Check out our responsive Joomla web site www.wingscouts.co.uk one site fits all...

Thanks
    oh... and here's something that struck me about your article about using social sites... i still see LOL as 'lots of love' as well as 'Laugh out Loud', indeed... the SA FS on t'internet etc remids leaders to be careful using LOL as it can mean both!

Thanks
    Thanks again for your thoughts!

It’s been nice to hear a complete spectrum of comments over the past few days. I’ve been given lots to feel proud of, and lots to think about! Also interesting comparing opinions from Explorers (who have read their parents) and say that they are really proud of what we managed to put across, and opinions from Leaders, who have told me that despite hardly ever reading Scouting magazine, they read this issue from cover to cover!

Section Balance (in content):
    tomahawk, flipping back through the articles, I agree that there is a strong tendency towards the older sections. Considering that the younger sections do have the highest membership, I understand that the magazine does need to be more balanced in its focus of articles. In this issue, we were able to put across our perspective on the world, and we did try to explore what the younger sections felt over certain areas too. I will pass on your feedback. Thank you!

In addition, as you said, the ‘wants and needs and fears and concerns are not so different’. Again, it looks as if there really is no generation gap, and we definitely all have common ground. How can adults in general (not just Leaders) talk with young people to lessen the problems they face?

Regional Spread:
    A few have mentioned that they have spotted Beavers from their Districts! One of the pointers offered a few months back was to make sure there was a spread of stories from across the country. Did we achieve this? Obviously we were restrained to some extent, as our travel is limited, and a few of us are from the London area. However, some of the editors are from further a field.

Us/Our/We/You:
    Bushfella, I agree with your points, and the attitude that we all take as part of a Scouting family, should most defiantly be of respect. None of the articles were intended to cause any offence, and definitely not to any of our leaders. I apologise if this appeared to be the case. When interviewing some Scouts for example, I was focused on looking to the future. Whilst it is always important to review and evaluate the things we do, I think the features of the magazine were mainly looking in a forward direction. Therefore they were not criticising the way in which things have been done, but exploring how they could be done differently. Hopefully this came across as looking forward in a positive light?

Social networking:
    big chris, this is one that can cause some controversy yes. I have found the fact sheet to be very clear, although I understand that Leaders will have concerns. For the Explorer section, we were looking at the most effective ways of communication, that suit the Explorers. The ideas put forward in the magazine put this into more detail; but essentially facebook/texting/msn can be very useful for organising things within a Unit. This is not just from personal experience, but from many Units across my County who use varying methods of communication to suit their needs (and from further a field too).

Having helped to run the communicators badge for Scouts at our District’s winter camp last weekend, I was running a base on internet safety for the Scouts. If used according to the Scout Association’s guidelines, it is obviously a very useful tool! (Escouts will obviously have to comply with internet safety aspects, but I’m sure we’d all agree it’s a fantastic resource to have!!!).

Besides, SDSEWBA!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    .........Besides, SDSEWBA!

Thanks!

I can't believe I had to google that!
    Peter

CSL - 2nd Bracknell - Scouting for North & East Bracknell - www.2ndbracknell.co.uk

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post

Having helped to run the communicators badge for Scouts at our District’s winter camp last weekend, I was running a base on internet safety for the Scouts. If used according to the Scout Association’s guidelines, it is obviously a very useful tool! (Escouts will obviously have to comply with internet safety aspects, but I’m sure we’d all agree it’s a fantastic resource to have!!!).

Besides, SDSEWBA!

Thanks!
    Escouts is not officially connected in any way to the SA apart from the fact the most forum members are in some way connected to Scouting. Saying that we do endeavour to keep roughly within the guide lines as much as a public forum can do.
    all in all it is just another brick in the wall

Thanks
    Dave, sorry, I guess I was commenting on something I don't really know about! Yeah, a lot of the internet awareness is etiquette, to minimise mis-understandings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    This is getting very annoying.

Everyone seems to have their copy except us chickens in Wing.

Perhaps the postie is holding them back as revenge for the Scout's Christmas Post.

In desperation I was going to follow the link but that this seems to have been taken out of the thread.

Someone PM it if it's out for copyright reasons.

(Or is this a conspiracy to shut me up!!)
    Me too. My wife has hers but I am obviously not allowed one!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast