This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Closed
    Thanks

Burns Night Programme - Help......

I am going to do a Burns Night themed evening with my Scouts (in deepest Sussex!). As many of you will have gleened from my posts, my ancestry comes from 'North of the Border'. The main feature of the evening is that I am going to get my Scouts to cook Haggis, Neeps & Tatties (so cooking is the main part of the evening). - Proper haggis, of course, from a tame butcher in Inverness, not that horrid supermarket plastic-packed stuff! Needless to say I'll wear my kilt and perform the necessary with my sgian dubh on the haggis!

I have a vast repertoire of 'Trad' Scottish songs but ....... what else can you all suggest for our evening? (A touch of my ancestral home for me but an 'International Evening' for them!) Scottish games and Scottish Scouting Themes welcome! Dare we Strip the Willow or dance The Gay Gordons?.... over to you.

Slainte Mhath!
    Last edited by Dramatist; 07-01-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks
    We do the haggis and neeps. We talk about Burns, who he was, and we play a few games and in between games we played a Burns tune or two.

For Explorers we ran through A Man's a Man. (To deal with those who showed the usual lack of interest I gave them Gin a Body... and then the Merry Muses version as a contrast. Amazing how their interest in poetry perked up on the latter!)

The music we used, and I know that trendy modern Scots will cringe, but I don't care, was Corries renditions and a couple by Dick Gaughan from Five Hand Reel era.

The reason? Well partly because they were the ones I had handy, but also because they are less sanitised and jauntier than some of the more "proper" versions.

I half expected bored faces and a lack of interest but they were stamping their feet and clapping and even singing the choruses unprompted.

In the past we did the Dashing White Sergeant and the Gay Gordons and I have to say it was a bit of a struggle with the latter, I think I'll call it something else next time to prevent the sniggering and smut.

Since this year is the 250th anniverary of the bard's birth we will have to make something more of it this time.

I'm struggling with Beavers and Cubs, maybe I'll try "To A Mouse", with Scouts I might try "The Sherrifmuir Fight" - and I'll try getting them singing Killiekrankie - both of which will require a short history lesson, I suspect.

Explorers - we'll, I think this year in line with the sex and relationships element of the programme we'll look at a couple of love songs - The easiest to access is My Love is like a Red Red Rose, but there are plenty of others to choose from.

I'd love to cover Tam o' Shanter but its way too long and perhaps needs translation more than some.

Love to hear others' ideas.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    for Beavers....

Make Tartan pattern ....
    crepe paper on wet paper in strips....take the crepe off, it stains the paper behind.

Highland games...

Base 1: Toss the caber (length of card tube from inside a carpet - cut down to approx .8m
    Base 2: Hammer Throw (pillow tied to string)
    Base 3: Catch the haggis (beanbags)
    Base 4: Piper Jigsaw (large jigsaw of a piper, kid have to make it as a group)

Followed by a very simple "Scottish" dance to the tune of "donald wheres your trousers"

Oh how much fun do we have (my ABSL is a Scot )
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Followed by a very simple "Scottish" dance to the tune of "donald wheres your trousers"
    AARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Don Tregartha
    Group Chair and Webmaster
    1st Wing Scouts

Check out our responsive Joomla web site www.wingscouts.co.uk one site fits all...

Thanks
    As part of the Scottish Governments Home Coming 2009, (You will be coming home I hope Jonathan) which starts on Burn's Night, there is an interactive Burns website http://www.scotland.org/burns-night/interactive/ .

You could always ask your local chip shop to do some deep fried battered Mars Bars or deep fried Pizza and round it off with Irn Bru (Scotland's other national drink as Barrs call it)

There is a Scottish Quiz here http://www.paulsquiz.com/free_quiz_q...ottish_Quiz_2/

N
    Neil Rowland
    AGSL & SL 12th West Lothian (Knightsridge) Scouts

www.12thwestlothianscouts.org.uk

Who hath smelt wood-smoke at twilight? Who hath heard the birch log burning?
    Who is quick to read the noises of the night?
    Let him follow with the others:
    For the young men's feet are turning to the camps of proved desire and known delight!

Rudyard Kipling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    AARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH:smash
    Awwww but if you could see their little faces when they're singing the chorus...
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neilr View Post
    As part of the Scottish Governments Home Coming 2009, (You will be coming home I hope Jonathan) which starts on Burn's Night, there is an interactive Burns website http://www.scotland.org/burns-night/interactive/ .
    You could always ask your local chip shop to do some deep fried battered Mars Bars or deep fried Pizza and round it off with Irn Bru (Scotland's other national drink as Barrs call it)
    There is a Scottish Quiz here http://www.paulsquiz.com/free_quiz_q...ottish_Quiz_2/

N
    Brilliant Neil - thanks for the website! I had 'forgotten' about Deep Fried Mars Bars - or tried to! However, it's a great idea for the Scouts.
    Yes, I'll be coming home at Easter to Mallaig!

Thanks
    Thanks for the link to the Burns interactive site. I spent way too long on it and the Homecoming pages.

Sorry to be a pedant guys, but whilst a Burns night is meant to be fun what I'm seeing are a few Scottish related ideas that do not quite slot in with Burns. For example...

I'm pretty sure that Burns as a lowlander was not a wearer of the tartan, nor indeed would he have been for it was proscribed for the whole of his life. He would never legally have worn nor met with anyone wearing tartan.

(I'll grant that much of the modern Burns celebration ceremony includes tartan,highland dress and the bagpipes - all of which were banned in his lifetime)

Burns played the fiddle, (violin) and maybe thre is an opportunity to ask a local violin player to come in and play some jaunty tunes - Rattlin Roarin Wullie, Highland Harry, Rantin Rovin Robin and others.

Perhaps from his life there would be the opportunity to play a wide game, Smugglers and Customs, with the Smugglers trying to get their contraband past the Customs men.

A word game - make up a word square with the hidden words being in Lallans Scots. I'm sure that someone here could help.

A reading of one of the simpler poems, "To a Mouse" is fairly easy for youngsters to understand.

Burns, was about living, fun and friends and the brotherhood of man, surely we can work that into our programmes somehow?

Surely we can introduce our members to the still valid works of the most widely recognised Scot ever (Sean Connery excepted!)?

And Cambeltown Loch, Donald Where's Your Troosers, and all the rest of the Lauderesque stuff has its place but maybe some other time, St Andrews night perhaps?

I know, I'm being too serious, but I think that we are often too frivolous about our heritage and thus dilute it and lose it.

(There was an article on Morris Dancing on Look North last night, and there were way too many smart assed comments from the presenters about it. What would they rather, a nation of dullards who ignored their heritage and did nothing? - I don't Morris Dance, but I'll not knock people for doing something rather than nothing).
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I know, I'm being too serious, but I think that we are often too frivolous about our heritage and thus dilute it and lose it.

(There was an article on Morris Dancing on Look North last night, and there were way too many smart assed comments from the presenters about it. What would they rather, a nation of dullards who ignored their heritage and did nothing? - I don't Morris Dance, but I'll not knock people for doing something rather than nothing).
    A bit off thread but relevant to Bushfella's comment about losing our heritage. Here are our Beavers and Cubs having a go at Border Morris Dancing and a link to the Powderkegs website. This is the second time they have visited our Group for the evening and both nights were fantastic. The kids all thought it was brilliant (and it was fantastic exercise - cos it's really very physical!)

http://www.gmescouts.org.uk/news/200...owderkegs.aspx

http://www.powderkegs.co.uk/

Thanks
    we have done morris dancing - you are right, you have to be fit to do it!!
    We even had bells some of roughtie toughtie boys were unimpressed, but they tried their best!

As for Burns night, I am planning a fun and friends night on a scottish theme! Whether its tartan and pipes and games etc, or ode to a mouse, its something all our soft southerners can enjoy and understand. They do the whole ode to a mouse stuff in seriousness at school - at Beavers, we are there to have fun. And our hut is so cold, if they are not haring around having fun, they will freeze (all our pipes have burts this week, and the toilet cisterns were frozen too...our hut is in dire need of a rebuild.) If they sit and listen to poetry too long, they will have hypothermia!

But never fear...our scottish dancing may not be to an authentic tune, but the steps are authentic, as taught by a scottish dancing teacher
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    I rather like Haggis neeps and tatties but I havent had any in a while
    Alf

Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    NAA Western Lakes District
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    You have to tell them the story of the Haggis as well (2 long legs, 2 short legs etc.) and don't forget Iron Bru.

Also talk to them about all the Scottish inventions, there is a good poster/tea-towel, if I find a copy online I'll post the link.

Strip the Willow is a good one, or Dashing White Sergeant if you want to get them tied up in knots.

Also you could get them to try dressing up in a traditional kilt: about 4-6 m of uncut material (even just plain cotton) and a belt is all you need. Then you could explain why Burns would not have worn a kilt and dispel the Myth of clan Tartans (a Victorian invention).

Sounds good - we're going St Patrick's this year, I'll have to remember all this stuff for next year

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn-Cubs View Post
    You have to tell them the story of the Haggis as well (2 long legs, 2 short legs etc.) and don't forget Iron Bru.
    AHA... the clockwise and anti clockwise haggis...

i can get some scouts to beleive that no bother

Thanks
    Search around for a local bagpiper, maybe a parent.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Search around for a local bagpiper, maybe a parent.
    You're kidding, Keith! Have you ever heard the pipes played indoors in a low-roofed hall? It knocks most rock-concerts into a cocked hat volume-wise!

My dad was a fine Scotsman who taught me that the mark of a true Scottish Gentleman is 'someone who can play the bagpipes - but, out of respect for the sanity and hearing of others, doesn't'!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast