PDA

View Full Version : 20th Torbay Scout Group

mattw
06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, i've just got our new website into a usable state and will be launching it to the masses in the very near future. At the moment its only really got Explorer Scout stuff on it, mainly cos the Scouts have given us nothing to put on it and our Network isnt up and running yet, but this will change.

Please take a look at it at http://www.20thtorbay.co.uk/main/index.php and send any and all feedback (the more i get the better :D ) to [email protected] or post here so that it can be improved. Also feel free to signup for an account if you like, everybody is welcome.

Matt :)

ps im not a cheating gypsy so this site is completely original and not some manufactured postnuke jobby, so please go easy on me, i know its buggy. However as all (well nearly all) the scripts are original then im willing to give them to anybody here who wants them, just ask.

Bloory
06-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Like it :thumb

If only I had time to code my own system :)

Where did you learn? I bought the sitepoint bok and have loads of ideas...

mattw
06-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Glad you like it Jon,

I dont actually know much PHP, and have just used a few internet tutorials and looked at other peoples scripts to get the feel for it. Nothing on there is really that complicated, and it has taken ages to get everything to where it is now. It has also helped that PHP is pretty close syntax wise to C++, which is what my Dad works on every day so his help has been critical when anything more than the most basic stuff is required!

If only I had time to code my own system

Thats the problem, my site is nowhere near finished, yet has taken almost a year from when the first drawings (yes actual drawings!) were done up - sometimes you sit down for hours and appear to achieve nothing, which is depressing!

marcus
07-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Looks very good (and I can see the amount of time that has been put into it :-D ) Would like to code some PHP but like everyone les I haven't got the time (and Dreamweaver is very temptingto use)

Very well done, and I hope you manage to finish soon

mattw
07-04-2003, 12:56 PM
(and Dreamweaver is very temptingto use)

yep, i used dreamweaver mx to produce everything. Its great for getting a good layout relatively quickly without mucky HTML, but it doesn't integrate very well with scripts IMO, although this is possibly cos im not using it right!

Graham
07-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Wherev did you get the system status page from?

mattw
07-04-2003, 05:07 PM
im pretty sure that Jon provided the script, i can email it to you if you like, although that one only works on server if i remember rightly

Bloory
07-04-2003, 05:11 PM
I think it's from www.evilwalrus.com (sceript 500 if that helps). The reason it only works locally is that it pings the main server IP. If you were to ping the IP of this site or the support.escouts.org.uk (don't have them to hand, sorry) that would work.

HTH

Graham
07-04-2003, 06:22 PM
OK Thanks thats useful, unfortunately the site is down at the moment.