PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout?

Magician
21-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout or would you rather of had someone else?

DonTregartha
21-05-2009, 07:49 AM
I voted don't know.

I've only seen one of his shows and found it a bit too heavy reality show format for me.

But having seen, heard and read the interviews and the off the cuff stuff he says, he really does seem the real deal in a way that PD bless him couldn't given his background.

He's right in the 'zone' for an adult leader and has tremendous natural enthusiasm.

I'd give him an SL or ESL role in my group if he showed up at ours.

I hope he doesn't get bogged down with the great and good of the movement. He is like the young SL/ESL he needs to be out doing it with the scouts.

The nonsense about did he do it for real (5 star hotels) is a red herring. Naivety at worst in letting some production tart script up the danger when they were obviously not doing it.

Never believe anything on the telly!

So high hopes and maybe my vote will change.

Dramatist
21-05-2009, 08:18 AM
My feelings are exactly the same as Don's on this one.

Certainly, if Bear had wandered into my Scout hut one day, he wouldn't have been allowed to leave without an AA form and a CRB form clutched firmly in his paw! I admit that in the past on :escouts: I have described him variously as 'a bit of a headbanger' and 'Steve Irwin on Speed' but having now seen him talking carefully and calmly on television with a neckerchief around his neck rather than a python, I am sure that if I met him socially, I would get on with him.

One thing that really encourages me is the reaction of my Scouts to the appointment. Rather than 'Peter Duncan - Peter who?' which was their view of our present CS (sorry Peter, it was my generation and those just a bit younger who remember 'Duncan Dares' and 'Blue Peter'), the reaction was 'Wow!' 'Cool' and 'Now everyone will want to join!' The other leaders were somewhat more restrained, welcoming Wayne's appointment wholeheartedly and holding fire on Bear.

One mum, reading the email I sent just after the announcement at midnight, emailed me back and accused me of having spent the night on the cheap red plonk or having had a touch too much sun over the weekend! She sent a further embarrassed apology the next morning after watching 'Breakfast' and discovering that it was true and not the deranged imaginings of her daughter's Scout Leader!

Like Don then, I wait in hope and will see in time.;)

Kastor
21-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes I think he was a good choice. At least my Explorers had heard of him.

Whether he was the best choice I'll never know as I don't know who the other serious contenders were. I assume those who did know picked the best of the bunch in their opinion.

There was a burst of interest in the press at the time but it all seems to have gone quiet now. The truth of how good he is for us will be how much he can keep us in the public eye over the next few years.

I'm much more interested in how Wayne gets on. I get the impression that the Chief Commissioner role is much more like the old Chief Scout position - a Scouter's Chief Scout, whereas Bear is the Media's Chief Scout.

I tend to liken this to the Queen, the PM and the Chancellor. The Queen is the public head of state, the PM the day to day head of state and the Chancellor holds the purse strings. We have Bear, Wayne and Derek Twine in similar positions.

We live in interesting times......

fmolesey
21-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I really want him to visit my Scout Group!

ASLChris
21-05-2009, 08:43 AM
There was a burst of interest in the press at the time but it all seems to have gone quiet now. The truth of how good he is for us will be how much he can keep us in the public eye over the next few years.

We're never going to get constant media coverage! I think that more important than Bear being in the media for us is how he can change the perception of Scouting to what it really is, rather than the outdated version currently existing in the minds of most journalists and members of the general public.

21-05-2009, 08:56 AM
I've also voted "don't know" as I think that from what I've seen this week he has been brilliant, but what I've seen in the past I wasn't sure.
If he can keep up with the enthusiasm and remember not to create (or be involved in any more) controversy then I think he will be fine. Just because he didn't say he was specifically doing something, that is different to saying he is specifically NOT doing something. For example, on Steve Wright on Tuesday he was asked "aren't you the youngest person to have climbed Everest", of which a great answer (and an impressive claim) would have been "at the time I was the youngest Brit". Instead he didn't answer and talked about something else. I'm sure it was an oversight and I REALLY want him to do well , because as I've said, his enthusiam needs to be bottled and supplied to many groups and leaders I know. What I don't want is for him to give his critics the opportunity or ammunition to have a go at him
In addition, he does have a tendency in his shows to be fighting nature (which is what survival is) rather than trying to be a little more harmonious with it (which is what we try and teach the YP) then i think that would help.

Richard
21-05-2009, 09:32 AM
What I really noticed in his interviews were the fact that, he was very enthusiastic about Scouting and that he was doing current things, he's know worldwide.

Much of the critisimn levelled at Peter Duncan surrounded the lack of authority for Scouters, this partnership means that specific void has been filled.

I said yes

Chris Lambert
21-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I was initially unsure but having seen his enthusiasm and realistic approach in interviews this week I think he'll be really good.

FlyingFox
21-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I answered yes. Although I don't like his programmes (bug eating is not for me) he came across, like others have said, as really keen on Scouting.:thup:

Not sure how many of my Beavers will know who he is, I will find out tonight, but they were impressed a couple of weeks ago that the 'Hamster' was a Cub and Scout. :D

When I explained to my own son who Bear Grylls was, and what he does, he asked if it meant we would be trying bugs at Beavers....:rolleyes:

weefatbob
21-05-2009, 11:14 AM
What I really noticed in his interviews were the fact that, he was very enthusiastic about Scouting and that he was doing current things, he's know worldwide.

Much of the critisimn levelled at Peter Duncan surrounded the lack of authority for Scouters, this partnership means that specific void has been filled.

I said yes

I think this is right, although I suspect that even without Wayne or the appointment of a UK Chief Commissioner, Bear would have more authority amongst Scouters in that he seems much more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Scouting for what it is.

Bob

jowinslade
21-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting bear when all the pre publicity was done a few weeks ago and was very impressed with how he came acroos to both the young people and leaders that were there. He was such a natural with everyone, and his enthusiasm this week in all the media he has done is great. All the young people involved thought it would be brilliant too. A great double act to come from him and Wayne in the next few years I think!

Mang
21-05-2009, 03:44 PM
A great double act to come from him and Wayne in the next few years I think!

I voted yes and feel also that this partnership can be all things to everyone. I've not heard Wayne's name before but I like what I'm hearing, and feel it's healthy that his name is getting heard above the sonic boom that is the Bear factor...and doing an Escout Q & A so soon is great too.

nele
21-05-2009, 07:35 PM
We told the scouts on Wednesday and they were all pleased as they knew his TV programmes.
There were some questions about whether they'd have to eat live grubs etc at the next camp. Wasnt in my plan, but who knows ;)

Raksha
21-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I asked the Cubs tonight if they knew the name of the person who was going to take over from Peter Duncan as Chief Scout - I got as far as Peter when the hands started to go up. 4 knew his name, and then when I asked them who had heard of him another dozen or so shot up. They seemed really happy.

Daniel
21-05-2009, 08:11 PM
After seeing and hearing some of the interviews this week, i think the next 5 years could be great in getting scouting noticed and the public image of the movement improved.

MikeJ
21-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure, as haven't seen any of his programmes. Well apart from the fish eating on youtube anyway.

Have reserved judgement for now.

Doughboy
21-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting bear when all the pre publicity was done a few weeks ago and was very impressed with how he came acroos to both the young people and leaders that were there. He was such a natural with everyone, and his enthusiasm this week in all the media he has done is great. All the young people involved thought it would be brilliant too. A great double act to come from him and Wayne in the next few years I think!

Mrs Dibley!!!! welcome to :escouts: :bigsmiley

DRM
21-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes he's a good choice, I hope that he will be promoting the "Backwoods" side of Scouting, he certainly came over very well in the media,he certainly went up in my estimation on monday! Well Done Bear:thup:

Barney255
21-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Had to say Yes based upon what I have seen this week

Having seen his enthusiasm for Scouting - if he keeps that up we are onto a major winner here!

We now have a situation where both youngsters and adults have heard about our Chief Scout and both respect him (albeit possibly for different reasons)

The interview on the Today programme was a prime example which shows that there are outdated views on Scouting. I think Bear can really make a difference in promoting an uptodate image via the media.

Barney

Watcher
22-05-2009, 10:15 AM
As I've said elsewhere I,ve not been keen on Grylls; too much of a self publicist. However I have been impressed with his first days as CS and his interviews have been impressive. If its lasts then I'll be happy to change my opinion.

22-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Asked my cubs last night if anyone could tell me whether scouting had been in the news this week. After a few mumbles suddenly someone remembered and once others knew it seemed that the consensus of opinion was that this was a good thing.

Interestingly, in the same conversation I was reminding them about our bike ride next week and said "who knows what they have to bring if they are coming with us" (expecting the "helmet" answer we've been drumming into them)
1 hand shot up. "Only 1 hand? Go on then XXXX - tell us"
"is it a bike, Akela?"
Irrelevant I know, but made me smile - maybe I'd better post this in "funny things they say and do"

Raksha
22-05-2009, 10:34 AM
love it. Makes you wonder doesn't it!!

ianw
22-05-2009, 11:33 AM
At Explorers on Wednesday night, handing out booking forms for Gilwell24, a few of the younger ones had taken them, then one of the leaders said Mr Grylls would be there, and *everyone* took a form.

On that limited evidence alone, it's a good choice!

Raksha
22-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Is it known for certain he will be there? they may be very disappointed if he isn't!

Ayers ESU
22-05-2009, 03:47 PM
There is a Facebook group for discussion at www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=77961243610

West Hull DESC
25-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I put Yes as I think he is going to be good for the media side. A younger face and someone that is a little more well known than Peter Duncan, I remember him on Blue Peter, but lots of the younger leaders don't.

After a discussion with a number of Explorers in my area they think he might interest a few new girls to the movement!!

They have already thought about inviting him to an event in our area.

Magician
25-05-2009, 12:10 PM
100 votes, No one totally against him, most for and a large band willing to judge him on what he is going to do rather than what he has done, Looking good for Bear!!

julian
25-05-2009, 04:22 PM
I hope he works out for you all... I am concerned that the scouts may look at the way Bear's programmes are edited (lack of planning & risk management in the final cut) and see this as the way to act in difficult circumstances... The end result being scouts getting hurt or worse!!! So if he is to work out for TSA then I hope you get some good material that shows propper planning.

His shows are entertaining and I'm not one for wrapping the kids in cotton wool - but I hope that you all catch the issue before it's too late.

I'm in the B-P SA so our chief is Graham Rutherford - good guy!

jshirra
25-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I am concerned that the scouts may look at the way Bear's programmes are edited (lack of planning & risk management in the final cut) and see this as the way to act in difficult circumstances... The end result being scouts getting hurt or worse!!!

Good point, but having seen some of his interviews, he has a very sensible side to him as well!!

Alfbranch
29-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Bear
In his interviews and on video with the kids impressed me far more than his programs ever will.

Bushfella
31-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm slightly concerned that kids joining because he is the CS will be disappointed to find that for the most part we don't and can't do what he does on TV.

I've always been wary of selling something that we don't have.

I once interviewed a very wealthy businessman. He had a good going business. He didn't have to work but like most of these guys he wanted more. So he took on a new product line, invested heavily in promotion and staff, got orders and the supplier went tits up. He got a ****** nose but since he had been satisfied with the response he got, he found another supplier, branded the product as he had before and came back at the market for a second bite - this time having invested a considerable sum in the project.

However, he had sold something he didn't have once, and second time around no-one would touch the product and his whole operation went down the tubes.

Scouting won't go down the tubes if we don't deliver to expectations, but it doesn't help if people join for the wrong reasons.

shiftypete
31-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I donlt think anyone with even half a brain could think that Scouts would be like being dropped in the middle of the sahara or whatever.

Chris Lambert
31-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm slightly concerned that kids joining because he is the CS will be disappointed to find that for the most part we don't and can't do what he does on TV.

From what I've seen he seems to be making a point of what we do week in, week out when interviewers want to focus on the survival/adventure aspect.

Bushfella
01-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Hang on. The new Chief Scout is someone who allegedly jumps off mountains, walks across desserts and survives in the wild - we are told that our membership applications for both adults and youth members jump as a consequence.

Which on the face of things is fantastic.

But...

If these people who are now rushing to join were so keen on Scouting and what we stand for BEFORE BG came along, why did they not join then?

If their motivation to join is the fact that BG has become the CS then we surely must wonder what is their motivation?

If they are seeking that grand adventure, that wilderness survival element, then they, largely are going to be disappointed as not only is much of what BG enacts on TV impropbable and impractical in real life in the UK - as Scouts they would generally not be permitted to do so. In 15 years of Scouting I have only come across one person who does "greenfield camping". No-one else is qualified, nor has the inclination.

My point is not the BG is a poor appointment, but rather that whilst we may be attracting more folks into Scouting, why did these people not volunteer previously? How many of them are joining with misplaced expectations?

IF they join expecting the high adventure and they get cooking on trangias at the local campsite - then the shortfall on their expectation may be more damaging than the good of the newcomers joining the movement in the short term.

If I can put this another way, if a new prospect comes along to us on a night where we are doing archery, shooting, doing axe and saw, and playing Bulldog (as we did recently), I make a point of making sure that he realises that we do not and cannot do this level of activity every week. I do not want him joining expecting that level of programme every time that he comes. I want him to come because he enjoys the company, he enjoys playing Zip Zap Boing as much as he does Campfire cooking or Shooting.

Any time we have had people come along when we have had a "high" activity meeting, they often don't stay when they find that not all meetings are at the same level (and they are not due to time, cost, supervision and practicality - and of course the odds that the more often you play Bulldog the more likely an accident becomes :-( )

CJB666
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
As an active animal lover I am appalled that every time I switch on
the t.v. especially on Channel 4 Mr. Grylls is there killing animals
or snakes without any real reason.

Recently I've seen him kill a huge python THAT WAS NO THREAT TO HIM on
his show from Ecuador - and he really looked as though he enjoyed the
experience.

And just now he was seen again needlessly killing a rattle snake in
Dakota during the Channel 4 'Born Survivor' series.

I have been a supporter of the aims and objectives of Scouting for
many years and I have always thought that the Scouts (and Guides,
Cubs, Brownies, etc.) placed an emphasis on conservation and were
mindful of the need to treat animals with respect.

So now there is a Chief Scout who not only kills animals needlessly
for t.v. shows, but who will obviously now set an example of cruelty
to animals as an accepted part of Scouting culture.

The wayward and violent youngsters of today, especially in the Western
world and the UK in particular, do NOT need his examples of animal
cruelty.

I am sure that the Animal Rights organisations will not let this
appointment go unchallenged.

With disgust.
C.J.Brady :mad:

Bushfella
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Welcome CJB,

Out of curiosity where do you do your Scouting?

Dramatist
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Googling you, mr Brady, I see that you have posted this on as many websites as possible - verbatim it seems! I like the 666 touch by the way. Now, if you'll excuse me I've got some fish to gut for our Backwoods evening!;)

PS My Scouts are neither 'Wayward' nor 'Violent'!

Tetley
01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Cut and paste can be a wonderful thing ? say it enough times with enough emotion and it will become true ? I think not.

Everybody will find something to pick at and browsing through Mr Brady's post history he seems to be a reactionary with plenty of time on his hands.:rolleyes:

Whilst I think everybody is entitled to their opinion I will object to having it thrust upon me in such a way :mad:

big chris
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM

experience.

cruelty.

With disgust.

who's that stomping over your bridge mr troll?

BBowen
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM

experience.

cruelty.

With disgust.

Food!

Kinda what keeps us alive... ;)

TRH
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
As a movement with some religous ties should we not object to someone with a user name that is linked to the Anti-Christ ?

Mang
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM

experience.

I'm puzzled, you watched Born Survivor knowing he dispatches animals and fish?

Like Bushfella, I'd be interested to know what you do in Scouting...If you are actively involved what would you do if you found a fellow leader or parent of a young person was active in say, falconry and caught Rabbits etc, or live bait Pike fishing?

Just as Scouting has been targetted by those challenging the religious stance, and our outgoing Chief was on a flagship childrens programme that has latterly been found to have been dishonest with a competition when they paraded a child as a 'winner' when they weren't...

Magician
01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
cruelty.

If you have that kind of attitude towards young people, you loose any kind of respect I may of had towards any point you where to make. I have a feeling your time on Escouts may be short lived...

Ashbourne_Akela
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Any relation to clarkson? :tong::rolleyes::D

jshirra
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
i was more thinking moley!!

i have a feeling that we will not get any more responses to this!!

ASLChris
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM

experience.

cruelty.

With disgust.

I just don't know whether to laugh or cry at this supreme example of imbecility.

Viking
01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow - Scouting at its best!:o

I support the choice of Bear Grylls as Chief, I think he will be an excellent role model to the 'wayward and violent teens' - who we should do more to attract, as Scouting could do some good work in this area.

Does Bear Grylls needlessly kill animals - I think that is up for debate. He is demonstrating survival in extreme circumstances - but does he need to, or is just for ratings?

CJB666 may be a troll - but imbecile? How about tolerating other people's views?

Richard
01-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I think its true to say we are monitoring CJB666, yes he entitled to his views, but is he from Scouting, who knows.....

shiftypete
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Does Bear Grylls needlessly kill animals - I think that is up for debate. He is demonstrating survival in extreme circumstances - but does he need to, or is just for ratings?

Does he do it just for ratings? I'd say no as he generally eats what he kills. Except vegetarians we all eat meat so I don't see the difference really

ASLChris
01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
CJB666 may be a troll - but imbecile? How about tolerating other people's views?

Because their views are internally inconsistent and lack even a semblance of rational thought.

big chris
01-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Because their views are internally inconsistent and lack even a semblance of rational thought.

don't feed the trolls

Bushfella
02-06-2009, 06:36 AM
This Troll has been fed this time.

ASL Chris, I had to smile at this ...

Originally Posted by Viking

You said...

Taken literally that puts you above everyone else ... but we know what you mean :bigsmiley

Viking
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM

That sounds like an accurate description of the Tory Party Manifesto - but what about CJB666?

TranentBagheera
07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
100% happy with the choice as he's the best person I can think for the role at this time, but we'll see how it goes when in 6 months time some air-sea rescue/mountain rescue/emergency aid group announces they have rescued a stranded cub or scout from some thick jungle or cliff edge to be greeted with the phrase 'But I'm a scout, and Bear Grylls does this too!!!' Lets face it, some parents are stupid and would assume that they can let a beaver watch his programmes thinking the scouts have sanctioned him or something as someone to copy to the letter!!! LOL!!

Matchu
08-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I've found recently found that I'm defending bear over ray as i use to think ray mears was better but now I've taken time to watch his shows and read up about him i realise that hes very good and the inter views I've listened to i think were great and hes the perfect guy for the job.

scoutastic
15-06-2009, 03:34 PM
When I asked who the new Chief Scout was one of the scouts said 'it's that man what eats snakes on telly!' and everyone else said 'Him? Cool!' One of the ASLs goes red every time she hears his named mentioned. And we've had him linked with us in a newspaper article. Not a bad reaction round here, thus far.
I'll admit it, I think Mr Grylls is "The Man".

JeanieJ
15-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Did any of you girlies see him stripping off to his pants on Born Survivor last week? Bet he doesn't do THAT at G24 even if it does rain and he gets his kit wet!! :bigsmiley

Gadgette
15-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Now that's a body I'd like to see on the P4U ad! Yum :D

Spider
16-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Ruth! :eek

I'm surprised at you. :D

*where can I see a picture? :cool:*

Mrs Chug
08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I just hope he gets out to the rest of the ranks and not just leave it to the explorers.

MikeJ
08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I just hope he gets out to the rest of the ranks and not just leave it to the explorers.

Hopefully he might be at Gilwell Reunion.

Gary1980
16-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Chuffed to bits with BG as the new CS, I met him at Gilwell 24 and the speach that he gave at G24 was supurb.

phrinabsl
23-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I've not read the whole thread yet, but Bear is the reason I am on this forum! My son loves his shows, and heard he was Chief Scout - he then began pestering to join Beavers, and here we are :)

fmolesey
23-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I've not read the whole thread yet, but Bear is the reason I am on this forum! My son loves his shows, and heard he was Chief Scout - he then began pestering to join Beavers, and here we are :)

That's great :)

Rover
23-12-2011, 10:29 PM
yes hes very good, fantastic in fact

BUT I wish he had more say/to say in setting what we do and how we act. I remember him say something about taking risk and enjoying life and not getting tied up with red tape.

I would also like to see him doing a lot more, The rumour is he signed a contact to do 12 weekends per year, maybe some can confirm or deny that?

I sometimes think I would like him running the scout side and Wayne acting in a sense to manage the buisness, whereas at the moment Wayne does all the work. and Bear is just the face.

Maybe thats the way its meant to be. but A lot of people sign up seeing bear, and hoping to get what he does, of course that not always the case.

he was a very good choice though, and having read his book have some huge respect for him

DanNixon
06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I voted 'don't know'. I can see why Scouts HQ brought him in, because he is a celeb and he is our 'advertisement' and also because scouting made him do what he does (apparently), but to be honest i don't really like him as Chief Scout, we should have someone who we feel we can email, who we can follow on twitter and then in return they will follow back, not a celeb!

Dan :)

jimjam
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
I voted 'don't know'. I can see why Scouts HQ brought him in, because he is a celeb and he is our 'advertisement' and also because scouting made him do what he does (apparently), but to be honest i don't really like him as Chief Scout, we should have someone who we feel we can email, who we can follow on twitter and then in return they will follow back, not a celeb!

Dan :)

Well I guess that's why the UKCC post was created and Wayne Bulpitt was appointed.

After Peter Duncan's term as chief scout, the role was changed so it was more about being the public face of scouting. The UKCC is resonsible for managing the volunteers. See here (http://www.scouts.org.uk/cms.php?pageid=1986&pagenotlive=1) for more info.

wilfy
06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I would love to see a real outdoorsman like ray mears. He is a legend. But bear seems far more popular with the yp. Next we will be staying in hotels on camp too lol

Posted using tapatalk, I'm not usually this brief :)

jimjam
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I would love to see a real outdoorsman like ray mears. He is a legend. But bear seems far more popular with the yp. Next we will be staying in hotels on camp too lol

Posted using tapatalk, I'm not usually this brief :)

Well the en-suite rooms in the Jack Petchy lodge and the other one (name escapes me) aren't that far away!

Mrbaldis
27-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Nice simple view, I choose yes because I think he is awesome and a good inspiration to the kids!

khoomei
27-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Nice simple view, I choose yes because I think he is awesome and a good inspiration to the kids!

......and it only took you 4 years to decide that?

Mrbaldis
27-05-2013, 11:43 AM
......and it only took you 4 years to decide that?

No i just saw this post the other day...

Walsallwizard
27-05-2013, 04:27 PM
As an active animal lover I am appalled that every time I switch on the t.v. especially on Channel 4 Mr. Grylls is there killing animals or snakes without any real reason.
Every time? I think you exaggerate.

Recently I've seen him kill a huge python THAT WAS NO THREAT TO HIM on his show from Ecuador - and he really looked as though he enjoyed the experience.
Oh dear, but bearing in mind that when Bear does these things he is dropped in without any food supplies no doubt Mr Python made a good meal

And just now he was seen again needlessly killing a rattle snake in Dakota during the Channel 4 'Born Survivor' series.
See above

I have been a supporter of the aims and objectives of Scouting for many years and I have always thought that the Scouts (and Guides, Cubs, Brownies, etc.) placed an emphasis on conservation and were mindful of the need to treat animals with respect. They do, and so does Bear.

So now there is a Chief Scout who not only kills animals needlessly for t.v. shows, but who will obviously now set an example of cruelty to animals as an accepted part of Scouting culture. Because you have decided this? Killing and eating of animals is not necessarily cruel and I have certainly taught Scouts to skin, dissect and cook animals.

The wayward and violent youngsters of today, especially in the Western world and the UK in particular, do NOT need his examples of animal cruelty. What a load of rubbish you are chucking out a massive generalisation that I do not recognise. The YP I deal with in Scouting are neither wayward nor violent.

I am sure that the Animal Rights organisations will not let this appointment go unchallenged. Get a grip the fanatics that make up the very vocal minority of Animal Rights organisations will acknowledge the fantastic work Scouting does in helping YP discover and care for their world.

With disgust.
Back at you, sorry to disagree but any extremist view needs to be challenged and basing a view of a person based on a few moments of a telly vision programme is a very worrying trend.

Good to have you on board C.J. I wonder where you do your Scouting?

Hagar_the_hairy
28-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Er that was posted 4 years ago you know - I think he's probably long gone....

Very true your points though :-) I'm about to teach my mob how to skin a rabbit for tea...

Niada
01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I've met Bear and don't like him, i found hime to be rather ignorant, and as for the things on TV the crew sets it up for him and he spends his time in a hotel. i much prefer someone like Ray Mears at least he knows how to do survival for real. i know who i'd prefer to be stuck with for survival

Tony Ransley
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
I've met Bear and don't like him, i found hime to be rather ignorant, and as for the things on TV the crew sets it up for him and he spends his time in a hotel. i much prefer someone like Ray Mears at least he knows how to do survival for real. i know who i'd prefer to be stuck with for survival

I haven't meet him but I do appreciate the time he freely gives to the movement and find it strange that this appears to have left it open to some fairly personal attacks. From my limited knowledge of filming very little of what we see on TV is what it seems, huge amounts of filming goes into making a few minutes of the actual programme and location filming is often based around hotels for logistical reasons.

khoomei
01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I've met Bear and don't like him, i found hime to be rather ignorant, .....

....and yet he speaks very highly of you.

ianw
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Welcome to :escouts: Niada. I hope you find this site useful and will continue to contribute.

Ian

silverhairedbeaver
02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Welcome to the site Niada.

Bear has never said that he sets up the things he does etc nor has he actually said it is just him when he does it. IMO he has done a lot more than the previous Chief Scout (Peter Duncan) in creating awareness of scouting and to help show we are different than most people's idea of us. That is not to say that Peter Duncan as Chief Scout didn't have it attributes and benefits it just go to show that each Chief Scout brings their own unique style to the role which is what scouting is all about - A group of like minded people doing what they like doing and being from all walks of life.

Once again welcome to :escouts:

Colin

notgonehome
02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Our scouts seem to like him.

Declan
08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't like him. He does bring in a lot of PR for the movement though. He apparently does the bare minimum that he can get away with. He has to do a minimum of 4 weekends a year visiting Scouts. The number he did last year.......

Neil Williams
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM

My understanding (might be wrong) is that Ray was asked but was unable to commit the time as he was too busy with his other activities.

Neil

GunnerNM
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I've met him, and I have mixed feelings. Hes great as inspiration for the kids and stuff, but, I dunno...

daveb123
08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't like him. He does bring in a lot of PR for the movement though. He apparently does the bare minimum that he can get away with. He has to do a minimum of 4 weekends a year visiting Scouts. The number he did last year.......

It is not the bare minimum he can get away with - it it what he agreed to do when he was asked.

If someone takes on a role having said what time they can give and it is all agreed you cannot then expect more of them.

jimjam
08-08-2013, 03:24 PM
He apparently does the bare minimum that he can get away with. He has to do a minimum of 4 weekends a year visiting Scouts. The number he did last year.......

He doesn't have to do anything! He is still a volunteer like us. You seem to imply he is bad at his role because he has only done what he committed to. When I started my role in lancaster I committed to being there every other week. For some reason, which I can't remember, I couldn't make it one week, so I've been to less pack meetings than I committed to. Am I a bad leader? Also, we should also take into account the number of scouts he meets during the bear in the air events.

I personally feel he was a very good choice. He helps us gain so much external pr and is so much more inspiring to young people than some ex army person they've never heard of.

Matt Barden
08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Good choice I think, would love to take him down the pub and really get to know Bear over a pint :)

fmolesey
08-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Interesting first posts - welcome....

Tony Ransley
08-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Could I ask both Declan and Niada what they are basing their dislike on and what they expect from a Chief Scout ?

Walsallwizard
09-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Is this the thread that just won't die?

FWIW imho Bear Grylls = great Chief Scout

scallywag
16-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Rather simple for me. Bear is attract young people to the movement, helps the movement to be cool and the YP like him .

= So keep him as CS

Alfbranch
16-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I think this thread should be locked and if we need to discuss this a new one should be started.

This thread seems to be attracting some intersting characters:confused:

banderlog
17-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Our DC has a dislike of him so he must be doing something right ;)

bigfoot0968
23-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Although we may feel that we 'know' someone because they are a well-known TV personality, having never actually met him in person I reserve judgement as to whether or not I actually like or dislike him. His status confers many positives towards Scouting as indeed it would to any such outdoor/activity based organisation and he would appear to genuinely enjoy what he does in support of Scouting.

I don't particularly enjoy his style of 'presenting' on his shows and on his latest "Escape from Hell' episode, killing a snake just for the sake of it after drinking his own pee I find gross & unwarranted sensationalism.

Putting the two of them together, I'd rather be in a survival situation with Ray Mears as I believe he has more in common with the core values of what Scouting represents; but as others have said, he could not commit the time needed to do the role justice. Similarly though, I like how BG has publicly stated that he holds great stead in his religious beliefs which I find commendable

All said, I feel that BG is a competent Chief Scout and has achieved a lot for the Scouts especially with regards to raising its public profile. This said, his exploits are very 'sensationalist' and unlikely to be anything that most Scouts could ever do. I feel that someone like Julia Bradbury, with her walking & rock climbing, would represent UK Scouting equally as well if not better due to her love of things which people are actually likely to be able to participate in

roger-uk
23-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Why do I get a sense of Dejau vu :)

bigfoot0968
23-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Why do I get a sense of Dejau vu :)

Apologies - I realise I'm new here ..... have I said something wrong ?

ianw
24-10-2013, 08:01 AM

No, you haven't. Don't worry about old grumpypants ;)

Ian

roger-uk
24-10-2013, 09:59 AM

My apologies its caused by Doing Jamboree on Internet and Air since Friday - Just post was fairly old but please forgive grumpy pants