PDA

View Full Version : ISP's

Graham
28-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Just a poll out of interest, say which ISP you use and what they are like:

Graham
28-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Right, to get the ball moving I use blueyonder 512k service. It is a good service it is fast, it enters your PC through a standard Network card from a cable modem. We haven't had any problems except for when I pressed random network settings to see what they did, I beleive that you can have the internet on a usb cnnection but that's not much goof if you have a router or you want to share it. The installation should be quick except when we had ours done we had digital tv and telephone installed and that took some time, as well as having to dig up our road. The installation charge was cheaper than freeserve, bt openworld and adsl companies. The installation charge is £50 and £75 if you need a network card (yes, they charge £25 for a network card, get one in pcworld for about £10 and install it yourself), that £50 charge includes the modem and you don't need any microfilters, so it was cheaper then not to sure if it still is.I think I better stop writing.

mattw
28-04-2003, 01:52 PM
i use freeserve but only because BT are so so so bad and only let about 6 people in the whole of devon have ADSL. Incidently we did have Bt Openworld, but again they were terrible at that as well and gave really poor speeds and reliability, as well as having a whole fleet of telephone support staff who dont speak any english.

Freeserve are a million times better, but still being on dialup is annoying.

On a different topic does anyone out there use satellite broadand, it seems its the only way we will ever get it here, it just seems a bit pricey to me.

Graham
28-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Satellite broadband is very expensive or used to be.

Ross
28-04-2003, 03:43 PM
I vote for BT. Their support is fast and easy (I have only called twice + e-mail support is within 4 hours). I am on dialup and it goes quite fast - about 49.6 kbps

They are generally good in Scotland, but I have hear in North England they are terrible.

Ross

Dave
29-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm with Tiscali (dial up) as with so many others the chance of getting Broadband is NEVER! I was with BT but the cut off time was annoying and they changed my dial up number (as they said as a high useage user) and from then on if we wanted to go online in peak hours we stood no chance and often took 1/2 hour to do so. I've been with Tiscali now for a couple of years and connect 99 times out of a hundred 1st time and the cut off isn't too bad as it instantly re-connects.

Dave

PS
Looked at Satellite and you can get one way (download via Sat. using your existing sky dish, it uses the Eutalsat Satellite and upload via dial up) but even this works out about £50 month + call charges.

PPS
Since I posted this Tiscali has not just gone down hill but went on all the way to the bottom! I recieved an e-mail from them stating that because I am a heavy user that they will at the end of the month be pulling the plug on my dial up connection. (over 140 hours a month). I thought I was paying for 24/7 aceess without metering. I have since joined Virgin Net for a couple of quid cheaper a month and no restrictions.
:321
Dave

mattw
29-04-2003, 07:12 PM
the cheapest satellite we found was less than that, but it was still a pain in that it was one way so still needed you to carry on paying the £15 or whatever it is a month for your current ISP, inflating the price. Also one way seemed to have significant drawbacks, and ideally i would like a 2-way one but they cost loads and its pretty much out of the question for me at the moment.

Oh well, i will be at Uni soon if all goes to plan so i can have a massive connection for very little money :-D

Matt
29-04-2003, 11:40 PM
I started with LineOne on 56k, then moved to their package with Quip. I then moved to BTinternet for their anytime package and am now happily on a 512k ADSL connection with Freeserve.

marcus
01-05-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm on an AOL dialup (please, it's embarrasing but I don't pay for it) and the likelyhood of getting broadband is, how long I have to nag my mother until she accepts any ISP other than AOL :o)

AOL is a stable, reasoanbly quick and easy programme, no probs there but a bit on the expensive side. By the way, what is Tiscali's 256k like anyone?

Bloory
05-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Force 9 Dialup. Rock Solid.

No chance of gettin broadband or cable :(

eastleigh
08-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Freeserve off-peak dial-up here (when I'm not using thw works Internet :rolleyes: ) - it stops me getting on the Internet during the day, otherwise I would neve get anything done!

I probably won;t be getting the broadband service until it is included with line rental. £30/month plus the line rental is just too much at the moment (unless there is an alternative?)

Mattrombone
09-05-2003, 09:14 AM
I am with AOL, BOOOOO!!!!! No broadband in my area EVER!! and aol is sooo slow and the service is bad, its so stupid sometimes it restricts its own servers and tells me that it cant connect or even that they are not a trusted source!
Matt

webmaster 1st Willingdon Scouts
www.1stwillingdonscouts.escouts.org.uk

hants
14-05-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm using BT Openworld Business 500 Engineer Installed service and it's excellent. Very impressed. BT’s service was good and the engineer was very helpful and friendly when he installed the filters. General speeds are around 60KBps so can't really complain. Unfortunately they forgot to disconnect the 2nd line as they promised to. Using a Netgear Wireless ADSL router with excellent results as well. You also get 100mb email boxes which are really useful

Although this is all slow compared to the access from my halls of residence at university - 4 meg a second apparently and it comes pretty close to that.

Broadband definitely changes your online habits!

Gareth

Please note that my Scoutbase email address is still not working after six weeks. Apparently they are sorting it out but I'm whether they do is a completely different question.

Chris
15-05-2003, 12:00 PM
I use fairadsl, they restrict p 2 p usage but other than that there quite good

here's there address

www.fairadsl.co.uk

they charge £19 a month for adsl, not bad

harrogate20thscouts
17-05-2003, 04:26 PM
I thought I would join in, in your poll. Well, I use NTL. It use to be free, but sadly now is not. It costs £10/month (I think), for dial up during non-peak hours. I think this is reasonble, and is a lot betetr than BT espescially if you have NTL TV and telephone, plus there's the option of broadband, which as far as i've seen is reasonable too.

P.S
Visit my website, address below.

bandmaster
17-06-2003, 10:49 PM
I use BT Openworld. Where I live the bloke who owns the road won't allow NTL to dig it up to lay their cables - so we can't have TV from them either. A friend who lives 2 miles away used to have Freeserve but often found that it was so busy he couldn't get a connection. I have used freeserve to remotely access/edit/ftp some webpages that another friend created in the free webspace he got from them. It was slower than BT.