PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the FREE Scouting Magazine

Richard
01-10-2004, 07:34 PM
The Scout Association is now sending out a FREE Scouting Magazine to Adult Members, what do you think of it?

shiftypete
02-10-2004, 12:12 PM
I would have preferred that they save the money and reduced the membership fees and if people wanted one then they could have bought one as in the past. I don't see why we should use money from membership fees in this way when there is alot better uses it could be put to.

Dave
04-10-2004, 05:35 PM
A bit like the old one in miniature! It does say in the editorial that it isn't the complete magazine that we will be getting. I'll stay my judgement until after a few issues (as for content). I think it is good that every Scouter will be getting a copy. One gripe that I and many others have had is the lack of communication within Scouting. Maybe this is a small step towards remedying this.

Dave

WideMonk
07-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I tend to agree with shiftypete. My wife and I both got a copy... two seperate packages when surely 1 per address should suffice.

I like the idea its free but a more cost effective method could be acheived.
• Only post it to addresses that want it, like "write, phone or email us if you want a copy posting to your home address.. it'll still be free".
• A .PDF download on ScoutBase (or even on Escouts) perhaps ??

Because this was the cut-down version, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt so I also agree with Dave, I'll save my REAL opinion until after a few issues.

Craig
07-10-2004, 01:04 PM
There are PDF versions of it on the Corporate Website (when that works i hasten to add), thats how i read it now, seeming the GSL can't buy it for each section in the group anymore, thats my way of reading it.

WideMonk
07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
I am a GSL and I've not been informed it's there.

In which case, all they need to do is advise everyone through the normal communication channels that its already a .PDF and for those that dont have www, set up the mailshot database.

Is there something I'm missing or is it actually more complicated than that ??

Craig
07-10-2004, 02:29 PM
i was referring to my group when i said GSL.

If you check the corporate website when it works it quite clearly states its there.

The corporate site and membership database hasn't been setup for no reason.

shiftypete
08-10-2004, 09:34 PM
The corporate site and membership database hasn't been setup for no reason. Are you sure about that ;)

Craig
08-10-2004, 09:58 PM
indeed i am :)

MikeGH
09-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Scout Magazine is online at http://www.scouts.org.uk/wps/portal/.cmd/ad/.ps/X/.c/201/.ce/6010/.p/5510#6010

According to the homepage:

Service now restored

A full service has now been restored to www.scouts.org.uk We apologise for the inconvenience caused while the site was offline. The problem was caused by an application error on the software we are using to provide the website. We are committed to providing a reliable service and steps have been taken to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum.

I can confirm that our county has had access to the NMD for some months now, it works fine as a list of name/address of adults in scouting.

DougChandler
15-10-2004, 09:49 AM
How do we get on the list to get this free edition of Scouting Magazine? I heard about it about a year ago but heard no more until I was looking on the corporate website for something else and noticed that it was there and being distributed!

I am the chairman of our group and assumed that I would receive a copy automatically.

Richard
15-10-2004, 10:56 AM
The whole thing is online:

http://www.scouts.org.uk/wps/portal/.cmd/ad/.ps/X/.c/201/.ce/6010/.p/5510#6010

I'd contact your district that'd be easiest, they can check why you didnt get it

Dave
20-10-2004, 07:42 PM
How do we get on the list to get this free edition of Scouting Magazine? I heard about it about a year ago but heard no more until I was looking on the corporate website for something else and noticed that it was there and being distributed!

I am the chairman of our group and assumed that I would receive a copy automatically.

Doug,
You need to have a word (a few thousand if you ring up!!) with Lou Rosser. Unless you are paying capitation as a warranted leader (or GSL) you will not get one.

Dave

Gareth
18-11-2004, 12:44 PM

The chances are (as have been found in my district) that you are not recorded on the membership system at HQ and therefore won't get a copy of scouting. If you're added (as all Exec Ctte members should) you can select to receive the magazine. If you are worried about the expense of more than one copy of the mag being sent to an address you can select to not receive the magazine on one named person.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know how HQ are getting on with the new database as it keeps locking up for me and at the current rate I can't see how we're going to get the youth membership on there from January!

Gareth

Richard
18-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Yes well I was at a demo of it at Scottish Conference, where James Wren (person responsible) was going over it

They acknowledge there are teething issues, which they are working on, such as speed. But they are improving things as they go. Even though there was a fast internet connection available we were seeing screen shots. shows you how much he trusted it!!!

The data is based on the data they have been given via Adult appointment forms in the past on the whole if something is not up to date, thats down to your group/ district/county or the leader not telling people they have moved. However thats not always the case as anomolies do turn up

gromaticus
02-12-2004, 07:24 PM
I've just received the "First Full Edition ". In general its not to bad.

The one thing that struck me, where the photos of the new Chief Scout, on pages 18, 22 and 23. It may just be me missing the point, but why isn’t the he wearing uniform? especially during the launch of a major event. He appears to have only one tee shirt with the word SCOUT ironed on the front.

It's hard enough trying to get young people to turn out for events in uniform with out the figure head of the association setting such an example.

The seven page cub supplement could be condensed in to 2 by dropping the 4 page “Neighbours” like cub leaders meeting script.

Waxy
02-12-2004, 09:58 PM
The mag is ok, content and style are good.

As far as PD and uniform, I look forward to my tshirt with LEADER across the chest :)

Akela Ben
18-10-2006, 10:31 AM
The style and quality of the magazine is very good. The content lets it down badly. I'm fed up of reading about scouting abroad, northpole expedition or how Peter Duncan thinks everything is wonderful. Yes where is his uniform? More everyday scouting is needed, we don't all have groups with 100+ members, we don't all go on summer camps to Bulgaria and spend half term in the rainforest. More information and ideas for small everyday scouting groups please.

robinhood_2nd
18-10-2006, 12:02 PM
i agree, it makes me feel is that my explorers are missing out by me not running something as grand as other

shiftypete
18-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, it does sometimes make you feel like you're doing something wrong just because you're not organising international trips etc. Some more articles on weekly meetings and ideas for activities would be appreciated.

curtisuk
18-10-2006, 02:57 PM
The only way you will get a story in is to write it your self as the magazen staf are a small team so why don't you send in a story about what you do as a small group.

and see if it gets in as this is what thes groups that do big things do its allways a try.

jelly
18-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually that is a scout and proud T-Shirt that PD is wearing in all his photos, and he took it off an explorer scout's back!