PDA

View Full Version : User Ranks

Richard
10-03-2004, 02:34 PM
The subject of User Ranks has raised its head:

At the moment when a user joins they are called a member on the board, when they reach 40 posts they become a senior member.

The titles of moderator and Administrator denote people who carry out special functions on the board (or specific forums) and wont change

I would recommend no more than 6 user ranks, but if any one can suggest anything more interesting than member, senior member. feel free. Remember to tell us how many posts you need to reach that rank

bandmaster
11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/ allow users to specify a title.

What additional value do ranking names bring? Is ranking a valid item in user profiles? (Apart from Mods/Escouts staff)

Richard
11-03-2004, 03:53 PM
The forum you mention is a vBulletin forum (costs money for a license) and is a feature of that board, user defined ranks, its not a feature of this board at the moment.

The aim of this thread is to get a concensus as to what we could put there, ranks have never been intended to be serious, just fun.

bandmaster
14-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Richard,
Interesting that when the topic is moved and renamed, the opinions/suggestions dry up. The initial thread "Senior Members" solicited a far wider response. This kind of supports my view that quite a few folk don't understand why we have user ranks.
Perhaps this posting will re-awaken the discussion?

James-J
15-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Perhaps we should just leave it as it is?

Only computer literate members of the movement will probably ever use this site, and therefore most will probably be aware of the meaning of the user rank senior member. There are always exceptions however, so perhaps there should be a permanent annoucement explaining the ranking system.

There ends the confusion, if there ever was any

bandmaster
15-03-2004, 08:26 PM
I have gained a lot from Escouts forums. I am almost always on the receiving end of useful advice/tips and think that it is great to have this method of networking and sharing information. That said, I hope no-one takes offence, or takes this the wrong way -

It seems to me that stating that "only people who are computer literate use thes forums" reinforces the idea that we are in some kind of exclusive club. That is exactly what I dislike about user ranks.

My experience has been that existing forum members, mods, etc have been very helpful. Escouts was the first forum I ever used, and I actually learned how to use forums from this experience, as well broadening my knowledge by taking part in the discussions.

I would hope (and I am sure that this IS the case) that all forum members would wish to encourage people who are less (in my case, heaps less) computer literate than themselves to join in and begin to contribute and/or ask questions. Any device that suggests exclusiveness could (and probably will) discourage this. In other raelms of life I.T. experts are terrible for this - appearing to use jargon/unfamiliar terms on purpose to reinforce their position in the club and bamboozle the dumbfounded onlooker. (This is not my experience of Escouts).

Alternatively an occasion may arise when a new poster to forums addresses a question to an individual "Senior Member" by name, in the mistaken assupmtion that "Senior" implies someone who knows more. The recipient may well have no idea how to answer because of the limitations of their own skills/knowledge/experience.

For me, it would be excellent to be able to view a person's true experience levels and/or areas of expertise when reading forum content. As someone who can learn a lot from other forum members, I might then choose who to direct specific questions to and/or PMs. I would also better understand how any given individual's previous experience leads them to a certain response/point of view.

The comment, "There ends the confusion, if ever there was any", appears to imply that I might be trying to create a problem/issue out of nothing. I am sorry that James sees it this way because that was not my intention at all. On the contrary, I brought the subject up because I was genuinely concerned at the implications of being labelled a "Senior Member".

Daniel
15-03-2004, 09:25 PM
im sorry - but i cant see a problem with the current system.

Only computer literate members of the movement will probably ever use this site, and therefore most will probably be aware of the meaning of the user rank senior member.

I think james was trying to say that out of the members in the scout movement, it is highly likley that the members that are using this forum are use to computers as most will be involved with building a website (as escouts use to offer free hosting), and probably understand the system.

Richard
16-03-2004, 05:12 PM
okay I've added a poll here about continuing to use user ranks:

http://www.escouts.org.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1224

but please continue to post opinions here

Richard
16-03-2004, 05:15 PM
IF people want to keep using user ranks we can then discuss what alternatives we could have, and have a vote on the options. You have 7 days to vote in the 1st vote

harryman100
16-03-2004, 05:19 PM
I agree with Allister, User ranks would be great, if there was some reliable way to tell a persons experience from them. If this is not possible, then I think user ranks shouldn't really be used, but I see no reason to change it if it is going to take effort. Either that, or changing them to something that indicates that it is not level of skill as such, like "Regular Member" or "Ever present"

James-J
16-03-2004, 05:45 PM
I have to say, i did not meant to cause offence if i did, but thankyoy Daniel for understanding, i was trying to say that we are computer literate becuase we are here, we all know how to use computers and access websites. But i do not want to argue with anyone as i see arguing as a waste of valuble time. A small issue like this shouldnt be causing these arguements, and so i look forward to a ruling decision from the admin team of this board.

Thankyou and sorry for any offence

Graham
16-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I think your taking it a bit OTT, it's just "a little bit of fun" and if this ts taken seriously...

James-J
16-03-2004, 09:28 PM
thts wht im sayin!