PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ranks?

Bloory
19-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Opinions here please folks...

Suggestions for posting ranks are wanted. FOr example people posting over 10 posts might be 1 star, people posting over 20 might be 2 star etc. Some good names are needed to fit in with what we are doing. Any thoughts?

Ross
19-05-2003, 03:16 PM
What about

Beaver
Cub
Scout
Explorer
Young Leader
Leader
AGSL
GSL
ADC
DC
and so on?

The team could be Chief Scout!

Ross

jamieharrop14
19-05-2003, 04:24 PM
I think you certainly should have Baden Powell as the top rank.

:cool:

Jamie
http://www.warleyscouts.org.uk

Graham
19-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, that sounds good, Jon as Baden Powell.

Ross
19-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Oh sorry - forgot about BP. Yes - Jon has been voted BP :)

Ross

Bloory
20-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Hmm, Shouldn't Richard be the founder?

Anyhow, wouldn't Beaver, Cub, etc get confusing with what we are/do in our Scouting jobs?

What about - and I'm copying somewhere else here - currys - the more posts you have the hotter you get! :-P

Steve Hulka
21-05-2003, 12:05 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't want to be a Bhuna! :shock:

Chris
21-05-2003, 12:11 PM
here's a sad one.

different levels of comunication

smoke signals
mourse code
telephone
internet etc

told you it was sad :oops:

harrogate20thscouts
21-05-2003, 02:33 PM
I don't think it should be the names of the sections, because that would get confusing. I like the idea of the starts, and I think your team should be called BP's.

Graham
21-05-2003, 03:04 PM
I think that stars would be good and the number of stars represent the level. We could have names like: Beginner, God, Supreme Being and things like that more of course.

Ross
21-05-2003, 03:10 PM
No - why don't we call the ranks by Planets. The sun being john, the next closest being the team, and the further away you get from the sun, the less posts you have.

Ross

mattw
21-05-2003, 03:55 PM
No - why don't we call the ranks by Planets. The sun being john, the next closest being the team, and the further away you get from the sun, the less posts you have.

some of us dimmer people dont know how far planets are from the sun so would get confused instantly.

i dont much like the idea of sections, thats a bit confusing. i think something non-scout related would be best to avoid any confusion.

nout wrong with using stars in my view, albeit a little dull

stuartr
23-05-2003, 09:16 PM
there is some mountain ones around somewhere. instead of stars. kind of like the higher you get the more mountains you have climbed or something...

Bloory
23-05-2003, 09:58 PM
I like the mountains idea.

Ross
23-05-2003, 10:02 PM
What mountains could we use - British or all over the world??

Ross

Bloory
23-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Depends what is most well known and how many ranks we wanted.

I have a thing about the wasdale horseshoe...

marcus
24-05-2003, 02:34 PM
I think I'll still go for the stars, maybe replace them with fleur-de-lys

Allan Thomson
17-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Personally I often use an Army Medic site, where they use a ranking system, and I do not find that there is a problem with confusion between the persons real rank, and the one which they are listed at according to the number of their postings. At the moment, I don't actually see a space for our real rankings anyway. Could this be added?

Graham
17-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Right so I can get going with this rank's we seem to have scouting jobs, communication methods, planets, mountains any other ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Richard
17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Hmm, Shouldn't Richard be the founder?

No thanks, I dont want everybody wanting to be me, that would just be tooooo weird. Yes, okay I started Escouts, but more important than Baden Powell, no thanks 8)

BTW I've seen the Beaver, Cub, Scout..... ranks before on http://www.bishyboys.org.uk forum, and I think their wrong, Beaver shouldn't be the bottom, as the Beaver is a full member of the Association, that just happens to be 6 or 7.

But then again, thats the whole problem, people take it too seriously :(

Cyril Robinson
17-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Why all the fuss, after all are we not all here to help each other? after all we are meant to be a family or is that just a myth. But there again I might be just the boring old fart in the game. :?:

Bloory
18-07-2003, 05:48 AM
I'm with you Cyril. Although it's nice to see at a glance who's posted loads/who needs a little more help pergaps?

luke
18-07-2003, 11:18 AM
I was looking at the phpBB website the other day. They have decided to remove rank titles from all of their forums with the exception for their team members.

Why did they do it, well to discourage people from posting just to increase their rank! I am not saying people here on Escouts would do that but just worth a thought!

See http://www.phpbb.com/news.php?id=15 for the full story.

Graham
18-07-2003, 02:53 PM
I see where your coming from, perhaps a pol do you want ......

Thanks

Ross
18-07-2003, 05:43 PM
I agree with your valid point. People would post garbage posts, just to improve their rank and their post count.

Maybe ranks isn't such a good idea afterall, if we are going to get many 'rubbishy' posts??

Ross

Chris
22-07-2003, 11:37 AM
I have to disagree, it's not that type of forum, you wouldn't see posts with just LOL or equivelint.

remember were all in scouting, fame and fortune dosen't mean that much to us :P

mattw
23-07-2003, 10:24 AM
out of interest how does the one at the moment work? (ie how many posts are needed to get each level?)

im currently number 6 which im sure means something, dont know what though.

as far as posting garbage is concerned, i do that anyway, and im sure i will continue to post mindless junk whether we have rankings or not. On a serious note though i agree with chris in that i dont think it will make a difference. You can always keep resetting peoples post counts if they start being silly so they lose their stars!

Graham
23-07-2003, 10:38 AM
6 is the highest and yo have to post some amount which i can remember but we wont use it for mcuh longer...

PJ
30-07-2003, 07:02 PM
So what's going to happen about this rating chaos then? I like the idea of a certain number of symbols showing rank whether those symbols be stars, mountains, fleur-de-lys, pc's, postboxes or whatever! i don't think it will encourage people to post junk, but may encourage people to become involved with the forums more!

watfords
30-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Just to throw another idea into the pot, cant we have different kinds of annimations, like some of the smilies some people have.

Each simley or animation could then represent the number of posts.

I like all the other ideas aswell, but best keep things simple so everyone can catch on with the system easily and create no confusion. (So stars then???)

Greg

marcus
01-08-2003, 07:04 PM
I still think fleur de lys. I've found some (the ones that scoutbase use on their search page: -

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/images/search/