PDA

View Full Version : Are these sites getting too samey?

marcus
27-05-2003, 11:04 PM
It seems that everyone here is trying to jump on the latest CMS bandwaggon.

I remember that we had a debate about people copying the scoutbase theme, and I was just wondering if people thought that all the postnuke sites were starting to look a bit samey?

I suppose this will become less obvious when more cms systems are found so a wider variety are used

GrumWSmith
27-05-2003, 11:11 PM
I see your point.. that's why I'm in the progress of making an *individual* theme with a different layout for my main site.

I only wish other people would do so!

I can hope.. lol

harrogate20thscouts
28-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes, in some ways I agree, but things like Post Nuke are just so good. If I had the knowledge, I would create a different theme for my Post Nuke site, but I don't know how to, and anyway people can change the layout of Post Nuke with a bit of effort. My site looks a bit boring at the moment, as I am just using the original post nuke theme, I wish I could have a better one.

mattw
28-05-2003, 01:28 PM
i dont have a problem with them, and much prefer them to the samey frontpage jobbies that were floating around a few years back!

however i wouldnt want one for our group and as such have made sure that i have done as much coding as possible myself and not used any CMS type package - all it takes is a bit (or a lot :-D ) of time and patience and its not too hard to make your own CMS that suits your needs.

stuartr
28-05-2003, 08:45 PM
I agree that they look similar. I have never been tempted to use one, as although they may be simple to use, I imagine making a theme to fit someone elses script is almost as complicated as writing one myself, which I did (note: the one i use is actually an extended version of one me and a friend are writing for a charity in our area).

and also because I have NO design skills, so making something look nice and different is hard.

Matt
29-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Actually, making a theme to fit PostNuke isn't that hard - there are programmes such as Auto-Themes which make it easy, but becuse postnuke is built around a strict API and has documentation on theme creation, it is actually quire straightforward - albeit a bit monotonous.

harrogate20thscouts
29-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Matt, How can I find this programme Auto Themes?

Thomas

Graham
29-05-2003, 11:59 AM
I think Matt was referring to auto theme which you can download at: http://spidean.mckenzies.net/

Mattrombone
29-05-2003, 05:20 PM
why not just learn a bit of html and learn how to d some simple sripting, WHY make things so complicated?

Matt

Matt
29-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Thanks Graham - that's the exact auto-theme i was reffering to!

I do agree with you Matt, but for someone that doesn;t know any scripting and wants a dynamic site with millions of extras that you would have to code yourself or run as add-ons with separate skins such as downloads, links directories, calendars etc then PostNuke is probably the best thing they will come across.

Look at this site - we use phpBB. In order to change the look, we have to re-template it - ok, no problem, but on my personal site I use phpBB, b2 and paFileDB - each with it's own set of skins - the result is a site which still hasn;t been complete because it means i have 3 sets of template files to trawl through - PostNuke would mean it was only one...

bandmaster
14-06-2003, 11:15 PM
I don't think I used post-nuke. What does it mean anyway? A friend who is a website designer for Disney told me "Content is King". Aren't all the bells and whistles sometimes just a distraction?
My site is my first attempt at any web-page building.
Any comments or criticism of the site is welcome.
Cheers
Al.