PDA

View Full Version : Adult Recruitment

Richard
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Are you actively doing anything about adult recruitment?

Dave
03-07-2005, 08:57 PM
The District Explorer Scouts are taking the climbing wall around all the local village shows/fairs and getting people to fill out a form for more information with a draw at the end for a meal at a well known local eatery. To date we have gained two leaders!!

Graham
04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
No, but defineatly should as we have no beaver leaders, no group chairman, an SL who is GSL, a CL which won't be with us for long, and 2 SL's for 30 scouts!

shiftypete
04-07-2005, 04:41 PM
We have had only one Beaver Leader for the last 10 years and now have no Akela so we really should be looking hard to recruit new leaders but the only thing done about it was me emailing the local SSAGO which has led to a few students helping out with cubs occasionally.

James-J
04-07-2005, 06:16 PM
We have a full compliment of leaders, GSL, SL, CSL, BSL, ABSL, we also tricked the parents a few weeks ago into coming to our AGM by getting the sections to put on performances, we got around 3 new members on the exec from it. I would reccommend doing this to anyone, it works!

Daniel
04-07-2005, 09:05 PM
hahaha, talking of AGM's we sent out letters about the agm a few week before we sent out letters for a race night, someone happened to put the same date and time on both letters, lol, well it got the parents there and we did advertise the agm on the first letter anyway lol

as for adult recruitment, we do need more leaders, ACL's would be good, but its finding them, we have drained all the possible people from one of the ASL's work place hehe

phil_cole
05-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately my group for too long has taken the view that DISTRICT will magically produce leaders when they ask. The group is therefore really bad at finding leaders. What makes things worse is that I WAS found by District 5 1/2 years ago. Now I'm about to leave, they're relying on the same thing happening again.

This attitude comes from the Group Exec. The leaders among us are trying our best to use the parental help we are offered and to chase new possibilities when they come forward.

On a positive note, the group website, produced by an ex-ASL does generate a number of possible leads from time to time through its contact form.

Phil

stripey999
13-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I guess we must be quite lucky after reading other groups problems. We have: GSL, SL, ASL, CSL, 3 ACSL, BSL, 3 ABSL, 2 parent helpers and a junior leader. Included in our OTHER roles is 5 training advisors, one DC and one Gilwell team member - obviously we have 7 wood badge holders and the rest are all studying hard. We have a web site but most of our recruiting comes from word of mouth through parents dropping off etc. They help out at camps and activities and see a lot of proactive planning and interesting visits. We ask as many parents as posssible to become CRB checked JUST IN CASE we may need extra help for a trip. Once they are checked, they seem to be quite happy to take an extra step to help on occassion. Once they help, we have them!!!

miken
13-07-2005, 01:42 PM
We are not that bad off compared to others but thats luck more than anything else. as all sections have at least 2 or 3 leaders with a new beaver leader starting soon. earlier in the year the scout section temporaly closed due to being unable find a new leader. we tried various methods news paper even scout HQ but there is not really any adult rectruitment literature. all recruitment is geared to young people which is good but very short sighted as without the adults there would be no scouting. Then A past scout heard we were looking and came forward. So all i can suggest is that why not try some of your past scouts who left a few years ago.

WideMonk
13-07-2005, 03:04 PM
A quick run-down, our Leaderbase consists of GSL, BSL (but not for long), SL and 2 ASL. I am running Cubs so I still need to keep my on-going recruitment drive.

We have pleny of willing Beaver parents to help out on a rota basis but that seems to be it. When I tried to get them appointed as Colony Assistant (Associate Member, no uniform, no promise, just training modules 1 and 3), they must have seen me coming with the cotton wool... to pull over their eyes.