PDA

View Full Version : Message boards and chat rooms

Mattrombone
01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know where a good place to get message boards or chat rooms for another website i run is? Free ones are good but i don't mind paying.

Thanks for any help given.

Matt

GrumWSmith
01-07-2003, 04:37 PM
www.xmbforum.com

well the ones in the cpanel should have links to their creator in them, so you could try having a look there

Bloory
01-07-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm with phpbb (www.phpbb.com). XMB 1.6 is flawed in terms of security features. If you really don't mind paying vbulletin is the daddy :) I bought a licence (since sold) to use here, but it was a whole new learing curve.

You mat want to check out the hotscripts.com site for some flatfile forums for sites hosted elsewhere. We don't allow them here as they slow the server down for everyone.

mattw
02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
vbulletin is my preffered proper messageboard job, but phpBB is not vastly different. You really need a MySQL database driven one though, else it will be painfully slow and messy.

if you dont want a whole package as such and want to easily mould it to your site, then phorum (www.phorum.org) is a pretty nice one and is what our site uses (see sig for url) - was chosen for us because it could easily be modified. Depends what kind of thing you want really.