PDA

View Full Version : Links Database

Daniel
20-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi,

What do you think to a database of links which can be placed on your website, without any updating or upgrading on your part?

Like a script which is on my site but is included on your website with a php include link?

Links to be added would be submited via the form within the script and a report link feature.

Ok i may be dreaming here but i think ive got some basic ideas, possibly something like what is on www.4thgolcarscoutgroup.org.uk/links.php (http://www.4thgolcarscoutgroup.org.uk/links.php) i know thats not all that good atm, but im working on it.

Also one feature could be custom colours and layout to fit your site.

Maybe we could link it in with the links on escouts (may have to think about that one)

Anyway please let me know what you think before i think about coding this.

Please vote above

thanks,

Daniel

Could you also post below your views for your vote, it would help, thanks

Daniel
20-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Well ive voted Not sure, cant decide, what would be the point in asking people by posting the poll ?!? :)

rich
20-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I think that some may find it useful, but I personally wouldn't use it on my site- purely because I would have no control over which links appear.

would they be general 'scouty' links, or links to scout troop sites etc?

Daniel
20-08-2005, 10:00 PM
hmm, well they would be links to any scouting related website.

Or would this be more suitable if had a script which was hosted on each site, but read links from one database, however it allowed site owners to active or deactivate links which they wanted.

rich
20-08-2005, 10:24 PM
if you had site owners accessing (I assume) a remote mysql database, I would be concerned about security...

It would mean that you would have to accept queries from any IP, rather than just localhost. The only reason why I asked about what sort of links, is that if sites linked to lots of other sites with low google page ranks, their own page rank is 'leaked' to the other sites, making them lower down in the google rankings.

Daniel
20-08-2005, 10:32 PM
yes these are things which all need bringing up, afterall it was just an idea about a hour ago.

Im now thinking maybe a script which is hosted on localhost (ur own site) with database updates every month for example, with all the new links that have been added over that month included, but then it would require input from the users to upgrade etc. But keep the ideas coming :D

Richard
20-08-2005, 11:27 PM
I currently link from MidlothianScouts.com to the database of links on Escouts, but I have control of that. So although I currently do it, even if I didn't do Escouts I'd probably link to a central database like Escouts, if it was available.

In my view, there seems to be an ever expanding no of pages of pointless links, many out of date, that being the problem!!

As for the Escouts solution, well it's not ideal, there are alternatives in vbulletin, but the solution we have is not to bad, (I think).

Mind you, I'm sure you guys will let us know, opinions please

Richard
20-08-2005, 11:36 PM
yes these are things which all need bringing up, afterall it was just an idea about a hour ago.

Im now thinking maybe a script which is hosted on localhost (ur own site) with database updates every month for example, with all the new links that have been added over that month included, but then it would require input from the users to upgrade etc. But keep the ideas coming :D
Sorry Daniel, but I have my cynical hat on, apologies. I had this hat on a lot yesterday at work!!!

Anyway, a Script and database that needs updated, ouch why, so they can look part of the website, it orignates from, mmm

A lot of pain for some links, if you ask me!!!

Maybe we should revisit the Escouts link solution, maybe not. We seem to revisit it every year or so, so no change then!!

People can just go there, or not as the case may be!!!

marcus
21-08-2005, 08:44 AM
I appreciate the idea, but I wonder whether just linking to the Escouts link database may be a better bet?

Daniel
21-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Yep may be a better bet. Im wanting to find the best way to have as many links on my site as possible, so even if working on getting links into the escouts forum and linking directly to that, that is something to think about.

Daniel
21-08-2005, 07:56 PM
ok, ive spoken to jason and one solutions would be to have a central website with a user area and have a login form, on the login area users could decide which of the links they want to display, they could then set there own header and footer and (similar to the google search here - http://www.google.com/u/4thgolcarscoutgroup?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=golcar) there links would be at a website domain/username which would display there header and footer along with the links they have chosen to display.

I'm thinking of going ahead with the script anyway just to get some learning and expand my knowledge of PHP and /MySQL. So let me know of any features you would like me to TRY to include and ill give it my best shot.

This could take a while to complete but hey worth a try.

Let me know your views :D

Richard Willars
22-08-2005, 08:06 AM
It depends if everyone would have the same links...
If everyone had exactly the same links as everyone else, our scouting part of the web would probably end up becoming redundant, as everyone has already been on everyone else's pages.

If the database held lots of scouting links, and you just pick what catagories you want to use....ie Caving, Badgework, Scout Association....that way there is a bit of variation between sites, and no-one will probably have the same list of links.

Also, if the user could include their own links...because i know i would like to include local tourist attractions etc... such as on www.willesley.org/campsite/attractions

This system would probably be done better with XML...one main copy of the XML file...and all the websites read that file, and update their own databases accordingly...
That would also overcome the problem of letting them add their own links :)

Daniel
22-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I will be using PHP and MySQL due to the fact that i have never used XML, and im wanting to learn more MySQL and PHP.

All the links will be optional, users can select the links they want to display on there site, i'm thinking of having a default number of links which will be displayed on a users account when they sign up, this will be totaly random so if webmasters do not change which links they want on there site they will get a random selection.

As for everyone displaying every link in the database maybe a maximum number would be possible so users can only have a selected number of links? (maybe something to think about)

Google ranking change can be stoped by adding rel="nofollow" to every link in the database.

We could include a custom category and links section so users can add there own links to the database but them links will be unique to that user. and only displayed on that users links directory.

Anything else which needs to be thought about?

Your ideas and views are very useful :D

Richard Willars
23-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Personally, I'm not keen on the random idea...
I don't like the idea of promoting a random beaver unit from London, when I would rather be giving priority to groups within my area, and other units across the country which we've done activities with.

The max no. of links is a good idea.
I think this should be promoted more to keep everyone's websites uptodate with the correct information, it ensures links don't become redundant...

Btw XML it incredibly easy to use....and would have to be used in conjuction with PHP & Mysql, because you still have to store all the links in your database, and then the PHP builds the XML file. The client scripts then come hunting for this file say, every 24hours and then update their own databases accordingly.
Something to consider anyway, but remember that way you would be learning XML, PHP & MySQL.

Daniel
23-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for your views,

Would you think that as default users are set up to display all links from there county for example? instead of just random links?

XML i have no experience with this, however currently i believe that we will be using a main site with users having there own theme on the database hosted on that site, very much like the google search above, then there would be no need for scripts to look for the database to update. as it would be all in one database.

Anyone have any more views or ideas?

MCE
31-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Im gonna have to go for a no on this one... i thort of doin a links database for scouts ages ago, but there seemes to be little point!

You have Scouting search engines such as baloo which cover any added scouting site, and it already works well... I also dont like the idea of removing traffic from my site, im happy to link to some sites that deserve it but would not advertise any scouting site, county based or not.

Also you may then need two links sections, for example for companies, sponsors, events? I know i link to more than just scouting sites and i enjoy being able to control that, i can monitor my click thru's etc.

At the end of the day, everyone wants something a little different, which is why they are likely to opt for their own system or a link to either baloo.
Sorry to b so negative, but these are the things that made me decide not to do a links DB when i thought about it some time ago!

Keith
31-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your views,

Would you think that as default users are set up to display all links from there county for example? instead of just random links?

XML i have no experience with this, however currently i believe that we will be using a main site with users having there own theme on the database hosted on that site, very much like the google search above, then there would be no need for scripts to look for the database to update. as it would be all in one database.

Anyone have any more views or ideas?I learnt XML for work, its very good. visit http://www.w3schools.com/xml

Daniel
31-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks,

At the moment another project has taken over and i am planing that (you may find out about this in the future) So ill have to put this on HOLD untill i either decide to go ahead and improve my sites links database or scrap the idea, or even change the ideas behind it.

Thanks again

Daniel

Matt M
08-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Daniel, I submitted my explorer site to that links database on your site and it's still not listed. But anyway, as many of you know ScoutSearch is almost complete, and in 24hrs or so the domain will be resolved and hosting will have been sorted out. I started this because I went on Baloo and it was down - it has been down ages, I got tired of waiting so I did a state-of-the-art one. There is a screenshot of the search page on the thread titled 'Scout Search' located Up.

I hope people will use it, I have done it so it will crawl Escouts Links page and automatically index the links, so if you're listed on Escouts, you won't need to submit. Please tell all your friends :D . I hope Scout Search will turn out to be a great success. Note: In 24 - 48 hrs, please visit: http://www.scoutsearch.org.uk and you will be able to use it. Any tips / hints are welcome.

Daniel
08-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Domain is active for me :D

The reason your link hasnt appears is due to currently changing the way the links are inserted into the database / moving to a custom CMS, - as this is going to take some time i will add your link when i get some spare time, thanks for the link