PDA

View Full Version : Scout leaders names

Margaret Oliver
26-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Im just restarting my scout troop. When I last ran a troop the only name I was aware of to use was 'Skip'. My other leaders didn't have one.

Since the cub section has many Jungle Book names to pick from what if any are available for scout leaders ( clean responses please! ):bigsmiley

daveb123
26-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Im just restarting my scout troop. When I last ran a troop the only name I was aware of to use was 'Skip'. My other leaders didn't have one.

Since the cub section has many Jungle Book names to pick from what if any are available for scout leaders ( clean responses please! ):bigsmiley

I think there are quite a few threads on here discussing that very subject.

However, to get things started again; many use nautical names even though not Sea Scouts, some use nicknames - we have one who was called Wood so he was called Woody, next to him was a tree surgeon so was called Lumber the person nect to him in keeping with a theme was called Jack.

I am called David or Dave and many seem to follow that theme around here (their own names rather than mine though).

I'm sure someone will manage to point you to the other threads though.

Good luck with the Troop.

chubbchubb
26-05-2011, 10:41 AM
When I was a cub my nickname was 'Chubb Chubb'. When I went to Scouts the name came with me and now that I am a leader the kids call me 'Chubb'

David Kendall
26-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I am called David or Dave and many seem to follow that theme around here (their own names rather than mine though).

Perhaps it is a Scout name as that is what I am know as too :D

PaulE
26-05-2011, 12:00 PM
We use nautical names.

SL (me) - Skip
ASLs - Bosun, Pilot, Coxswain, Purser, etc.

tdjno
26-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Nautical names here too.

I've happened upon Stitchy

kjburdon
26-05-2011, 01:13 PM
We use derivations from our normal names; hence my signature. A scout started calling me "Mr. Keef" about 15 years ago and it has stuck to the point where alot of leaders call me Mr Keef.

I have even had mail addressed to Mr & Mrs Keef!

Sparkgap
26-05-2011, 09:54 PM
One group I was involved with had a father and two sons running scouts. Skip, No.1 & No.2. When No.2's wife came along she was known as No.3!

GuruChris
29-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Nautical names for us too.

If you're looking for inspiration we've got a selection along with descriptions of what they actually mean on the website here: http://www.3rdcb.org.uk/scouts/naval-names/.

Chris

DRM
29-05-2011, 01:04 PM
We only use first names, however when I was a scout we were asked to think of a name for the ASL, It didn't go down well when I suggested we recruited a 3rd ASL so as well as skip, we could have hop & jump.:bigsmiley I'll getmy coat now lol

Klaynos
29-05-2011, 03:10 PM
When I was a scout we had skip and all the other leaders were Mr Surname... Now we're first names, or Sir during inspections... We've briefly discussed names, but it's not high on our list of priorities and we're pretty happy at the moment...

GuruChris
29-05-2011, 06:38 PM
When I was a scout we had skip and all the other leaders were Mr Surname... Now we're first names, or Sir during inspections... We've briefly discussed names, but it's not high on our list of priorities and we're pretty happy at the moment...

Every so often we get a new Scout in that calls the leaders "Sir", he's soon corrected, it just doesn't feel right to me (and that from someone who's called sir all day long at work). I'm quite happy with first names at Scouts, although with three Chris' on the leader team it can get confusing at times.

CHRI5
31-05-2011, 12:22 PM
We have names, I am Skip as SL and the others have taken the names of animals, Wolf, Vixen, Fawn and Lemur.
some of the scouts do call me 'Sir', but my response is 'dont call me sir unless you are trying to sell me car insurance'.

Alfbranch
31-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Alf, Pete, Paul, Stuart and Matt serve us just fine.

Daniel
31-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Alf, Pete, Paul, Stuart and Matt serve us just fine.

We just use our real names too.

CambridgeSkip
01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
To the scouts I am either Graham or Skip. Other leaders it is just by first name.

Our Cubs are quite strict about Jungle Book names so when I go to cubs to talk to the older ones about moving up I am strictly Skip to them!

SimonM
01-06-2011, 09:09 AM
First names for us too.

Before my (17 year) break from Scouting, I was Skip, but ASL's were known by first names.

Simon

pwpaul
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
we tend to stick to first names, but the one I always object to is "Miss".

Gboyle
09-04-2013, 09:54 PM
My scout troop also made nick namea for leaders and I stead of skip, I was given (drum roll) gavatape ... instead of gaffa tape ... I like to think because im so useful

Gav

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

GaryJH
10-04-2013, 02:02 AM
I get called by my first name or by 3 of them dad, luckily they are my kids, I say luckily....

bernwood
10-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Our cubs werent comfortable calling me Akela, and the assistants, Bagheera and Balloo so we rapidly dropped them. The only time they refer to Akela is in the grand howl, and as they not talking directly to me they're fine with that.

cbKernow
10-04-2013, 09:32 AM
My scout troop also made nick namea for leaders and I stead of skip, I was given (drum roll) gavatape ... instead of gaffa tape ... I like to think because im so useful

Or because they're stuck with you...

DerekBuck
10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
We just go by our first names in Scouts though some do call me Akela as I'm the Cub leader (no official role in Scouts just help out most weeks).
That said the SL is sometimes refered to as "Alan Da Boat", which is wrote on the back of one of his jackets (really need to ask why). Bit strange he doesn't use Skip as he's a water instructor and I've heard him refered to as Skip on occassion.