PDA

View Full Version : scouts.org.uk website

marcus
11-12-2003, 12:25 AM
They've changed it (I stubled onto it by accidnet by missing the e out of escouts :-D )

What does everyone think of the new site?

www.scouts.org.uk

My opinion is that it looks better than the old one, but I wonder if it couldn't be combined with the Scoutbase site to form a much more streamlined website for scouting.

Richard
11-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Ah but its has a bigger future! Membership Services.

Yes, a national database, for everyone It'll be fun honest

Craig
11-12-2003, 10:05 PM
been in the closet for the past few weeks? j/k :P

It's interesting to say none the least, can't wait for it to go national

Steve
13-12-2003, 11:33 PM
What does everyone think of the new site?

www.scouts.org.uk

Certainly better than the old one.

However, I don't enjoy visiting sites that force me to install something special (and pretty unknown).

If you say "no" to the "do you want to install ..." question, then you get to answer the same dialog every time your browsers requests a new page
:-(

This really sucks - and they will lose a lot of visitors because of it.

(except those that auto-install enabled in their browsers, which I suspect is the pre-installed default for IE).

--
Steve

marcus
14-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Download what? I just looked at it in Mozilla 1.5 to check and it didn't ask me to download it. What was the file?

I have noticed that the welcome to people who are not Scouts his hidden at the bottom right hand corner of the front page. Not good for an advertising site!

jwjmoore
14-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Seems like a nice new site, perhaps they will actually bother to reply to my emails now. I have sent 5 emails to their Explorer Scouts contact address...

Trying to get hold of someone to support Explorer Scout leaders is high on impossible....

Steve
14-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Download what? I just looked at it in Mozilla 1.5 to check and it didn't ask me to download it. What was the file?

I just fetched it and it's java - Lotus Menu. I don't see why IE needs to *install* it, though.

If you use IE with auto-install disabled, it asks if you want to "install and run xxxxx.cab". .CAB files can contain just about anything, so any sensible visitor would answer "no".

Tried the site with Netscape 7 and Opera (masquerading as IE5.5) and didn't see any similar prompts.

--
Steve

marcus
14-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Ok thanks. I don't remember downloading it but I suppose I must have done.

rosschapman
19-12-2003, 10:57 AM
The scout sections have now been added, but no sign of the Leaders part of the website. Looks colourful enough, and the coding involved must be phenomial, but I have a big problem with the sizing; there's pages this width and that length making the time and effort spent a little problematic.

I'm guessing joe public will be able to sign in in the the New Year