PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel you are supported well by your Group Scout Leader?

Richard
18-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Do you feel you are supported well by your GSL?

Richard
18-09-2005, 09:52 PM
This poll is for people in Groups only, I'll do another poll in the future for Districts etc

David
19-09-2005, 05:22 PM
yes, our GSL supports us.
he comes down to meetings of all the sections about once a month if its possible.
also he helps our troop out, because of the number of leaders.

recneps
20-09-2005, 07:55 AM
We only have on unit - Scouts - so our GSL is also our SL!!!

WideMonk
20-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm a GSL and I like to think I support my Leaders.
Like David's, I visit them every now-and-again and I'm always contactable.

So let me take this opportunity to use this audience as guinea pigs... what else constitutes as GSL support?

Kastor
20-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Things a GSL should do (from a Section Leaders perspective)

Stand in when Leader(s) can't be available.
Chase District about training.
Encourage interaction between Sections.
Develop a Leader recruitment system (don't leave it to the Section Leaders - they're too busy running the Section).
Encourage good planning and a good programme.
Chase the Executive to encourage the parents to help with fundraising etc.
Hassle District/County to provide events.
Don't expect Leaders to come to you if they have a problem, go and ask them how its going and what you can do to help.

Not a lot really!!

HazaR
20-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I get reasonable support off the GSL.

However this is my es GSL
As I am now an ESL. with a partnership agreement.
The district support is non existant since forming 2 years ago

WideMonk
21-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Kastor, should we stick a broom up our... to sweep the floor too ? lol

Seriously tho, I think they are all valid points.

---------

HaZaR, Bear in mind that theres a fine balance between the GSL not doing their job cos they're useless, or not doing their job due to lack of support from district. Trust me, I know the feeling.

humpty
21-09-2005, 08:28 PM
our gsl does more than most of our section leaders. he is currently running the scout troop adn he is a regular weekly visitor to beavers and come along ever other weeek or so to cubs. hes helping with the hut extension pushing through the transfer of the land (were gona own the land as well as the hut) hes helpin set up our yl explorer unit and hes still got ime to be a normal person aswell. so yeh all credit to gsls. our troop couldnt run without him.

miken
22-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Being GSl for several years now i hope i have found the right balance between supporting the section leader and family. As to doing the role i feel you must have 100% support from your family. But where where a lot of GSL's fail is a lack of support from District and County as decision are made at this level and are never thought out the process of implenting the decision and the outfall's and then the GSL's are left to pick up the pieces

Richard
23-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Being GSl for several years now i hope i have found the right balance between supporting the section leader and family. As to doing the role i feel you must have 100% support from your family. But where where a lot of GSL's fail is a lack of support from District and County as decision are made at this level and are never thought out the process of implenting the decision and the outfall's and then the GSL's are left to pick up the pieces
Yeah, I have to say, from a Commissioners perspective, many things we do fall on deaf ears, but the next poll will be about districts. I'm not picking on GSL's

Matt Barden
25-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Our GSL Dave, does far more than he should. He helps me at Cubs, has recently started up a new Scout Section, and is acting Group Chairman. He is always at fundraising events, although you never see him at church, apart from annual St Georges Day Parade. So yes I feel our group is very well supported by the GSL. :beer:

shiftypete
25-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I didn't thing a GSL could act as Group Chairman as the two roles are supposed to monitor and support each other

WideMonk
26-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Correct Pete, POR Rules 3.24a and 3.24e state that the Group Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer should not be held by a Scouter.

A huge shame cos our secretary would make an excellent much-needed Akela.

Just another point, I didnt realise until recently that Exec officers dont have to be appointed (for the group to pay capitation), its only 'encouraged' (footnote of Rule 3.1).

shiftypete
26-09-2005, 01:47 PM
If I were you I would find a new secretary and ask the present secretary to become Akela as in my experience Leaders are much harder to recruit than Exec positions

justin
26-09-2005, 04:26 PM
the gsl can be group chairman as but just for a short whlie ie temp if no one can be found /illness etc it is in por some ehere