PDA

View Full Version : What to do tomorrow night?

ianw
21-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I had a plan, it was a good plan, firelighting and cooking on fires, which would have been fine for the 15-18 that I normally get.

Now, as the leaders from another unit are all off to scoutabout this weekend, I've got their explorers too, so could have 30-40 instead.

I've not got enough stuff, or place, to do firelighting with 30-40 kids.

I should have 3 leaders, and I'll be in a 7 acre campsite that's mostly open, with some trees.

Probably too late to tell them to bring anything, and for them to reliably all bring it!

I can shop in a major town, but there isn't an outdoorsy shop bar millets. Oh, and I'm busy tonight so can't get to any diy sheds either.

I did say it would be some kind of team challenge, but not pioneering.

Help me escouts! You're my only hope!

Ian

astwood7
21-06-2011, 08:11 AM
a Games nights with ultimate frisby (http://www.whatisultimate.com/what/what_rules_en.html) , rounders, extreme dodgeball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Dodgeball)- 4 teams and they all play each other at everything

Good luck.

Walsallwizard
21-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Why change the night? It is a good plan and although it may stretch your Leaders, there must be some of the Explorers who are competent at this that can be used to supervise younger Scouts. If not demonstrate to a small group and let them go teach another, those that are waiting can then go in search of suitable burnable materials whilst firelighting demonstrations take place.

andypagett
21-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Suggestion 1 - Do it anyway? I've had 40 scouts doing fire and cooking with 3/4 Leaders before. It will be harder work keeping an eye on them all than 15-18, but with Explorers if you explain that their good behaviour gets them an activity they wouldn't be able to do I find they normally give the extra 10%. Any parents you can rope in for extra eyes? Despite being told to the contrary, I'm yet to find a campsite that doesn't have enough burnable stuff to build a few small cooking fires if you look hard enough. Out of 40 sets of parents, a few are bound to have somes stuff you can burn too!

Suggestion 2 - some sort of search and rescue widegame? Man stranded in woods, go find, make stretcher, bring back, make brew and shelter for him.

shiftypete
21-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I agree with those suggesting an outdoor games evening ultimate Frisbee etc and even a big wide game have gone down well as District Explorer activities for us before now.

ianw
21-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Ok, ordered some more knives and sparkers, greenman's usually next day, I might well extend the activity to a team of 6 with 1 injured, two or three rescuers, and three making a cup of tea for their return. I can fish out the trangia pots, or borrow some billies from the scouts - must remember washing up liquid for the sides. And I've got some foily space blanket bag things, maybe they'll do as stretcher material, hmm, thin and rippy I suspect, got some orange survival bags too, but don't really want to sacrifice those either. Hmm.

Nice, thanks all.

Ian

Raksha
21-06-2011, 02:54 PM
They could use their coats on the stretchers or lash more wood to them, its their job to work out how to get the injured party back to the welcome cup of tea!

ianw
22-06-2011, 07:54 AM
They could use their coats on the stretchers or lash more wood to them, its their job to work out how to get the injured party back to the welcome cup of tea!

Coats? Explorers? [shakes head in bafflement] if it was forcast for hail and snow they wouldn't remember thier coats!:bigsmiley

Ian

Doug in Canada
23-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Ah yes but Raksha is expecting it to be clear and hot so of course every one of them will be carrying a coat!

Raksha
23-06-2011, 06:32 AM
take a spare one and demonstrate what they could have done if they had brought a coat? Now my boys are past that age, I forgot that wearing a coat at that age is deemed a sign on weakness .

ianw
23-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Ah well, extra knives didn't turn up in time, but it didn't seem to matter, 5 teams, 5 fires, multiple cups of tea and hot chocolate, two explorers with "broken legs" rescued, though one got dropped more times than strictly necessary, and I got told "you stink" when I got home. 26 happy explorers I think. A good night.

Though I never learn, lent my opinel to an explorer, and the silly sod managed to snap the blade. *never* lend your knife, I know, I know.

Ian

Testarossa
23-06-2011, 09:19 AM
and I got told "you stink" when I got home.

Ian

Ahhhhh, the sign of a successful night!! :bigsmiley