PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel you are getting effective support from your District?

Richard
05-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Do you feel you are getting effective support from your District?

Vote and discuss the topic here!

Craig
06-10-2005, 06:53 AM
The DC is supposed to be acting as DESC. Nothings happened in the 2 and a bit years ive been an explorer. When i was a venture, we were more than supported from the Group.

Now as a District entity the only correspondance we've had is with the District Treasurer asking for our Capitation.

WideMonk
07-10-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm on the fence. Certain aspects are good and others arent.

For instance, getting minutes for the district sectional meetings is excellent from Scouts but rubbish from Beavers. The District Appointments Secretary seems to be on the ball with CRBs but not quite so hot on getting new leaders interviewed and finally, the local training manager is keen to get things going but not so hot getting things validated.

1stRustington
07-10-2005, 11:34 PM
The DC is supposed to be acting as DESC. Nothings happened in the 2 and a bit years ive been an explorer. When i was a venture, we were more than supported from the Group.

Now as a District entity the only correspondance we've had is with the District Treasurer asking for our Capitation.

We are still as much a part of our Group as we were as Ventures. They provide us with tremendous support and resources, both with equipment and funding.

We would love to have District events and for all of the Units to share programmes etc, but the Districts need additional Leaders to achieve this. Maybe in the future......

:)

stuartr
08-10-2005, 08:46 AM
I voted "What is the District?" mainly because we don't have any active districts within our area. Although there is apparently "North East Lothian" and "South East Lothian", there have been no DC's (that I know of) for a few years at least We are a smallish area though, so doing things at an Area level is not a problem.

Richard
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
I voted "What is the District?" mainly because we don't have any active districts within our area. Although there is apparently "North East Lothian" and "South East Lothian", there have been no DC's (that I know of) for a few years at least We are a smallish area though, so doing things at an Area level is not a problem.

Yeah, the very reason Midlothian dispanded the districts about 5 years ago now. In Scotland there are about 15 or 16 Areas that effectively running without districts either officially or practically.

Also why this proposed re-structuring in Scotland, now actually has legs. Though its taken 20 years :confused: for the Scottish Board to agree to take it any further :rolleyes:

If the restructuring does go through, there will be the following levels>

Groups > Districts > Regions > ScottishHQ > UKHQ

stuartr
08-10-2005, 03:33 PM
If the restructuring does go through, there will be the following levels>

Groups > Districts > Regions > ScottishHQ > UKHQ

I heard about that. One of the guys who is on the team was at our AGM iirc. And although some people in the room didn't seem to like the idea (gah! change!) it seemed to me very similar to the way we actually operate anyway, and moved several of the less used positions higher up the hierarchy so less were needed.

Matt Barden
09-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I feel that viewing our District from Cubs and Scouts, the Cubs and leaders and well supported, with regular camps, badge days, football competitions and leaders meetings. Where as the Scout side never seems to organise or offer any kind of activities or support for the leaders.
:beer:

Gordon
13-10-2005, 11:44 PM
How about this for a thought. If your District is not supporting you have you told them? Do you make an effort to ask for support? Do you actually want support and if yes what do you want them to do? It is great to hear success stories but we very rarely hear thank you and well done to the volunteers who stand in the direct firing line to try and help. If this subject bothers people so much become a DC or a member of the District Team and sort it out.

curtisuk
14-10-2005, 09:53 PM
all district for many years was just ploding along with then current dc just making the basics where done and probaly realy did not want it but new some one had to do the job.
a new DC was found and our district has gone from stength to strength with developing a new structre as we are a district that covers a farly large area and groups well dispersed so now instead of having sectional ADC we have Cluster ADC (ADC Group Support) that look after 2-4 groups and they support all leaders and GSL in thoess groups. and a ADC Activities (me) to make sure district run events happen. we are still in the first year it seems to be going well and other districts are trying it now.

Akela Ben
18-10-2006, 10:22 AM
District support:) What District support. There is no district support here. I haven't met or spoken to my ADC Cubs in over 2 years, in fact someone else could be doing the job for all I know. As for the rest of district, who?

PeterSheppard
18-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Which District does Lampeter fall in anyway? IIRC, it sits on the boundary of three Areas?