PDA

View Full Version : Knives

claydon
18-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Whilst away at a camp some of my may mates were told that they would no longer be allowed to carry penknives with them for Scout activities. Personally I use my knife more than any other piece of kit. The 2002 Edition of POR(Policy Organisation Rules) says that "Knives may not be worn with uniform except for religious reasons." (Chapter 10 Rule 10.4) (http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/por/2002/10_3.htm#rule_10.4). If a scout is trained properly then they should be allowed to carry a knife, at the end of the day which bit of kit is going to help you cook, build your shelter etc etc.

jamieharrop14
18-08-2003, 08:31 PM
I am 15 now going on 16, to be honest i bought my first ever knife while at Kandersteg International Scout Centre in Switzerland in the year 2000 around this very date in fact, that would have made me 12. The first thing i did when i got it was cut my thumb and the case it came in. So, that shows i was too young.

I feel, depending on the maturity of the Scout, that 14 would be a good age, that also ties in with the start of being a Scout.

Thats just my oppinion anyway.

Dave
18-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Whilst away at a camp some of my may mates were told that they would no longer be allowed to carry penknives with them for Scout activities. Personally I use my knife more than any other piece of kit. The 2002 Edition of POR(Policy Organisation Rules) says that "Knives may not be worn with uniform except for religious reasons." (Chapter 10 Rule 10.4) (http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/por/2002/10_3.htm#rule_10.4). If a scout is trained properly then they should be allowed to carry a knife, at the end of the day which bit of kit is going to help you cook, build your shelter etc etc.

There is no mention of not being able to use knives. When I was Scout Leader I actively encouraged the Scouts to have a decent clasp knife(not a sheath knife) often giving out decent ones as prizes. Now with Explorers we allow the use of sheath knifes but not worn on uniform as per POR. As part of the Scout/Explorer training there is a section on the use of knife and axe!

Dave

Bloory
18-08-2003, 09:41 PM
It's a training issue - my former ASL could make Knife, Saw and Axe training very very enjoyable. No-one failed the strict course he ran on camp and as a result I was happy for any Scout who he had trained to carry a knife on Scout activities (providing their parents were). In the 10 years I worked with Lol, we never had a single incident or accident with knife, saw or axe. And we camped traditionally - backwoods skills, open fires for cooking etc.

marcus
18-08-2003, 10:45 PM
I think that training people how to use knives is the most important rule. As with Axes and saws, if properly trained the dangers are less.

We allow Scouts to carry folding pen-knives (not sheath knives) while on camp or when using them for a specific purpose, but as POR requires they cannot carry them on their Uniform (leaders however ...).

I'm sure 'Scouting for Boys' used to talk about the usefullness of the camp knife, and the well trained usage of a knife should be permitted.

Craig
19-08-2003, 08:20 AM
I'll have a look in Scouting for Boys when i next go down the hut! yes we do still have copies. In our Scout Group we say to the scouts you are not allowedf to have a kinfe with you, Unless, 1stly you have past the Knife, Axe and Saw programme, 2ndly you've got to be trusted by the GSL and 3rdly if your not above 15 your not allowed to bring one. Some of our younger scouts have got the Axe, Knife and Saw certificates, but we have said to them with supervision. Our GSL is strict about Knifes and when we go onto such places liek Intercamp if you have a knife and he finds out he will conviscate the knife till we return to the UK and send it to the Police for destruction. so we are very strict on it. But over 14/15 (Explorer Age) we see its ok if they have the Certificate.

Kristan
21-08-2003, 12:01 PM
I agree with the training point of view. As long as people know how to use it (and how not to!) there shouldn't be a problem.

One of my Ventures has one finger shorter than the rest following an axe accident on a previous camp as a Scout. Ironically, he was chopping wood to make posts so he could mark out a 'safe chopping' area! :x

GrumWSmith
27-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Personally, I think they should be allowed.. but in my area, a lot of them carry them anyway!

I'm talking about scouts and explorers here..