PDA

View Full Version : The price of the new Scout Assn website

marcus
02-01-2004, 01:45 PM
I quit liked the design of the cms that the Scout Assn are using for scouts.org.uk, so I went looking for it.

I found the site for the system, WPS Portal but to get the licence for the system the site states that the price is &euro 11,500!!!

This price is also without the members section being added.

I cannot see why TSA has gone for such an expensive system considering the plethora of free and much cheaper CMS systems around that produce good sites. Last time I checked we were a charity!!!

:mad:

PS: The site for wps portal is http://www.wpsnet.com/site/page.asp?a=s&artid=677&cat_id=70&t=

Graham
02-01-2004, 01:49 PM
They've got more money then we all think! I personally think it's a nice site but in some places you can't go back, err.

Scott
02-01-2004, 02:31 PM
It's a complete waste of money IMO!

harryman100
03-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Agreed, complete waste of money, I have had the opertunity to use WPS (on a daily basis - its the system we are adopting at work, albeit on a MUCH larger scale!) and its c**p. There are plenty of people out there related to scouting, who would produce a much better result, for much less money.

claydon
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Surely the Scout Assn would do far better giving out some of the money to groups who's HQ's are falling done, like ours.

Richard
03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah but I think you are all missing the ultimate point of the new website, membership services.

The new website will be used as the ultimate system to record and update a complete membership database, awards and achievements of the young people and training of the Adults.

Now from where I'm sitting thats a pretty good idea, why? Because, it will ultimately track what my whole area is doing, will benefit the young people by keeping track of what stages they are at, will benefit leaders as they'll be able to keep track of what their young people are at. Oh and it will do away with the census.

Now I am one of the biggest supporters of GPL License CMS Systems, and I am also a huge propnent of HQ using the volunteer talent it has first before wasting money getting a company in. However, if HQ are spending our money and we get on the whole the system that suits, then so be it.

From what I can see, the CMS element is just a small part presumably the membership system will be a custom written add on module, which will be expensive. But then you'd have to write a custom module for postnuke, phpnuke or whatever GPL CMS system you used.

So, the real question is can you find some volunteers of the SA who could write a module for a CMS in a specific time period, upon which your entire membership system was going to be based upon, or do you get a company in.

So its good old GPL against paid for debate again. The Scout Association took the predictable root!

My biggest concern from where I sit is getting the users (leaders and young people) to use the thing, and who is going to support them, that'll be me then!

harryman100
03-01-2004, 11:35 PM
The big crunch point, is whether it will be used, does any one actually have any figures for how much of the SA is actually connected to the internet? Then take away the people who don't use it because they don't know about it, don't use it because they don't want to, don't use it because they don't have time, don't use it because they object to using it because they have to download some dodgy applett thingy. Then what percentage are still using it? Surely a system like that will only be useful if the vast majority of people use it, other wise, someone else is always going to end up chasing the missing data.

Hmm....

Richard
04-01-2004, 07:07 PM
The big crunch point, is whether it will be used, does any one actually have any figures for how much of the SA is actually connected to the internet?

I think you'll find the number of people connected to the net is quite high. I spend time telling people how they can get information through the post, they keep asking me to either email them, or ask for the website address.

Whether via home, library, school, work a significant number have access. Also a number of Scout Groups are making facilities available to leaders and young people.

Then take away the people who don't use it because they don't know about it,

This should be addressed by you County as the time nears when your County goes online.

don't use it because they don't want to,

Well you'll always come across this, no matter what system you use, paper or computerised.

don't use it because they don't have time,

I'm not denying thats a consideration

don't use it because they object to using it because they have to download some dodgy applett thingy.

There is nothing dodgy about the applet thingy

Then what percentage are still using it? Surely a system like that will only be useful if the vast majority of people use it, other wise, someone else is always going to end up chasing the missing data.

Hmm....

As someone who is constantly chasing various pieces of data for various things in Scouting. I think there are various pluses and minuses in this type of system.

I strongly feel that the Pluses outweigh the minuses. During my daily work in the Health Service, I'm a System Administrator for a Clinical System.

My 2 big concerns for this scheme are Training and Support, it hasnt been explained to me how this is going to be tackled.

Having said that yes we can put resources and effort into getting once system for the whole SA to use, or we can bury out head in the sand and continue to was time and money on local systems, and still have very inefficient ways of collecting information, and still go through the ridiculous census farce we have each year.

So all that said, will it be used, we'll only know if we try. There may be some groups that just put enough info on it for census, OTOH there will be Groups that love it because they can properly record all their info on it.

We wont know until we try!

Hightower
16-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Doesn't anyone else think Scoutbase is much better? Not as 'slick' or 'trendy' looking but it works a lot better.

jamieharrop14
16-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Indeed, i have thought for a long time that scoutbase could do with a new look but just think.... my guess is that the site was designed when SSI and php includes were like talking dogs of today, ie. not there or 1 in 10 million so it would be a massive task.

But it does the job and thats all that matters. SBUK has much more info, much more user friendly and seems to have 'real' people behind it, rather than some guy with the SA's bank card in his hand sat in gilwell park buying that CMS.

shiftypete
16-09-2004, 12:29 PM
I just tried to view the Scout Association site and while it was loading it shut down all of my browser windows. I have tried to open it several times now in IE and Firefox with the same result everytime. Anyone know why this would happen? Is it a problem with my computer or with the website