PDA

View Full Version : International Scout hosting

Allan Thomson
16-06-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't know to whom I am supposed to be addressing this to, but is there any websites dedicated to international Scout Hosting? If not is there anyone who would be wiling to set one up? I find it is interesting talking to Scouts from other countries, and it enables us to keep in contact after we go home from international camps.

Ross
16-06-2003, 04:17 PM
I don't think so, but there is a charities host: http://www.contributions.org.uk/ - I don't know if it is any good, but you could give it a try. I don't think we would host an international site, but you never know.

Ross

jamieharrop14
16-06-2003, 04:24 PM
I would love to set one up, only problem is, i dont have the money or the time at the moment.

Ross
16-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Well I'm sure Jon would gladfully set up you up in Pathfinderhost if you wanted. He is very cheap and offers GREAT services :D

Ross

jamieharrop14
16-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Yeah i know, :D

Just ordered some hosting of him yesterday for my web design company.
(http://www.warleyscouts.org.uk/webdesign)

Ross
16-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Well maybe you could order some more :):)

Only joking, but the International Scouting site would be a good idea if it was promoted enough....

Ross

Allan Thomson
17-06-2003, 05:41 PM
I have a few contacts in other countries, especially Germany and Austria. I will mention the idea to them, but how are we going to make it happen? Will it cost anything, as I am a poor student? Would the Scout Association give us financial backing?

Graham
17-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Scout Association - giving money not likely but you never know...., yeah it would cost.

jamieharrop14
17-06-2003, 06:02 PM
It would cost to get the web hosting reseller account, but i am sure it could be done through pathfinderhosting (which Jon owns).

As of yet i dont have any money, if someone were to ask the SA for some money i would be interested in helping.

Allan Thomson
28-06-2003, 09:17 AM
I just found out Yahoo have a scout chatroom under sports and recreation. It's mostly Americans on it, but there are a few other nationalities.

Dave
28-06-2003, 06:37 PM
One of the best wyas to keep in touch with Scouts abroad is through the Scoutlink IRC network. Details can be found here.....
http://www.scoutlink.org/

Allan Thomson
28-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks for that tip Dave

Richard
29-06-2003, 12:05 AM
I have a few contacts in other countries, especially Germany and Austria. I will mention the idea to them, but how are we going to make it happen? Will it cost anything, as I am a poor student? Would the Scout Association give us financial backing?

Sorry I just had to laugh :D

If you spent you life filling in papers, knowing the right people, then possibly, otherwise no.

The problem is any group (lower case) of people will not even get to apply from the SA unless you are a properly constituted part of the SA.

That's the issue I had when I started Escouts and the problem Jon and the guys restle with from time to time now.

Having said that Scoutbase started in that way, but that was specific to the UKSA.

As for something international, its all about bandwith and that is one of the benefits of using Scoutlink and newsgroups.