PDA

View Full Version : Mydoom Virus

Graham
29-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Hi People.
There is a current virus going round which emails all of your contacts in outlook, sending them an attachment that sends all their contacts and so on. The emils I have got are from people I know tih a .zip file containint a .pif file. Whatever you do dont run the pif file.

For more info go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Hope this helps someone,

Graham

Daniel
29-01-2004, 09:56 PM
I have been told that the virus (May not be this one) comes in a e-mail called test - and says something along the lines of this is a update.

Make sure your virus updates are upto date if you need to.

Daniel

Graham
29-01-2004, 09:58 PM
mine just said one word like update and then had update.zip

Bloory
29-01-2004, 10:04 PM
There seem to be all sorts of message titles and senders.

You may find it adviseable to disable (:blackhole:) all catch-all accounts since it seems to generate random users to send the mails to.

Daniel
02-02-2004, 09:52 PM
heres another link - this may be of use ior not?

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100983

daniel

minigbh
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Best advice Just Delete any Emails that contains attachment from some one you dont know if you do make sure you virus check everything you down load. or use a email server that pre checks your emails for a virus before you get it. AOL is one i know that provides this.

Daniel
03-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Some isps - i.e. AOL do check your e-mail before you get them.

Its your own domain e-mail address that will be most likely to get the virus.

Some hosts are doing alot of work to stop the virus. (Pathfinder)

daniel

Graham
03-02-2004, 10:02 PM
I got the virus from someone that i know, i..e. thats how it works, its sends to people in your outlook contact list.

Richard
04-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Its worth emphasising that this virus and many, many others spoof email from address books. So its highly likely that you might get a email with a virus in it, which comes from someone you know, but they may never have had the virus.

Eg If Joe Bloggs gets the virus, the virus spoof the contents of his address book and sends emails as they were coming from them, not necessarily just him.

stuartr
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Is it a good idea (or even possible) to bounce all spam? I get a regular load of spam to one of my email addresses (through one of my domains hosted on PH), but its not an address which is used for anything except accepting all the spam I get just now. All webforms I have filled in for the past however long have had specific email addresses to allow targeting of spam sources, but the one left I think used to be freely available on my site (foolish perhaps...).
So anyway, can I in effect shut down this one address and keep everything else coming in catch all? It wont remove spam from viruse which generate multiplnames, but it will get rid of most of it!!

Richard
04-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Just add a email filter where to equals, -email address- just bounce it.

stuartr
04-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I have setup a filter (using cpanel) and the default destination (which I currently have it as) is "Discard". I read this to mean that the email is just trashed, but not bounced as such. Even if bouncing would actually work....spammers dont seem to care half the time whether the account they sent to actually exists or not...

stuartr
05-02-2004, 12:50 PM
I am getting bombed by this just now. Have had loads of emails from email addresses with a name followed by a domain. Thankfully I know there isnt someone called claudia on escouts....

Daniel
05-02-2004, 07:38 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/mydoom.asp

check if your computer is infected with mydoom a or b by following the on-line tutorial above.

stuartr
05-02-2004, 09:41 PM
After letting that run for ages it eventually decided I didnt have it. Not that I expected to, being that the little thing that runs outlook is locked in a big lead box away from prying eyes.