PDA

View Full Version : Web Link Error

jamieharrop14
28-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi, i found the page where webmasters can put a voting sytem on their site where people rate their site and the info is stored at Escouts in the web links. I put this on my site, i must warn people who like to make their sites error free (eg, you spend all day validating your web site though the W3C Validator like me) that the code <b>(provided by PostNuke and not Escouts)</b> creates a lot of errors.

I was wondering if one of the Escouts team could fix these errors. (if they can be fixed).

Below are the errors:

Line 185, column 77: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "name"

Line 185, column 92: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "file"

Line 185, column 77: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "name"
...w.escouts.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 77: general entity "name" not defined and no default entity (explain...).
...w.escouts.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 81: reference to entity "name" for which no system identifier could be generated
...ts.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 76: entity was defined here
...www.escouts.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 92: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "file"
...odules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 92: general entity "file" not defined and no default entity (explain...).
...odules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 96: reference to entity "file" for which no system identifier could be generated
...es.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Line 185, column 91: entity was defined here
...modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index">
^

Richard
28-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Jamie

Some info I found

All of the meta tags in the head terminate with / > which is for xhtml compliancy but breaks in the html validator. Also, it seems that the links that are generated by PN and/or core modules use the & as opposed to & which does not validate.

The tags your seeing are valid XHTML tags. The core code is a bit of state of flux at the moment and is a mix of HTML and XHTML.

The introduction of the templating engine will go a long way towards tidy this up and make sure that we have either HTML or XHTML and not a mix.

Hope this answers the question.

So the problem is that there is a mix of valid html and valid xhtml.

Major problem, I disagree there. Does it display properly in all current browsers, that is really the question.

I'll check my install of Opera, and Netscape 7 and let you all know..

Are Escouts going to rewrite elements of Postnuke, No.

From what I can see see they will be moving to XHTML in the next few versions.

Hope that helps

jamieharrop14
28-07-2003, 03:30 PM
I have fixed the problem. All it took was me to change the two & signs and replace them with entity of &. I cant post the entity because it just displays the & sign. If anyne wants to know it please email me.

Glad to say, my site now validates.

Richard, in your last post, you said you were not going to edit PostNukes code, if you know how to do it i suggest you do, it is only 2 things which need changing.

IMO, dont go looking for a way to change the code though, i am sure escouts members can do it if you caqnt do it at your end.

Richard
28-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Jamie

I'm pleased you've found a solution. but what about the / at the end of the meta tags?

However, I really dont see where we benefit. I know we have far more pressing issues on our plate at the moment.

Anyway thanks for sharing the information