PDA

View Full Version : Terrain 1

martin1981
19-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Hi,

After many years "inactivity" on my part I am getting back into active Scouting and setting myself challenges to broaden my skills, for example aiming to become an accredited DofE assessor (terrain 0 only) and gain a nights away permit this year. The latter because whilst I am a DESC I am also opening a new ESU after Easter and be acting ESL for the forseeable future.

My longer term challenge (set myself 3 years) is to work towards getting a terrain one permit (and in the very distant future - terrain 2) for walking so I can expand the range of activities I can offer the explorers (and also be able to assess at Gold) and keep going around circles with the WGL qualification about the level of prior eexperience required prior to doing the course. Can anyone shine a light on this area because I am getting very confused.

Thanks

Martin

Neil Williams
19-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Forget the WGL unless you need it for another reason, and talk to your County Mountaineering Adviser who will be much more flexible with regard to courses within Scouting, I'd think. Certainly, Bucks runs a T1 course on Dartmoor that is similar to WGL but doesn't have the formal experience requirements to do the course (though it does in some form for an actual Permit). It is next weekend, but they tend to run one about the same time each year.

Neil

martin1981
19-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks Neil

Found the answer, but can't delete the original thread.

Neil Williams
19-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Might as well leave it as a resource for anyone else asking the same question, I guess...a lot of Escouts is like that :)

Neil

chubbchubb
19-03-2014, 03:05 PM
I took my leaders to Yr Hafod for a weekend doing training. We all had different levels of experience (myself having done WGL training, whilst others just walking in the local area). Get on to some kind of training course to see where your skills are and what needs improvement. I have already booked myself on an assessment at the end of the year so I have something to work towards.

On a note about Yr Hafod, the staff were excellent amd the venue is stunning, if you every get the chance to go I wold recommend that you do.

David Kendall
19-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Agree re Yr Hafod - great place. Did my T1 assessment there - Cheshire Scouting run annual training/assessment for T1 and T2

Rover
19-03-2014, 10:19 PM
good man and good luck we need lots more leaders to develop further skills, I have just obtained my T1 summer permit. a very long story but I decided I would try and set an example to some other leaders to show what was possible. so we spoke to some county people, organized some local training over a number evenings and weekends, and then took a couple of trips to T1 areas. There have been challenges along the way!!! but just look at any post on anything to do with permits and I think you will see the issues. We have just started another group of 12 following the same course this year, with some of those who were participants last year now helping to run the course to embed their knowledge. The couple of lessons I learnt were, when doing the mico navigation you need to be really acurate, and some people can be really picky over log books!! I spent some long hours going back through 4 year worth of diary's trying to remember what hikes I had done. so start you log book as soon as you can, and keep it up to date.

anyhow this weekend re-assessment for kayaking permit but thats another story...