PDA

View Full Version : Updated Log Books and Certificates??

Sarni
25-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if/when there are plans to update the Beaver Log Books and Certificates (from the Scout Shop) to include the update promise and badges?

I have 6 new Beavers this term but don't really want to have to buy outdated stuff for them!

Thank you!

(PS Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere - I did a quick search but couldn't spot anything!)

Newbb
26-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I doubt things will move that quickly. The badges aren't even out yet... I'm planning to put a small post-it note on it with directions to the Beaver Badges on line.

It will be interesting to see it there is a new log book out in time for September.

BigBadBaloo
26-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Why not ask the Scout shop? Although I think that if they have a stock of the old books/certificates you may be out of luck. I am not sure much "joined up thinking" goes on at TSA these days!

roger-uk
26-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Indeed an A5 folder with sectional packs would be better and allow for updates

frazzle
26-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Given that there is a further review of the programme due to come out next year I doubt if there will be any changes to printed resources until then.

Russell Corrie
26-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I doubt things will move that quickly. The badges aren't even out yet... I'm planning to put a small post-it note on it with directions to the Beaver Badges on line.

It will be interesting to see it there is a new log book out in time for September.
Great idea
Scout Shops should print a post-it note we could all use.

Newbb
26-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Taken that the new beaver characters have been around for a while, the SA still haven't changed the certificates.

I'm just happy to start working on some of the new badges.

Sarni
26-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your replies, I was thinking along those lines but just thought I'd check! I don't keep large stocks of those kinds of resources but I'd hate to buy some more only for them to be updated shorrtly afterwards. I think I'll be okay for a while though! :rolleyes:

Edit: Great idea about using post-its!! *steals idea*

Gammon Baby
27-04-2014, 07:12 AM
I got this from the Info Centre on Friday as I followed up a parent query as to whether there was another version of the Beaver promise and found the 'And to love our world' version had found its way into Chapter 1 of POR.

"At the moment a decision has yet to be made with regards to the certificates as they are due to be reviewed later in the year anyway."

I'm interested in hearing from any Beaver leaders who have advertised the alternative promise to Beavers or parents, how they've pitched it and how Beavers have reacted. We start our meeting by quoting the promise line by line at our opening ceremony.

shiftypete
27-04-2014, 08:04 AM
I would not expect the new alternative promises to be put into any of the publications like log books, scout handbooks etc as none of the previous existing alternative were in them either.

Gammon Baby
28-04-2014, 12:37 PM
I would not expect the new alternative promises to be put into any of the publications like log books, scout handbooks etc as none of the previous existing alternative were in them either.

I don't think there has ever been an alternative Beaver promise before. I would not be comfortable conducting a Beaver investment ceremony where some Beavers get certificates and some don't. In fact I might consider that a breach of the TSA discrimination policy. I'm actually thinking now of designing my own investiture certificates.

silverhairedbeaver
28-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Alternative promises are around for each section for people of different religions ie Muslim, Islamic, Sikh, Buddist etc but the Christian version using God is known as the Core Promise as this is what BP used. As the movement has changed so alternative promises have come in to compensate for the change whilst still keep the Core Promise.

shiftypete
28-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't think there has ever been an alternative Beaver promise before. I would not be comfortable conducting a Beaver investment ceremony where some Beavers get certificates and some don't. In fact I might consider that a breach of the TSA discrimination policy. I'm actually thinking now of designing my own investiture certificates.
I don't recall the Beaver investiture certificates having the promise on them but maybe the newest ones do as its usually our BSL who writes them out not me.

Bex
29-04-2014, 12:28 PM
The most recent Beaver Scout investiture certificates do have the traditional beaver scout promise on them.

rach
29-04-2014, 02:48 PM
The most recent Beaver Scout investiture certificates do have the traditional beaver scout promise on them.

I've seen an example where someone used the Printshop on scouts.org.uk to produce a certificate with the alternative promise - with the Beaver Lego Minifigs image. It looked really good, and wouldn't take too long to produce and print off.

Gammon Baby
30-04-2014, 08:13 PM
I've seen an example where someone used the Printshop on scouts.org.uk to produce a certificate with the alternative promise - with the Beaver Lego Minifigs image. It looked really good, and wouldn't take too long to produce and print off.

Thanks for the idea. I've had a quick look at it seems worth a go.

Emily McCunn
02-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Hi Sarni,

There will be changes made to the log books and all programme material when the programme changes in early 2015, so not for at least 8 or 9 months yet.

Hope this helps.

Emily

roger-uk
02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi Sarni,

There will be changes made to the log books and all programme material when the programme changes in early 2015, so not for at least 8 or 9 months yet.

Hope this helps.

Emily

I presume you will be putting an addendum page in with revised details?